American Dream's First Round Mock Draft

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I agree with that, and I was hesitant to put McDonagh at that spot...but Sather does like his young d-men, and has drafted American heavy in some drafts, so I thought he would try and hit a homerun with this kid. But you are probably right, if they are going to do a feast or famine, then a probably would be a forward, eventhough they already did that twice, and so far hasnt worked out yet...Jessiman, and Graham.

And those picks (Jessiman and Graham) were bad picks at that point in time. There were a ton of holes then. The Rangers have built up their defense prospect pool and they have a decent crop of forwards (Callahan, Bourret, Dawes, Dubinsky, Ansimov). They don't have that guy who projects out to being a top line forward.

For what it's worth,I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers try and move up in the draft.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
well you have to shake it up a little right?? if not, we all would have the same dang drafts! but in all honesty, I think you are right, we are going to see some weird stuff this draft.

yeah. its nice to see some changes in the top 6 for once. and yeah, a lot of weird stuff will happen. i cant wait for this draft.:)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
yeah. its nice to see some changes in the top 6 for once. and yeah, a lot of weird stuff will happen. i cant wait for this draft.:)

I bet you are, what is this the first time in a century that you guys picked before # 50??? hahaha I dont know if your scouts can handle the pressure of actually having a first round pick. :)

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I bet you are, what is this the first time in a century that you guys picked before # 50??? hahaha I dont know if your scouts can handle the pressure of actually having a first round pick. :)

we picked kindl in the first round in 05, but other then that there has been very feaw first round picks the later years. but we allways seem to find something in the later rounds anyway;)

giovanni

May 14, 2007
nice mock draft. But i think that 5 is to high on Pacioretty. I like Max and i hope the canadiens draft him at 22, but at 5 there are more better players like gagner,cherepanov, and esposito.

also i don't think the candiens will draft petrecki. i think that rayn McDounagh is more of a canditate.

overall, great draft.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
nice mock draft. But i think that 5 is to high on Pacioretty. I like Max and i hope the canadiens draft him at 22, but at 5 there are more better players like gagner,cherepanov, and esposito.

also i don't think the candiens will draft petrecki. i think that rayn McDounagh is more of a canditate.

overall, great draft.

well I appreciate the comments. I was just trying to throw 1 guy out there who will surprise, and I think he may be that guy. Again, I know its a stretch at #5, but stranger things have happened right? thanks again.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Really good mock, I enjoyed reading it

I think Petrecki could very well wind up in Montreal there, I really like the kid and don't think that's too high

As for the Rangers, I would be happy if they picked McDonagh but I would also be surprised if they didn't draft a forward

Good read, especially like the Pat White write up

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
McPhee has certainly taken some reaches in his day but since his job isn't altogether secure I think his draft strategy will be fairly conservative with their top pick. Later on I could see the Caps making some more risky picks given their existing prospect base.

If he keeps their top pick (which isn't a sure thing), it's likely to be spent on a player that's thought to be fairly safe and close to being NHL ready...someone like Voracek, Gagner or Alzner. That's my read, at least. Just like LA, Washington is rebuilding and could use as much immediate help as they can get.

yeah,with 3 great players like gagner, voracek,cherepanov,still available we willl take one of them

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
AD, nice list!

I like that you have Pacioretty so high. I don't think he'll go to the Caps though. I see the Habs taking McDonagh and Pacioretty with the #12 and #22 picks, either could go at either spot.

I'm with you on Shattenkirk to Carolina. I'm not sure why but I feel like that is going to happen. Same with Gagner to Columbus (unless they trade the pick)

What about Colton Gilles to Minnesota at #19??? He seems like a kid that would fit in their system. Good skater. good speed... I just think that since they got burned drafting Thelan in '04 that they would stay away from another hometown boy in the first.

Last edited:

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
Great list overall, but horrible pick for Calgary.
Calgary will be lloking at good solid character players with skill if they stay put. If one of Couture, Eller, Moller, or one of the american D men they really like is still there, they'll take him. Other wise they''ll move down. Mayorov is about the furthest thing from what Sutter would pick.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
AD, nice list!

I like that you have Pacioretty so high. I don't think he'll go to the Caps though. I see the Habs taking McDonagh and Pacioretty with the #12 and #22 picks, either could go at either spot.

I'm with you on Shattenkirk to Carolina. I'm not sure why but I feel like that is going to happen. Same with Gagner to Columbus (unless they trade the pick)

What about Colton Gilles to Minnesota at #19??? He seems like a kid that would fit in their system. Good skater. good speed... I just think that since they got burned drafting Thelan in '04 that they would stay away from another hometown boy in the first.

sorry, I was away for the birth of my son!!!!!!

we will see, do you really think Gilles will go that high? you talk about busts, and a lot of people are down on that kid. I think White is a safer pick then Thelen was, but you are probably right with the bad taste in their mouth pick...but Pat White isnt A.J. Thelen, and if they skip Pat White because of that, they deserve to pick a buster.

thanks for the input, glad you finally liked something I wrote!!! haha

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Great list overall, but horrible pick for Calgary.
Calgary will be lloking at good solid character players with skill if they stay put. If one of Couture, Eller, Moller, or one of the american D men they really like is still there, they'll take him. Other wise they''ll move down. Mayorov is about the furthest thing from what Sutter would pick.

i appreciate that. I was trying to think what would I do if I was Calgary, but its funny that you put Eller and Moller over Mayorov..imo I dont see them as being anything different then what Mayorov can be...Couture wont be around come Calgarys pick.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Really good mock, I enjoyed reading it

I think Petrecki could very well wind up in Montreal there, I really like the kid and don't think that's too high

As for the Rangers, I would be happy if they picked McDonagh but I would also be surprised if they didn't draft a forward

Good read, especially like the Pat White write up

thank you, I appreciate it. I like White alot, cant wait to see him at next years WJC. I feel McDonaugh will go pretty high, NYR seemed the perfect fit. Sather loves his North American d-men!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad