Am I Savage? | Zuccarello highlight montage

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Exactly. I never suggested fielding a team of 20 year olds. Zucc should be moved if the return is right...and he should be replaced with a UFA veteran who brings some leadership. As much as I'm a Zucc fan, keeping him would be a case of poor asset management.
Would be very tough to watch the Rangers without Zuccha. Remember when he was injured when we had that cup run, losing to L.A.? He WAS the missing piece. Remember last year when he was out (or the year before?) Something was missing. Yeah, it was Zuccha.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Not re-signing Zuccarello would be a huge mistake. Not only has he been our best offensive player for the last 5 years, he has done so with a discount, for two contracts(!). Not only that, he's a pest to the other teams and he's great in the lockerroom to keep the morale high. Did he have a rough season? Yeah, he struggled, as did the team. That didn't stop him from being our best point producer. Again, as in so many other years. Again, at $5.5m, he earns as much as Marc Staal FFS.

Which is why the NHL will never be anything more than an entertainment business and not a legit sports league. Too many European players don't understand that they are hired entertainment assets, not athletes first and most, even if they grew up in legit sports leagues where they were considered athletes from the start.

In Norway and other European countries, I believe there is more emotional attachment to the clubs with the players. In football (soccer) almost every team has a "club player". A player that stays with the club, no matter what, even without winning the big trophies.

There was some talk about Zuccarello´s contract last time he took (his second) discount, that he should learn that the NHL is NOT the same as sports in Europe. It is pure BUSINESS. No one believed that the Rangers would ever return is favor. How he thinks himself, I do not know, but he certainly feels for this club, and has stated several times that he wants to be a Ranger for life. I have a feeling that if the Rangers want to start a new contract negotiaton this coming season, he will yet again take a discount... That is just who Zucc is. I genuinly believe that he is not after the money. He already have enough cash to go to the beach every day the rest of his life anyways.....

It would be great if he could stay a Rangers the rest of his career, and to see him hoist the cup with Hank would be out of this world.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Would be very tough to watch the Rangers without Zuccha. Remember when he was injured when we had that cup run, losing to L.A.? He WAS the missing piece. Remember last year when he was out (or the year before?) Something was missing. Yeah, it was Zuccha.

He was hurt when they lost to TB, not LA. I'd say not having a single healthy defenseman by the end of that run hurt alot more than the lack of Zuccarello.

Judging by his playoff numbers, they didn't miss much.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe 2-3% of those who visit games in MSG on weekly basis post on this forum, but life goes on if he is dealt or not over the summer window. My point is there are not any good reasons to get emotionally involved or invested into the debate and it`s soon summer and all. But no doubts there are many who enjoy watch him play, and others who don`t due to size or age argument and similar reasoning. But there are also probably many who will miss him including myself if he is dealt - and that`s part of life, and there are many who visit MSG or live nearby who share similar feelings about it.

I don`t know where to post this so this topic is good as any, but I will not be too active on this forum until we are closer to draft and a new season. So thanks for the debate and discussions in the last season, and stay safe - enjoy your vacation. :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Maybe 2-3% of those who visit games in MSG on weekly basis post on this forum, but life goes on if he is dealt or not over the summer window. My point is there are not any good reasons to get emotionally involved or invested into the debate and it`s soon summer and all. But no doubts there are many who enjoy watch him play, and others who don`t due to size or age argument and similar reasoning. But there are also probably many who will miss him including myself if he is dealt - and that`s part of life, and there are many who visit MSG or live nearby who share similar feelings about it.

I don`t know where to post this so this topic is good as any, but I will not be too active on this forum until we are closer to draft and a new season. So thanks for the debate and discussions in the last season, and stay safe - enjoy your vacation. :)

Thousands of NYR fans will miss him but all players/coaches move on at some point. The NYR fans love the guy. We all know how many awards he has won based on the fans voting. We all hear the Zooks chants in the road arenas. No matter if he plays for the Rangers, plays for another NHL team, goes back to Europe, or retires we will always have the great memories he gave this fan base. The guy has led our team in scoring over the last 5 seasons. That is a heck of an accomplishment. He should be super proud of himself. The best thing is that while he is a very good NHL player he seems to be a even greater person.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
He was hurt when they lost to TB, not LA. I'd say not having a single healthy defenseman by the end of that run hurt alot more than the lack of Zuccarello.

Its hard to take anything you say seriously when half your post history is how much you want the team to trade the guy for a host of reasons. I will check in when your favorite player is up for a new contract and is at his peak for trade value, and we will see how much of hypocrite you are.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Its hard to take anything you say seriously when half your post history is how much you want the team to trade the guy for a host of reasons. I will check in when your favorite player is up for a new contract and is at his peak for trade value, and we will see how much of hypocrite you are.

They already did this past deadline and I was 100% behind the decision because it was the right one (even if the return may not be.)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Yes I know, I was there in TB. That's what I meant. We would've beaten TB, had we had him. For me, it was glaringly obvious in our lack of offensive fluidity that he provides. And yeah, those defensive issues were another issue and time.

member 116805

Insightful analysis of Zuccorello's season and future in my opinion (please excuse the clumsy Google translation from Norwegian, but im sure you all will understand the meaning using some imagination, hehe)

Google Translate

Last edited by a moderator:

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Insightful analysis of Zuccorello's season and future in my opinion (please excuse the clumsy Google translation from Norwegian, but im sure you all will understand the meaning using some imagination, hehe)

Google Translate
Some really butchered translations there (brings back memories of "Brandon Prussian", hehe), but they'll get the gist, im sure :)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
When the greatest band of all time meets the greatest team of all time...f*** yeah!
Thank you for yet another way to get us thru the summer @Loffen !

Stauffenberg

May 30, 2012
I hope that Zuccarello is traded from the Rangers to a top team despite loving to see him play for Rangers. Rangers is going through a rebuild and won't be fighting for the Stanley Cup for at least 3-4 years.

Zuccarello only has a few years left in NHL. Maybe he doesn't care about fighting for the Cup and would prefer to help rebuilding Rangers. Then kudos to him for that. However, I hope to see Zuccarello again at least once in the play-off for a top team.

Several of his Rangers buddies have been traded and got a chance for the Cup. Hagelin, Brassard, McDonagh etc. I hope Zuccarello would get the same chance before his time in NHL is over. He has already served Rangers well for quite a few years.

Vegas Golden Knights or Nashville Predators could be interesting teams for Zuccarello in his remaining NHL years. Maybe even Pittsburg Penguins.

I also think Henrik Lundqvist should think about the same. He only has a few more years left and will never win anything with the Rangers. He has been the Rangers backbone for years and deserves a final shot at the Cup. Unfortunately that is not likely to happen for him. He's already in a decline and might not be as attractive for other teams as he was.

We can only hope the Rangers new young players and some luck with their picks will help making Rangers a Cup winning team again in the not so distant future. The play-offs aren't the same without the Rangers as one of the teams.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I hope that Zuccarello is traded from the Rangers to a top team despite loving to see him play for Rangers. Rangers is going through a rebuild and won't be fighting for the Stanley Cup for at least 3-4 years.

Zuccarello only has a few years left in NHL. Maybe he doesn't care about fighting for the Cup and would prefer to help rebuilding Rangers. Then kudos to him for that. However, I hope to see Zuccarello again at least once in the play-off for a top team.

Several of his Rangers buddies have been traded and got a chance for the Cup. Hagelin, Brassard, McDonagh etc. I hope Zuccarello would get the same chance before his time in NHL is over. He has already served Rangers well for quite a few years.

Vegas Golden Knights or Nashville Predators could be interesting teams for Zuccarello in his remaining NHL years. Maybe even Pittsburg Penguins.

I also think Henrik Lundqvist should think about the same. He only has a few more years left and will never win anything with the Rangers. He has been the Rangers backbone for years and deserves a final shot at the Cup. Unfortunately that is not likely to happen for him. He's already in a decline and might not be as attractive for other teams as he was.

We can only hope the Rangers new young players and some luck with their picks will help making Rangers a Cup winning team again in the not so distant future. The play-offs aren't the same without the Rangers as one of the teams.

This is the thing that the people that rip on the fans that want him here hoped happened at least two seasons ago. A lot of Norwegian fans have been fans of the NYR way before Zucc arrived, to have our only NHL player play for "our" club, and have a prominent role on the team is a fandom dream come true. That is why a lot of the Norwegian fans don't want him traded. He's our guy and he's playing for our club. To have that questioned as we're some kind of idiots straight up sucks, and is a big reason why I just stopped coming here the second half of the season, the forums have become toxic in a lot of discussions.

EU fans don't have the same relationship to "trade him while his value is high" as American fans. Contract limits and term lengths isn't a part of our sports culture, we celebrate players who choose to remain with their clubs throughout their careers. Rarely does anyone want anyone to be sold, even if they can get a banks worth of money for him.

With that in mind, the fact that we want Zucc to remain with the club, and not be traded to a team that has actual superstars and way better players than the NYR has, something which is sure to boost his production by a fair margin, should be an indicator that we care about the club just as much as the fans on the other side of the pond do. We just view player longevity differently.

What I don't quite get around is the use and toss mentality of players. When they are here, the players are loved and hated every other minute. But when the moment comes that he likely to be traded, it doesn't matter that he's sent to a team so bad it physically hurts to watch the team play (Derek Stepan). It's simply "Thank you for all the effort you put in, now f*** off to a shit team and enjoy your misery. Thanks for the return". The fact that no one seems to feel just a little bad about sending our players off to teams that are plain bad, will always puzzle me.

It's just how I feel about it, I get that US/CA fans will view this on the entire polar opposite.

Henrik was given the option from Dolan/Gorton to be traded before the letter was published, as a thank you for services and sportsmanship rendered. They gave him an out for a shot at the cup. Henrik chose team loyalty and family stability over a maybe shot at the Stanley Trophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad