Americans and their excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Maybe this belongs in the olympic thread in the other sports forum. The excuses listed in the column come from other sports. The only american hockey player quoted in the article gave no excuses for the loss today.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
It is too bad every American who has not won a medal has not spoken to that writer and accepted full blame for not winning, and perhaps then this joke of a bitter writer could allow them not to kill themselves.

I don't remember the media being such jerks in previous Olympics either, perhaps that guy could find another person who actually accomplished something and ghostwrite a book for them.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
btn said:
It is too bad every American who has not won a medal has not spoken to that writer and accepted full blame for not winning, and perhaps then this joke of a bitter writer could allow them not to kill themselves.

I don't remember the media being such jerks in previous Olympics either, perhaps that guy could find another person who actually accomplished something and ghostwrite a book for them.
What kills me about the article is this:

We've had athletes blame losses on missed buses, accused of staying out late boozing the night before events and complaining about the fans, the media and the pressure of it all. We've had them rip the accommodations at the Olympic village and make outlandish, impossible promises designed solely to grab attention and money.

Now for all I know these accusations very well might be true, but if your going to call out the American athletes, at least attempt to back it up with some facts instead of writing crap like this.

As for the American goalie for the Women's team, if she did refuse to shake heads, that is disgraceful.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Well now I am outraged. The US goale DID shake hands after the game, and this clown of a writer owes Ms. Gunn an apology.

Gunn had been the hero of last spring's World Championships, when the Americans defeated Canada in a shootout to win their first gold medal at that tournament. This time, she raced to the bench as the Swedes spilled onto the ice and flung down her gloves and mask.

She appeared headed for the dressing room when coach Smith stopped her, and she returned to the ice for the ceremonial handshake, actually leading her teammates before disappearing quickly into the changing area.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter06/hockey/columns/story?id=2334389

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
Regardless, there's no need for all this hate. The Olympics are almost half over and already the story has been nothing but "DISSAPOINTMENT~!!" from a number of sports writers. No encouragement, no noting who's leading in gold medals (love the condescendation for snowboarding guys; I guess now that Sweden beat Team USA in Women's Ice Hockey, it's more respectable??), no waiting until the games are close to over.

The meme has been decided on and that's what they're going to harp on. If an athlete makes something resembling an excuse, they'll run it; if not, you won't hear much about it.

Yeah, I'm not liking Olympic coverage outside of the live hockey games.

Good on Chandra Gunn for showing sportsmanship

Last edited:

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
That article pissed me off, and so did the "Americans and their excuses ...Another American disappointment, another American excuse."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Typical.

DevilFisch said:
Regardless, there's no need for all this hate. The Olympics are almost half over and already the story has been nothing but "DISSAPOINTMENT~!!" from a number of sports writers. No encouragement, no noting who's leading in gold medals (love the condescendation for snowboarding guys; I guess now that Sweden beat Team USA in Women's Ice Hockey, it's more respectable??), no waiting until the games are close to over.

The meme has been decided on and that's what they're going to harp on. If an athlete makes something resembling an excuse, they'll run it; if not, you won't hear much about it.

Yeah, I'm not liking Olympic coverage outside of the live hockey games.

Good on Chandra Gunn for showing sportsmanship

There is never need for any of this ****ing hate. I'm not enjoying the Olympics too much for some reason this year. All the fun of hockey continues to be taken away by all the insults, and we know who's giving them. Can't wait until the games are over and we can get back to the NHL.

I'm glad Gunn went back to shake hands. What an *** that writer is.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Yah, but you have to admit the girl snowboarder going for some show time and losing gold in the process was pretty lame. Not as bad as her not blaming herself for losing. Same with the male figure skater who blame his loss on his missing "aura". And don't forget Loady Miller who said he doesn't take the events seriously all thw while partying like a drunken sailor. Sad commentary on the quality of some, but very few, of the US athletes. Today's media is lazy and are always looking for the easy story so why lead with the chin.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
Big Daddy said:
Yah, but you have to admit the girl snowboarder going for some show time and losing gold in the process was pretty lame. Not as bad as her not blaming herself for losing.

That was just such stupidity. I don't know how you blow something like that and then don't own up to it. :shakehead

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
The snowboarder girl's excuse was pure BS. She tried to show off and she got burned on it. A disgrace really.

Also, Gunn did shakehands with the Sweds. She was the first in line. That article is BS.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
rohan said:
They could have used Cammi Granato's leadership...serves them right, they got what they deserved for the way they treated her.

I am so mad about that. And you're right, the leadership from her was absolutely missing.

ClawinAtcha

Oct 1, 2005
Miami, FL
hfboards.com
Lou is God said:
What kills me about the article is this:

Now for all I know these accusations very well might be true, but if your going to call out the American athletes, at least attempt to back it up with some facts instead of writing crap like this.

As for the American goalie for the Women's team, if she did refuse to shake heads, that is disgraceful.
That was exactly my thought as I was reading through the article. What the author is saying may very well be true, but it seemed very poorly researched, based mainly upon speculation and hearsay. Like I said, the agenda he's pushing may be true, but this sloppy article certainly doesn't prove much.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
BTW, this guy is a TERRIBLE writer. He has no business covering the Olympics, he is college basketball writer. But there's no excuse for all the talking US athletes do, especially the women, and not coming through.

Kfarschman

...Boomers in disguise
Feb 12, 2006
Deutschdorf, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Big Daddy said:
Yah, but you have to admit the girl snowboarder going for some show time and losing gold in the process was pretty lame. Not as bad as her not blaming herself for losing. Same with the male figure skater who blame his loss on his missing "aura". And don't forget Loady Miller who said he doesn't take the events seriously all thw while partying like a drunken sailor. Sad commentary on the quality of some, but very few, of the US athletes. Today's media is lazy and are always looking for the easy story so why lead with the chin.

If your talking about Weir, I watched an interview with him on tv right after his program where he was really mad at how bad he skated, saying stuff like the way he skated he didn't deserve a medal and so on. It seemed like he totally was taking the blame.

Bode said he only had one drink at dinner the night before his race, someone else was accusing him of getting drunk, it wasn't his excuse.

Anyways, your whole life is this sport and then you mess up for everyone to see and then seconds after without any time to reflect on what has just happened still out of breathe reporters are asking you questions like "so what went wrong out there?" I think some of the excuses are the athletes just going through their head for the first time trying to find out what happened today that they couldn't do every other day.

Kfarschman

...Boomers in disguise
Feb 12, 2006
Deutschdorf, Ohio
www.facebook.com
From the article:

Friday, it was that Swedish women's hockey team that did it to the U.S., 3-2 in overtime. They derailed an American group that has boldly called out the Canadians in the press, but couldn't even reach the gold medal game, falling to an upstart that simply wanted it more.

"an American group that has boldly called out the Canadians in the press"

By group, he means one player that also had a Canadian player agreeing with her.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Yes the person who started this thread is fairly dim and gets his thrills at knocking Americans but the FACT is that every country has its equal share of people who are poor losers and make excuses whether Russians or Canadians or Swedes et al!!

Just watch the excuses fly if Canada's men team do not win Gold at these Olympics...oh boy.......the litany of complaints will be tremendous!!

The U.S. team isn't having a bad Olympics at all considering some early disappointments.....Canada is having a tremendous Olympics and that is probably because we are gearing up for the 2010 games on our home turf......

However, that fruity American male skater was pretty funny....I think he blamed the Bus or his Aura......What a maroon......that was priceless!!

Anyways, the main thing is that France are doing lousy and for that we can all cheer ..... :clap: ............ha ha.....

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Big Daddy said:

she did take the blame, a while afterwords.

Right after the event she basically made an excuse. But an hour or so later she admitted she just got cought up in the moment and made a bonehead move.

The worst part was, if she woulda got up right after she fell, she still woulda won. She stayed down for some reason. Almost saying "I cant believe I just did that"

but she did admit to it, after she stewed a bit and realized what she did.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Drop The Gloves said:
The snowboarder girl's excuse was pure BS. She tried to show off and she got burned on it. A disgrace really.

I laughed. Hard.
Then I felt sorry for her.

Silly sport, 1 out of 4 didn't crash in the final. Meh.... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad