American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
RE: USNTDP invites - really interested in the two big NoDak commits, Jackson Kunz up front (#4 on NZ's list for forwardsbehind the established top trio of Stranges/Peterson/Smilanic) and Tyler Kleven on the blueline (#1 on NZ's list for defenders). Both are big, big boys who should be really hard to handle as they continue to grow and add strength. Can anybody comment on them firsthand? The Fighting Hawks also have defender Jake Sanderson high up on that list (#4 for defenders) - he's also already 6' and has the bloodlines as son of Geoff Sanderson.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
RE: USNTDP invites - really interested in the two big NoDak commits, Jackson Kunz up front (#4 on NZ's list for forwardsbehind the established top trio of Stranges/Peterson/Smilanic) and Tyler Kleven on the blueline (#1 on NZ's list for defenders). Both are big, big boys who should be really hard to handle as they continue to grow and add strength. Can anybody comment on them firsthand? The Fighting Hawks also have defender Jake Sanderson high up on that list (#4 for defenders) - he's also already 6' and has the bloodlines as son of Geoff Sanderson.

I have seen Kleven play and came away absolutely impressed. Plays really physical and uses his size really well. Loved him. Skating is excellent and made sound plays. Didnt see a ton of offensive flair but he was lock down on defense and was crushing everything in sight.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Yeah it goes both ways, I would have loved the Foote's to choose America after growing up in Colorado, but it goes both ways, Canada loses some to America, and America loses some to Canada, just what happens when the countries have so much spillover especially when guys go to teams in the other country and stick around after.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So the deal with Halliday is that he's likely Canadian. Played most of his minor hockey in Oakville before moving to Maryland. I've seen him play roughly a dozen times. If he were eligible, he'd be a lock.
everywhere I am seeing shows him from Maryland and born in the USA...interesting to know more on him, as he did spend time in Canada but I am not seeing him have any eligibility to play for Canada yet...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, my son played on Tyler Kleven's team in Termite.:D

Even then he was pretty big, but I seem to recall him getting cranky when we had to play a 10pm game in a tournament at the Ralph.

To sum up his game at the time, he had all the tools, but character concerns, unless he gets just the right Teddy Bear.

I think his Dad was a College player....maybe pro.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
It is nice to see the NTDP choose great players that fly under the radar. I'm betting that many of the unknowns invited to this camp are great young hockey players!

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Yeah it goes both ways, I would have loved the Foote's to choose America after growing up in Colorado, but it goes both ways, Canada loses some to America, and America loses some to Canada, just what happens when the countries have so much spillover especially when guys go to teams in the other country and stick around after.

As much as I hate it, it does make sense. These guys are drafted by teams and end up at 18 or 19 in another country where they continue to make their lives and pursue their hockey career. In my mind, it is unfortunate that the overwhelming number of professional teams are in the USA. It doesn't make for a level playing field. I do support the players on an individual basis however in deciding which country they favour playing for.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
As much as I hate it, it does make sense. These guys are drafted by teams and end up at 18 or 19 in another country where they continue to make their lives and pursue their hockey career. In my mind, it is unfortunate that the overwhelming number of professional teams are in the USA. It doesn't make for a level playing field. I do support the players on an individual basis however in deciding which country they favour playing for.
well, of late Canada has gotten a lot of these kids - Chychrun, Nolan and Callan Foote, Akil Thomas, Tag Bertuzzi, etc..all of these kids either born in the US/ raised here or spent a good portion of their young life here....this back and forth battle is only going to get worse.

Sean Day seems to want to represent the US, but he spent most his life here. Logan Brown can now only represent the US, but born and raised here as well..seems more US kids going to Canada than the other way around right now...

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything about Kacper Ryba? I'm not familiar with the league he plays in. I assume it's rather low level and he should be ignored?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Duel Dylan Robinson also not invited. I'm guessing he's also choosing the OHL route, as he's a top 30-35 OHL prospect. I'd be surprised if he weren't good enough for a camp invite.

He’s at the camp.

Looks like Robinson, along with Carter Mazur, were late additions due to injuries. Not sure which players are out injured.

Last edited:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Also, how do Jake Sanderson and Dylan Robinson qualify as an Americans?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->