Am I a bad person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
For feeling joy in my heart when I see Calgary in 11th place in the league standings with a win-loss record of 12-8-0 = 24 pts after 20 games and Edmonton is sitting in 29th place with a win-loss record of 7-12-2 = 16 points in 21 games?

After last year and the way so many Oiler fans reacted to their season and predicted their domination in the league this year.. and the way they dissed the Flames as poor second cousins... I see it as karma.
I know, I know.. there's still 60 some games to be played this year and its not over til its over... but it feels good right now.

Go Flames!

Reactions: Sk8M8

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Is this thread really necessary? You know damn well every single Flames fan is happy with how Edmonton has done, but the Flames have some major flaws as well, and things can change quickly.

Last year, Calgary shit the bed early on, and Edmonton came out guns blazing, but the gap between the two teams in the standings wound up closer than most would have predicted. The gap right now is less than lass year.

Reactions: WeegarUnderwood

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Flames are probably sitting exactly where they should with their roster except only because our top players have gone up a step and our depth players are underperforming. I would like to see better from them still.

Every time I look at the Oilers roster after how many top picks they have had in the last decade it makes me sick. I really wonder how your average HF poster knows more about improving your team than some of the guys paid millions to do it. Because of McDavid, Drai, and Talbot (when on his game), the Oilers likely rebound. The day they fill out the team with non-trash items you will no longer be a bad person.

As stated above, acting like them last year will only make the main page even more dreadful to visit.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What?? Can't even post something like this in the Flames section of this board? Particularly when we had to listen to all the bragging coming from up North, last season?
By the way, I'm not bragging about the Flames play... just saying its nice. Big difference between what I'm saying and how so many Oiler fans were carrying on last year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Arrogance always hurts.
I take life lessons from Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan. Even when you’re rooting against someone, still put them over; because if they win you still have stroke.

I.E; instead of Oilers people saying:
We were the best team in Alberta last year, but man, the Flames have a young team, with a good defence... this’ll be a good BoA moving forward.

We got:
LOL 4-0! Second round! You can’t win with Gaudreau as your best player! Overrated defence, shit goalies. Hahahaha, enjoy being the little brother again! We’re a favourite for the cup!!!! Draisaitl is a better player than the entire Flames roster!!! GM of the year in Chia!!

It’s good that they got a good reality check.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
What?? Can't even post something like this in the Flames section of this board? Particularly when we had to listen to all the bragging coming from up North, last season?
By the way, I'm not bragging about the Flames play... just saying its nice. Big difference between what I'm saying and how so many Oiler fans were carrying on last year.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it too. I'm simply saying things can change quickly.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Which is why I said...

I know, I know.. there's still 60 some games to be played this year and its not over til its over... but it feels good right now.

As always, things can change... especially when there's 60 games left in the season. But, as of right now, today, Karma is a bitch! ... especially when a team has sucked for so long and they finally have a nice season and they start carrying on like this is the norm for them and they've already started to plan the SC parade in July 2018

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am very glad the Oilers are struggling. In theory, it should provide a life lesson and prevent the behaviour of that fanbase from reaching the levels it did in the summer if they encounter success again down the road.

Do I think the Oilers are going to struggle all season? No, I don't.

Do I think the fanbase is going to learn from this? No, I don't.

So instead I choose to focus on the Flames. I'm hoping we can make sure matters are in our own hands when it comes to the BoA. Still a lot of work to be done on our game. Remember that after one period in Philly, the sky was falling again. 5 periods later, and we're once again back at the top of the rollercoaster.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'm definitely enjoying the lack of Oilers success as much as anyone here, but learn a lesson from all the crow their fanbase is eating right now: don't gloat.

Things can turn around very quickly for either team and the Oilers are only 8 points back. That's 4 wins for them and 4 losses for us to close the gap. That's like a stretch of 10'ish days if we were to measure it in consecutive wins/losses.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Nope. It's not like you're delighting in some natural disaster hitting Edmonton and thousands of families have been displaced. Their sports team is bad.

Flames fans have had to listen for years about the Oilers being on their way, just wait until next year, their clearly superior talent will win the day eventually. Really reached a crescendo last summer didn't it :laugh: sickened me to see so many Oil jerseys in the city, especially after the Ducks swept us. I was one of the few who didn't see it with that team and thought they'd be hard pressed to make the playoffs this year. That franchise has bungled one thing after another, and Chia is just another in a long line of bunglers. As long as Lowe, MacT, and the rest of the tank brigade is still employed there I'm going to have a tough time taking them seriously.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Just to add on- their fans were absolutely unbearable this off season. Living in Edmonton as a flames fan, I did not hear the end of it:
- Broom jokes
- Quacking
- Polishing off the Stanley Cup, planning the parade route down Whyte ave
- Openly and seriously predicting that McDonut and Baesaitl were going to be better than Gretzky and Messier
- Talking about how Johnny Midget will probably be injured most of the season

etc, etc. I would calmly accept their criticism and point out that, given how many high achievers the oilers had last season, they were certainly bound for slight regression at the very least. This only resulted in much more laughing. They actually made it insufferable for me to talk hockey at work, which I loved.

They deserve every second of their hubris. This Schaedenfreud is... magnificent. My flames flag has gone unassaulted at the office for the first month straight of my employment here. Now it doesn't seem like anyone wants to talk hockey (that doesn't stop me...)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I bet Hall and Eberle find their current predicament hilarious
I'm sure they're really enjoying their season so far. So much nicer to be playing for 5th and 11th place teams than a 29th place team. I know Hall was upset when he got traded but I'm sure he's changed his mind now. Probably quite happy now. As for Eberle, he probably breaks down laughing every time someone mentions Ryan Strome's name. Chia got hosed by Snow on that deal.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I got to the point where I actually felt bad for the Oiler fans prior to them picking McDavid.

After getting lucky and picking him, their fans became cocky yet again. And to add to that extra cockiness, they made the playoffs and surprisingly made a decent run.

I for one am happy that their cockiness has brought their fans back to reality, because they were delusional as hell during the offseason. Seeing them suffer (even with McDavid) is the best thing that has happened in a while. I'm loving every moment of it.

This thread though, was uncalled for.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This thread though, was uncalled for
Yeah there's plenty of time for anything to happen. I'd hold off on dancing on their graves until a much later date. We only had one month where we posted a record above .500, courtesy of Chad Johnson, until we got hot in February.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Talbot could do something like that for them and turn their season around. I just hope we beat them on the 2nd and don't spark some sort of surge of theirs

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I got to the point where I actually felt bad for the Oiler fans prior to them picking McDavid.

After getting lucky and picking him, their fans became cocky yet again. And to add to that extra cockiness, they made the playoffs and surprisingly made a decent run.

I for one am happy that their cockiness has brought their fans back to reality, because they were delusional as hell during the offseason. Seeing them suffer (even with McDavid) is the best thing that has happened in a while. I'm loving every moment of it.

This thread though, was uncalled for.

Agreed. We all enjoy watching them struggle, but to make a thread that, let's face it, is just about bashing their team and proclaiming "karma is a bitch" is just petty. I feel like a good chunk of these two fanbases are caught in a game of "my dick is bigger than yours".

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yep. I'm a bad person. In defense, I just put in writing what most non-Oiler fans have been thinking for the last few weeks.. and perhaps some Oiler fans too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->