Am I just too high on Picard or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
For the life of me, I can't understand why Picard isn't a concensus top 10 guys this year. Maybe I'm a fool or I haven't seen him enough (both very plausible ;) ).

The guy can score. He's gritty. He's a leader. He makes smart decisions all over the ice. He can skate. He can stickhandle in a phone booth. He uses his teammates and doesn't hog the puck. I'm not sure on Lewistingon, but I don't believe they are a very good team, yet he's still way up there on the QMJHL season stats. I have heard he's clutch though haven't witnessed it myself.

The guy can do everything. WHY for gods sake is he not rated higher around here? The CSB in January put him #4 amongst North American skaters.. HIGHER than defenseman Cam Barker whom most people go googly-eyed over.

What don't I see? Why don't people have him in their top 10?

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Mizral said:
For the life of me, I can't understand why Picard isn't a concensus top 10 guys this year. Maybe I'm a fool or I haven't seen him enough (both very plausible ;) ).

The guy can score. He's gritty. He's a leader. He makes smart decisions all over the ice. He can skate. He can stickhandle in a phone booth. He uses his teammates and doesn't hog the puck. I'm not sure on Lewistingon, but I don't believe they are a very good team, yet he's still way up there on the QMJHL season stats. I have heard he's clutch though haven't witnessed it myself.

The guy can do everything. WHY for gods sake is he not rated higher around here? The CSB in January put him #4 amongst North American skaters.. HIGHER than defenseman Cam Barker whom most people go googly-eyed over.

I ask myself the same question, but I have never found an answer :)

PEli*

Mizral said:

It's Lewiston. And you're right. The guy should be getting more looks and more respect but the fact is, he's the highest rated Q forward and he'll be underrated because of it. The majority of the boards probably view him as a soft, small forward who will have a tough time making it in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
I still don't think he is top 10. He is close, but I see him as a 10-20 pick. I haven't seen a lot of the top 10 kids play, since I don't readily see any Europeans or the WHL kids, but from what I have seen, I can make comparisons. For instance, attitudes aside, I think Robbie Schremp is a lot better hockey player and has more upside than Picard, so in my eyes Picard isn't in that range. I even like Drew Stafford over Picard for the first forward picked in the 11-15 range (even though he shouldnt be there because of opt-in reasons). But then again, it all depends on team needs and views, who knows? maybe the team picking 6 or 7 loves Picard and you can say you knew it all along... :rolly:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well the times I've seen him play, I have been impressed, but going from second hand information on some of his faults. I've heard everything from a poor attitude, to a lack of discipline. I do know that his offensive game is very inconsistent though. So maybe there is truth to some of those things.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I've watched him several times and I'm not entirely sure the guy has great upside. He's got good height, but I wouldn't call size one of his strengths. He's physical though, impressively so for the QMJHL, but I'm not surethat will translate full into the NHL. I guess for me I just can't get a grip of what type of player he wants to be. He's kind of got everything going but no dominant skill.

I can't speak to his attitude, but he is defenitely inconsistent. That being said, most 17 year olds are inconsistent, especially in the QMJHL it seems. I guess the reason he's not rated that highly is becuase he lacks a dominant skill. He's not all about his speed. He's physical but he's not a power forward. He's not a Scottie Upshall type becuase he isn't quite the supreme leader yet. I guess part of consistency is sticking to a style, and sometimes Picard is a playmaker, sometimes a sniper, sometimes a sparkplug, sometimes a bit of a power forward. That's just my observation at least.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would never pick Picard as a top ten pick. Yes he is good but he didn't impress me all that much vs stronger defensmen in the prospects game.

DR. Holiday

Mizral said:

Well you also said you would rather have Shields RIGHT NOW over Luongo a while back so hey no big deal.
As for him being underrated on the boards.... yes he is. As for him being ahead of Barker on CSS list big deal. Come draft day Barker will go well before him and Chipchura

rev

Feb 8, 2004
Iowa
if strength is a problem.. that doesnt seem so bad.. isnt strength teachable? you can always work hard in a gym... you cant teach raw talent?

i havent seen him play.. so i cant comment.. but if strength is his weakness.. that seems fixable.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
A Playoff Warrior too,
1rst in Goals (4) tie with Steve Bernier ( S-J ) and Maxim Lapierre ( MTL ).
In the Q he play a sort of Power Foward type he is gritty throw some hits ... but unlike Bernier he do not have the size and strengt to play the same type of game in the NHL. I think he have a good upside and should be take around 15th and hopefully the habs will take him aorund 20th

db23

Picard's problem is that he has a lot of good assets, but no outstanding one. He has decent size (6-1, 190), is an O.K. skater, has good hockey sense, but hasn't blown the doors off offensively. Also, he only missed being eligible for last year's draft by 3 weeks. He is nearly a year older than Malkin or Toukonen. But he sure isn't hurting his chances in the playoffs, with 6 goals in the first 4 games.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He needs to improve his defensive game, his skating and balance.

He is also 18 this year so he SHOULD be dominating. If you look at other 18 year olds in the QMJHL or CHL they dominate and no one talks about them.

Picard is a good player, top 10 is pushing it though.

2goodtimes

Apr 2, 2003
Ventura & Van Nuys
Visit site
PEli said:
It's Lewiston. And you're right. The guy should be getting more looks and more respect but the fact is, he's the highest rated Q forward and he'll be underrated because of it. The majority of the boards probably view him as a soft, small forward who will have a tough time making it in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Correction; Picard is actually blessed with good size, at least on paper:

4 PICARD, ALEXANDRE QMJHL LEWISTON 10/9/1985 6' 2" 190 LW L 69 39 49 80 88

This guy can play hockey, flat out

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
2goodtimes said:

No one is debating that. But he is not top 10 talent.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
That's surely why he lead his poor team to a playoff spot, maybe no top 10 but in ten years some will their mistakes for not picking him up instead of other... their said that for ribeiro, richards, tanguay, gagné also

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CrosbyIsGod said:
That's surely why he lead his poor team to a playoff spot, maybe no top 10 but in ten years some will their mistakes for not picking him up instead of other... their said that for ribeiro, richards, tanguay, gagné also

That was different situation.

Picard isnt nearly as talented as any of those guys.

RAW Talent wise Picard cant hold a flame to Ribriero, Tanguay, Gagne or Richards.

Picard is more of a worker with some skill. A good 15-25 overall pick.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
There are alot of players I would take over Picard....I think I named 10 on my personal favorite list.

Ovechkin
Malkin
Olesz
Tukonen
Ladd
Wolski
Chipchura
Schremp
Bolland
Berti (just a favorite of mine)
Lisin

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
PrussianBlue said:
Which makes him probably an ideal target player for the Blues, then...

PrussianBlue

Exactly.

I have him low teens in my draft around 17-19.

That is still damn good for a kid who wasnt even a regular in the Q last year.

PEli*

2goodtimes said:

That was my point. I said that the majority of the boards probably view him as smallish because he's scoring and he plays in the Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad