Americans in the QMJHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was at the "Q" website and noticed that there are actually quite a few Americans playing in the league. I was interested in some comments on the following players:

Jordan LaVallee
Andrew Andricopilous
Jim Sharrow
Josh Hennessey
Matt Nickerson
Adam Pineault

I'm familiar with all, but would like some additional perspective on their impact in the league and their pro prospects. Thanks in advance.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Joey Ryan and James Pouliot are two I'd like to get some info on as well.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jordan LaVallee -- went undrafted last year, but is huge and hits like a tank. Starting to show his offensive upside...he has some pro potential because he can skate well and like I said he hits like a tank.

Andrew Andricopilous -- smallish for an NHL dman, may hurt him on draft day, offensive upside, will get about 50 pts in the Q as a 17 year old defensmen, which is great. Probably a 2nd round pick in 05

Jim Sharrow -- ATL property, 4th rd 03, he is tall but is having trouble puting on weight. ATL has interest in coverting him to a forward. Skating is his main asset.

Josh Hennessey -- Very good player. Dominating at times this season. He is fast, but he also uses his speed well, something some players dont do. He will make the NHL.

Matt Nickerson -- Havent seen him play yet but from all accounts he is a tough/physical dman who has above average skill set.

Adam Pineault -- Bulldog on the ice...very shifty, uses his size and speed well. Adjusting well to the Q.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Postman said:
Joey Ryan and James Pouliot are two I'd like to get some info on as well.

Both are late 87's so they are 2006 eligible.

Ryan is a good one. Tough as nails already and he just turned 17. Good skater and isnt afriad to fight.

James is underrated because he didnt play much last season. One thing that stans out when you watch him play is his hockey sense, he is a very smart player. Slick with the puck as well. Needs to get stronger and needs to improve his skating.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
James is underrated because he didnt play much last season. One thing that stans out when you watch him play is his hockey sense, he is a very smart player. Slick with the puck as well. Needs to get stronger and needs to improve his skating.

Still, his balance looks to be greatly improved this season, and he's playing a bit more physical.

Still a long way to go, though, but plenty of time in which to do so.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Phil said:
Still, his balance looks to be greatly improved this season, and he's playing a bit more physical.

Still a long way to go, though, but plenty of time in which to do so.

IMO Pouliot could be one of our better players, but our coach is possibly one of the worst for developing talent. He isn't ranked till 2006 because of a late birthday. I just find he looks for the hit tooo much sometime and forgets about the play, but overall he has a high talent level

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I remember watching Andricopilous and Ryan playing in Boston. From what I can remember. Ryan is a tough in your face type defenseman but lacks offensive skills. Andricopilous was just the opposite. Lots of offensive skill and a great skater but didn't like the rough stuff. I don't know how much they have improved but I would say Andricopilous will go in the third round and Ryan fifth round or lower.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
bigd said:
I remember watching Andricopilous and Ryan playing in Boston. From what I can remember. Ryan is a tough in your face type defenseman but lacks offensive skills. Andricopilous was just the opposite. Lots of offensive skill and a great skater but didn't like the rough stuff. I don't know how much they have improved but I would say Andricopilous will go in the third round and Ryan fifth round or lower.

Ryan isn't ranked untill 2006 though, alot can happen by then.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
La-La-Laprise said:
Jim Sharrow -- ATL property, 4th rd 03, he is tall but is having trouble puting on weight. ATL has interest in coverting him to a forward. Skating is his main asset.
My understanding is that Atlanta has every intention of keeping him on defense. It's his junior team that has been toying with him at forward. We have no real offensive defensemen prospects, so if he can develop, he'll have every shot at making the Thrashers roster in a few years.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
nomorekids said:
LaVallee seems to be doing good things with Quebec, this year. He might be worth a gamble to some NHL team.
In the games I saw so far he is the best player I've seen.He seems to have a solid all-around game.I came ready to pay attention to Hennessey's and
Radulov's play but he drew the attention away.At least from seeing him in
that game I can not imagine how he went undrafted.I have also seen Pineault
and he looked good the game I saw him.I think he and Bernier are having a small
problem meshing every game though.Besides scoring points in the game I saw,
LaVallee delivered a very hard clean check,just nailed the guy with one of the
best checks I've seen in awhile.I also saw undrafted Lascek play and you can
perhaps understand the scouts overlooking him because of his skating (looks
awkward but I think it's a bit deceptive)but with LaVallee you have to wonder what they were thinking.

Last edited:

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
nomorekids said:
LaVallee seems to be doing good things with Quebec, this year. He might be worth a gamble to some NHL team.

Yes he's very solid. it was very surprising that he did'nt get drafted. Now that he is able to put on some stats it's pretty clear to me that he have good chances to play in the NHL. He skate, hit, work hard and play in both ends. HE's an example of sometimes scout give too much importance to hockey sense. Specially with american kids who have played many sports.

Andricopolous is a bit of a deception so far, he is'nt able to dominate offensively and he is'nt really great in defense. he still have all the tools but could fall to the 3rd or 4th rounder.

Hennessy continue to do well but he have'nt improved much since he's 17, I think he'll be able to make it in the NHL as a defensive role because he's very fast and have a good hockey sense. He's also very skilled offensivly but with his size i'd be surprise if he's a 1st line center someday.

My favorite american (russian until he was 5) is Max Gratchev, he's available only in 2007 but he's already very good and work so hard. If he can grow up to 6"0 i think he might be a top10 pick.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kaiped Krusader said:
My understanding is that Atlanta has every intention of keeping him on defense. It's his junior team that has been toying with him at forward. We have no real offensive defensemen prospects, so if he can develop, he'll have every shot at making the Thrashers roster in a few years.

Jimmy came to us at 17 and he weighed 170..he is up to 175 now...he said in an interview he worked out ALL summer and didnt put on any weight. Unless he can add about 25 lbs he wont be a good NHL dman. After he was drafted the Thrashers told him there are tons of dmen like him in the AHL...if he wants to play NH he needs to get bigger and work on defense. He has imporved defensivly but he is still weak.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Max Gratchev has all the tools to be a top 10 pick in the 2007 draft. I have seen him play a lot in the Boston area also. In the past his biggest problem has been lack of on ice vision. There were times when I watched him control the puck from one end of the ice to the other and I thought he was just a puck hog but the more I watched him play I realized that he never really knows what is going on around him. He has tunnel vision with his eye only on the net! His father taught him how to skate, shoot, and stick handle but never taught him how to play with teamates.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
Hey Big D--
I agree, Gatchev is going to be good, but only if he learns to play with others (like other Quebec euros Radulov, Churilov, and Hennessy). He hangs his head when he's taken off the ice for D-zone face-offs in close games in the third period. Maybe there is need for an attitude adjustment as well.
Free Dental Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad