amount of people who play hockey in canada?

Souray44

Jan 26, 2004
Mtl
You'll need to be a little more specific to actually get anything close to a guestimate.

Do you mean how many play youth hockey under hockey Canada? because i'm sure that stat could be found.

If you mean organized and beer leagues and pond hockey etc all balled into one then thats just silly to assume that could be known. It's just like saying how many people in Canada like grapefruit.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Id go out on a limb here and say that there is 30 Million people in Canada, so probably 80% of the male population within the 5-60 year age group plays hockey and 1-2% of the female population play hockey. So rough guess but I would say exactly 8,541,321 Canadians play hockey.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Id go out on a limb here and say that there is 30 Million people in Canada, so probably 80% of the male population within the 5-60 year age group plays hockey and 1-2% of the female population play hockey. So rough guess but I would say exactly 8,541,321 Canadians play hockey.

There are plenty of people that aren't sports fans. There are probably more people who aren't sports fans than sports fans.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan

80% is an insane guess. Probably 80% have played some variation of the game at some point in their lives, but that might be once or twice ever.

I'd guess 15% of Canadian males play some sort of hockey (ball/roller/ice) with some sort of regularity. Purely my own random guess though. I'd guess about 40% have played regularily at some point in their lives, probably as kids.

Bobby Orr

80% is an insane guess. Probably 80% have played some variation of the game at some point in their lives, but that might be once or twice ever.

I'd guess 15% of Canadian males play some sort of hockey (ball/roller/ice) with some sort of regularity. Purely my own random guess though. I'd guess about 40% have played regularily at some point in their lives, probably as kids.

From MikeC44's link:

Research has shown that hockey is the activity of choice of over 2 million Canadians.

2/30 = 6.7%. When you throw in inline/ball, and people who play, but don't necessarily consider it their "activity of choice", you're probably not that far off with 15%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad