American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm super happy to see Matthews there. He's just awesome. It should be telling that they invited him over Kirwan, whom many regarded as the better prospect coming into the year.

not only Kirwan, but Colin White and Jeremy Bracco as well....same with Matt Tkachuk..

He is also there over Paul Bittner -Portland - who many feel is a possible top 10-15 pick next year.

Matthews is awesome, just needs to stay healthy for an entire season. If he made this team I would be absolutely blown away with the kind of depth he is up against.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Yep, he did.

Regardless, it's dumb to sabotage your team to get back at Hanifin for leaving the program.

Stupid to invite Matthews over Hanifin. Matthews isn't draft eligible until 2016. Matthews is great but as of now is not as good as Eichel or several other centers invited. Appears that USA Hockey is trying to make their new Jack Eichel while snubbing Hanifin. I can see why Hanifin, Werenski and Kirwin left. I wouldn't be surprised after this if you don't see other guys not go back to the NTDP u18 team. Opened a big can of worms, they could have waited for him to play his way onto the roster like Eichel had to.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Stupid to invite Matthews over Hanifin. Matthews isn't draft eligible until 2016. Matthews is great but as of now is not as good as Eichel or several other centers invited. Appears that USA Hockey is trying to make their new Jack Eichel while snubbing Hanifin. I can see why Hanifin, Werenski and Kirwin left. I wouldn't be surprised after this if you don't see other guys not go back to the NTDP u18 team. Opened a big can of worms, they could have waited for him to play his way onto the roster like Eichel had to.

I am usually in agreement with you, but to be honest I really do not see any of the "defections" as a USNDP problem to be honest.

Both Hanifin and Werenski wanted a bigger challenge, and they accelerated schooling and will be playing d-1 for their draft years. I personally see that as a mistake as playing a bit more sheltered for the USNDP actually helps a lot of these kids draft rankings, but with two studs like that, they obviously felt they can still showcase their stuff as true freshmen and get ice time needed to get drafted high.

As for Kirwan, I don't see that one a real big issue either. MacInnis left the year prior in similar fashion, and here he is on the eval camp roster. Kirwan IMO did the right thing for himself as that u18 is absolutely loaded with talent and if he really wants to stand out from the crowd, he is going to a place where he will be put into that place. I again do not see it as an unhappy player leaving, I see it as a kid trying to do the best for himself come draft time. I can live with that.

Hopefull all 3 kids made the right choices as now they will be playing full schedules against their peers, and flaws will be seen more often and put under the microscope. I do not see a mass defection coming as this upcoming draft in June will land another likely 3-5 first rounders out of the USNDP and a number of 2-3 rounders as well. Kids see this and are coming in droves. Look no further to this years star studded recruiting class.

If anything this should motivate Hanifin even more and as a 97 his eval camp spot wasn't a 100% lock though many of us believed it would be.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
not only Kirwan, but Colin White and Jeremy Bracco as well....same with Matt Tkachuk..

He is also there over Paul Bittner -Portland - who many feel is a possible top 10-15 pick next year.

Matthews is awesome, just needs to stay healthy for an entire season. If he made this team I would be absolutely blown away with the kind of depth he is up against.

Oh definitely... They really like this kid it seems. I'm a little surprised not to see White, even though it's a deep forward group. And Bracco could be the next Gaudreau... Probably has more game-breaking ability than anyone on this roster not named Eichel or Milano. Next year's team could be great, even without Eichel or Hanifin.

So dumb...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
why does deangelo not even get an invite?

USA Hockey just doesn't really like the kid. He has attitude issues (not my opinion but others), is a bit undersized and they feel they have similar options who have gone through their USNDP. I called it a mistake to not bring him last year and I believe that 100% as they lacked any firepower from the point. What that kid can do on the power play, no other player we have can. He would have helped last year hands down.

Now, he still can get a shot in December like he did last year, but as a 95 I seriously doubt they will even look his way come December despite what numbers he is putting up...I hope they will as I believe he deserves to be here, but I just doubt it as USA Hockey just seems reluctant to pick this kid as if he isn't on this eval roster I won't hold my breath come December.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
I agree with most of what you are saying but I think you will see guys like White, Bracco, Greenway look at other options now. Just my opinion. Look at how the 96 team was run, I don't think White, Bracco and Greenway will sit back and put up with it. I could be 100% wrong but feel pretty sure I'm not on this. Like I said even Eichel didn't get invited to Lake Placid last summer. It won't sit well.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Must have been my browser.

I had to look for it; I checked the site before they tweeted out the link. Saw the release and it took minutes to find the roster link; not obvious with the bar looking like a subheading or something else.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I expected Hanifin to be there but it's hard to say why he's not. Perhaps USA Hockey is interested in having him play at the Ivan Hlinka tournament instead. If he plays well at BC I'd expect he'll have a chance at the December camp.

I agree with most of what you are saying but I think you will see guys like White, Bracco, Greenway look at other options now. Just my opinion. Look at how the 96 team was run, I don't think White, Bracco and Greenway will sit back and put up with it. I could be 100% wrong but feel pretty sure I'm not on this. Like I said even Eichel didn't get invited to Lake Placid last summer. It won't sit well.

So you think these guys may leave the program because Matthews was invited and they weren't? By that logic they would have left the program when Matthews made the U18 WJC team and they didn't. They didn't do it then and even if they decided to leave, I highly doubt it would have anything to do with this.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
I expected Hanifin to be there but it's hard to say why he's not. Perhaps USA Hockey is interested in having him play at the Ivan Hlinka tournament instead. If he plays well at BC I'd expect he'll have a chance at the December camp.

So you think these guys may leave the program because Matthews was invited and they weren't? By that logic they would have left the program when Matthews made the U18 WJC team and they didn't. They didn't do it then and even if they decided to leave, I highly doubt it would have anything to do with this.

I think the way the NTDP has put Matthews on a pedestal has rubbed a lot of 97s the wrong way.

I would expect some collateral damage from this move...

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012

It will have a lot to do with this. Several were already unhappy about Matthews and the U18 team. IMO a lot of people were waiting to see what they did with this. The weren't going to leave at end of season, but now it is summer and they will have a better idea where they stand going back to the NTDP. The head coach of the NTDP, Don Granato, who is their coach, is the assistant coach for this year's WJC team. Apparently, he feels Matthews is the one most deserving at this point. They even put Matthews and Werenski up on the U18 originally over Hanifin...if they think he didn't forget that when making his decision to leave for NCAA, my guess is, that they are wrong. I imagine White and Bracco won't forget this time either.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It will have a lot to do with this. Several were already unhappy about Matthews and the U18 team. IMO a lot of people were waiting to see what they did with this. The weren't going to leave at end of season, but now it is summer and they will have a better idea where they stand going back to the NTDP. The head coach of the NTDP, Don Granato, who is their coach, is the assistant coach for this year's WJC team. Apparently, he feels Matthews is the one most deserving at this point. They even put Matthews and Werenski up on the U18 originally over Hanifin...if they think he didn't forget that when making his decision to leave for NCAA, my guess is, that they are wrong. I imagine White and Bracco won't forget this time either.

Honestly this seems really petty. To be fair to Matthews, he did outpace every single player on the U17 team, including White, Bracco, Kirwan, and Greenway, despite coming off a major injury and procedure. And when he did move up to the U18, he proved he belonged with 17 points in 20 games. I'm not in the know about exactly how the situation went down or how the dynamics of this year's program are, but it's not as though Matthews didn't play himself onto all those teams.

I can understand Hanifin being miffed over Werenski going up first, because Hanifin is clearly the superior player.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
I think the way the NTDP has put Matthews on a pedestal has rubbed a lot of 97s the wrong way.

I would expect some collateral damage from this move...

Already hearing there will be. It was unnecessary to bring Matthews to camp. This is something that wasn't even done for Eichel.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
Honestly this seems really petty. To be fair to Matthews, he did outpace every single player on the U17 team, including White, Bracco, Kirwan, and Greenway, despite coming off a major injury and procedure. And when he did move up to the U18, he proved he belonged with 17 points in 20 games. I'm not in the know about exactly how the situation went down or how the dynamics of this year's program are, but it's not as though Matthews didn't play himself onto all those teams.

I can understand Hanifin being miffed over Werenski going up first, because Hanifin is clearly the superior player.

At u17
Matthews 1.38 pts per game
Bracco 1.37
White 1.36

I'd call it a draw

And Bracco and white did it over full season

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
and Matthews at times played with Bracco and White. He then played with Brendan Warren and Christian Fischer who are great players. At U18 WJC he played with Kyle Connor who outpaced Matthews...He didn't do it alone.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Already hearing there will be. It was unnecessary to bring Matthews to camp. This is something that wasn't even done for Eichel.

One major difference between Matthews and Eichel is that Matthews played well at the U18s this year while Eichel didn't in his opportunity as an underager. Matthews has earned the opportunity he's been given.

If players are going to quit a team over things like this then it shows a lack of character. This is the first I've heard of these types of attitudes amongst this group so I'll view this with skepticism until I hear anything concrete otherwise.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
and Matthews at times played with Bracco and White. He then played with Brendan Warren and Christian Fischer who are great players. At U18 WJC he played with Kyle Connor who outpaced Matthews...He didn't do it alone.

Brendan Warren and Christian Fischer are good players, but they aren't Colin White and Jeremy Bracco. And yeah, Connor outplayed him but Connor's right there at the Eval Camp.

Although, that would explain why Kirwan's leaving for the OHL, if he felt he was getting replaced by Matthews.

It still seems petty to me.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Warren was looked at to be the star of this group a year and a half ago. Not saying he can't be or that he has completely fallen off the map, but the gap this year between Bracco, White, and Warren is pretty significant to me with Warren well behind. I like Warren and now he will have more opportunity with Kirwan leaving to step up and take a big role with this team, but Matthews for the most part played with less talent IMO.

I really like Fischer as he is a real tough competitive kid that will rise the ranks if he hasn't already. Very bright future for him and another talented player on this USNDP team that should get drafted very high next June.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
what are your early thoughts RR? any big snubs you see? Hanifin of course, but like was stated they went with an older group of dmen so far.

I'm not privy to the USNTDP machinations that go on behind the scenes, but Hanifan being omitted is very strange to me. IMO he should have been a shoo-in not only for a camp roster but also a place on the eventual team. He's one of the best blueline prospects PERIOD.

Not surprised that DeAngelo was left off. He had his shot last year and with all of the character issues during the season the brass probably didn't want the headache.

Goaltending is clearly a strength (again). The offense has a shot to be electric. Just a ton of skill. Blueline lacks that big stud (s) we've become accustomed to-especially without Hanifan.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I also agree with Cagney on this as I haven't heard a sniff of this either. Not saying it isn't true, but in years past we heard about certain players/coaches issues that led to players leaving...I just don't see it with this group or with Auston Matthews who is very deserving to be here. Matthews is more physically mature then Bracco and White imo and regardless of what happened with Eichel two years back, this is a different situation completely.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
I also agree with Cagney on this as I haven't heard a sniff of this either. Not saying it isn't true, but in years past we heard about certain players/coaches issues that led to players leaving...I just don't see it with this group or with Auston Matthews who is very deserving to be here. Matthews is more physically mature then Bracco and White imo and regardless of what happened with Eichel two years back, this is a different situation completely.

I only disagree with you saying it's a different situation than eichel last summer...It was the same situation and eichel was not invited. If any 97 deserved to be invited on talent alone this year it was Hanifin. Eichel was ahead of Matthews in physical development last summer and did not get the invite.

dwanmaster*

Disappointed in no Hanifin but suuuuuper pumped to see Connor Hurley's name. Notre Dame is going to be unreal next year with Lucia, Hinostroza and Hurley and Di Pauli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad