Americans in the CHL

Husky

Feb 3, 2006
Ottawa
How did americans like Bobby Ryan get into the OHL; I can't figure out whether they are signed like FA's in the NHL, are eligible for the Priority Selection or Import Draft...

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
The three different leagues are able to draft players from seperate parts of the country.

The Western Hockey League has teams in four Provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia) and two States (Washington and Oregon). Players who reside in Alberta, B.C., Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming are protected for the WHL and are eligible to be listed by WHL clubs through regular WHL listing procedures.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
So I guess the OHL gets New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Rhode Island, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and the 'Q' gets Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire?

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Vikke said:
This season, the WHL had its own American Selection Draft.

Prior to that, Americans have been part of the usual draft.
Americans were part of the regular bantam draft in the WHL this year. The American only draft for whatever reason was just California and Arizona based. No idea why they would do that though.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
chiefmonarch said:
Americans were part of the regular bantam draft in the WHL this year. The American only draft for whatever reason was just California and Arizona based. No idea why they would do that though.

It was done because of the special evaluation camp the WHL held (http://www.whl.ca/news/index.php?id=4407&showToc=1&). The players who were drafted in the first round of this special draft were allowed to be an "extra" player, and not immmediately counted into each clubs 50 player protected list.

The entire idea was to get the word out that there are alternatives to NCAA hockey for US players, and overall just gain exosure for the WHL to newer midget and bantam programs in the Southern California and Arizone areas.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
chiefmonarch said:

probably bc there were 7 players from the california wave 89s that played in the dub last year, and a handful of other americans in the league. they realize theres tons of talent down there, they just have to make players aware of the opportunities the dub has to offer. they'll likely never get alot of minnesota kids, but theres a good chance they will start to get the majority of top socal players.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
katodelder said:
So I guess the OHL gets New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Rhode Island, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and the 'Q' gets Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire?

the q is maine, mass, conn, vermont, new hampshire, and rhode island. the ohl is ny, pa, nj, ohio, del, maryland, virginia, wv, nc, sc, georgia, florida, kentucky, tenn, alabama, mississippi, mich, illinois, indiana, wisc, missouri, etc. im pretty sure iowa goes to the dub. it definitely looks like the q got the short end of the stick, with alot of southern states starting to produce high end hockey players.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Americans are usually in the regular draft and tend to go in the latter rounds due to the fact that there is the NTDP, College and Prep school and some kids just dont want to leave that. Bob Ryan was actually commited to the NTDP and he was drafted I believe 7th overall by OSA, luckily enough OSA got him. Another player was Bob Sanguinetti, he was taken in the 4th rd by OSA and he had also commited to the NTDP and the OSA got him to come to the 'O' so that was a huge steal considering he shoulda been a 1st rd pick.

What I am concluding is that it wouldnt be a bad idea if there was an American Draft for the CHL leagues. A lot of the teams wouldnt waste picks or miss out on a pick, thats just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad