American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
watched some good NE prep games this year and would think Moynihan, beecher, webber, knight, zegras, dolye, Farrell get some consideration

smalt021

Oct 19, 2011
STL
@ChicagoSteel

BREAKING: Shattuck-St. Mary's forward & Boston Univ. commit Robert Mastrosimone (@rmastro9424) has signed a tender with the Chicago Steel!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The NTDP U18 team didn't have the high-end talent like a lot of their predecessors, but they won their biggest tournament. Congrats to the team on their IIHF U18 Championship.

Quite a few players stepped up this tournament:

• Sean Dhooghe: He wasn't an offensive stalwart for the NTDP, but he came up huge here. You knew you'd get the hustle and determination, but for a team lacking superstar talent up front, Dhooghe contributing above his pay grade was integral to their success.
  • Max Gildon: He still has all the tools, and there's still a lot of untapped potential. He improved a lot from his U17 season, and was really strong here. I imagine he'll go in the 2nd/3rd round in the upcoming draft, but in 2-3 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see folks saying "how did Gildon go so low?" when all is said and done.
  • Mike Pastujov: He never lived up to the hype, especially after missing nearly all of his U16 and U17 seasons. He always showed glimpses that made you think he may turn the corner (i.e. Hlinka), but he always returned to inconsistency. However, like Dhooghe, he chipped in more offensively than you would have expected, and that was huge.
  • Dylan St. Cyr: He's been the #1 for this squad for two years, and he struggled in that role. However, he played his best hockey here. For a little guy, the way he battles is admirable, and he's especially good in tight. He still gives up a lot of softies (usually on long range shots where he's too small to take away the net), but he played well here and always gave his team a chance to win.
  • Oliver Wahlstrom/Joel Farabee: When you add U17 players for this tournament, you're usually doing so in hopes that they'll contribute offensively and both guys did so here. They played well, and this experience should be integral to the '00 age group turning it around next year as that squad also really struggled this year.

Who would have thought Scott Reedy would be riding the pine when the games started to matter? I don't remember him getting a shift today in the gold medal game, and he may have had a couple at most against Sweden in the semifinals as well. He led this team in scoring as an U17 player, was playing games with the U18s to end the year last year, and was also in the running at the very end to play in this tournament last year. He had a down year as an U18, but I doubt anyone would have chosen him as the odd guy out at forward.

Overall, the '99 age group isn't a great one across the board for most countries; however, these guys came together and delivered game after game when it mattered most. Congrats to them all!

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Love to see Rolston, Turcotte, and Weight boys all on the same squad. All of their fathers where extremely talented. Still to this day I have no clue how Alfie Turcotte wasn't an everyday NHLer for a decade plus with his skill.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Why not have a camp in August/September? These kids are still at the age where one lesser prospect may develop greatly over the summer and pass a top prospect or, go through a growth spurt.

That would give the CHL a huge recruiting advantage. And it wouldn't go over well with the other USHL clubs as well.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That would give the CHL a huge recruiting advantage. And it wouldn't go over well with the other USHL clubs as well.

That may be true, if a player commits to the NTDP, is he bound to this commitment or can he decommit and go to the CHL? Any consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->