Am I reading these scouting lists right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

st_roland

I could be crazy, but at the NA skaters list, Barker is ranked something like 10th?? What is up with that, I thought he was a lock for at least 4th overall in the draft, after Ovechkin, Malkin and Olesz? Can anyone explain this?

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
st_roland said:
I could be crazy, but at the NA skaters list, Barker is ranked something like 10th?? What is up with that, I thought he was a lock for at least 4th overall in the draft, after Ovechkin, Malkin and Olesz? Can anyone explain this?

While I think it's not accurate to have him that far down the list, I've heard rumblings that he was better last season then he has been so far in 2003-04.

Is this reason enough for his rating? Probably not. I've been known to disagree with Central Scouting from time to time.

leafaholix*

Kyle Woodlief mentioned in an earlier article that he hasn't improved from last season.

That may have something to do with it.

DR. Holiday

X-SHARKIE said:
He's top 4 pick IMO. His stock shouldnt have fallen.

It's not really his fault, but he shouldn't be played so much. He's been a work horse. Gotta cut the kids ice time down.
Wow all that from a tv viewing. Nice

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
st_roland said:

Are you talking about CSS rankings? And what is "something like 10th"? Because at this level, 1-3 positions less or more are pretty significant, IMO. Is it 7th? 9th? 11th? 13h? or 10th?

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Are you talking about CSS rankings? And what is "something like 10th"? Because at this level, 1-3 positions less or more are pretty significant, IMO. Is it 7th? 9th? 11th? 13h? or 10th?

Yes. It is mid-term CSS rankings. They have Barker 5th among North American Skaters. The list as a whole is a bit screwed up IMHO.
Wes O'Neill is ranked 20th among North American skaters for instance.

North American List:
http://nhl.com/futures/cssrankings/2004midterm/northamerica.html

European List:
http://nhl.com/futures/cssrankings/2004midterm/europe.html

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I think the ranking has to do with Barker's defensive ability...if they were in the same draft class, I would have had Barker behind all of Coburn, Suter, Phaneuf and Stuart.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Chief said:
I think the ranking has to do with Barker's defensive ability...if they were in the same draft class, I would have had Barker behind all of Coburn, Suter, Phaneuf and Stuart.

Barker isn't a sieve defensively - his whole defensive issues are becoming quite a bit over-rated.

To say that you would take Stuart over him, is a perfect example, IMHO....

His upside is as great, if not greater than any d-man taken in the 2003 draft, Suter and Coburn included.

st_roland

Vlad The Impaler said:

I'd say its pretty insignifigant considering it was my understanding that Cam Barker was the consensus #1 NA skater in the upcoming draft. But I wouldn't be surprised if you know something I don't. You sure act like it.

DR. Holiday

X-SHARKIE said:
You're an Idiot. It's been well talked about, as well as shown in his ice time. Gamesheet well tell you that. Barker has been overused.

Oh I thought you had said you used no other sources and just went on extensive viewings of 1 or 2 games on tape.

X-SHARKIE

DR. Holiday said:
Oh I thought you had said you used no other sources and just went on extensive viewings of 1 or 2 games on tape.

UGH. You guys put words into my mouths. I even told you straite up I use McKeens has help. THat's a great site, I read Redlines articles on USA today but i'm not going to pay 40$ for that. I do see prospects. I'm pasionite about hockey and I love draft day. Ask anyone who I talk with personally, they'll tell you the same. Lay off Dr.Holliday...You hawk my posts...it's getting old.

st_roland

X-SHARKIE said:
UGH. You guys put words into my mouths. I even told you straite up I use McKeens has help. THat's a great site, I read Redlines articles on USA today but i'm not going to pay 40$ for that. I do see prospects. I'm pasionite about hockey and I love draft day. Ask anyone who I talk with personally, they'll tell you the same. Lay off Dr.Holliday...You hawk my posts...it's getting old.

I agree. Lay off X-Sharkie. I appreciate the service he does. Obviously he enjoys it, but I enjoy reading his thoughts.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Vlad The Impaler said:
That, and a (un)healthy reading of Redline :p

While normally I agree that the Poop Report is barely worth reading, in that particular article I didn't see anything really disagreeable. Of course, the fact that they open it with a bunch of self-congratulatory back-patting simply underlines everything negative about Redline's (and Woodlief's) entire style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->