alternative to goalie wheels?

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
I'm fairly new to inline hockey, I only started playing about 4 months ago. I bought an inexpensive pair of inline skates, CCM Vectors, which came with a few different size wheels (80 in the back, two 76's in the middle and a 72 in front). I've been thinking about getting goalie wheels, but I play outside and from what I've read it sounds like most of them are meant for indoor use. If I bought some regular outdoor wheels, just a lot smaller size, maybe something in the 50's (assuming they make that), would they work with my regular skates? Or are those skates meant for bigger wheels? Thanks for your help...

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
Since you have skates that utilize a form of Hi-Lo chassis (different sized wheels throughout), you're not going to be able to use goalie wheels in the skates. You'd have a hard time finding proper fitting wheels. Goalie wheels come in different hardnesses, and if you can get a skate with a uniform chassis (where all the wheels are the same size) you may be able to find a set of Hyper Goalie wheels in 80A durometre (the hardest goalie wheels made).

Rinkrat's Crossbar goalie wheels are also a good option as Rinkrat's tend to be very durable regardless of surface. I personally use 80A (black) Hypers outdoors, and 76A (blue) Hypers indoors.

You can also try using (again, with a flat chassis) aggressive skate wheels, but you may find them too hard (upwards of a 92A durometre) even for outdoor surfaces, and slip out, depending on the surface.

Lastly, I suggest checking out eBay to see if you can snag goalie skates for inline hockey, you can occassionally get a good deal. I was able to (3 years ago) grab a barely used, basically brand new pair for $150, and a few months ago, a completely brand new pair, still in the box, for $135. Worth trying, IMO.

Good luck.

-- George.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
Ok, thanks. I will have to check out ebay. I've been watching for goalie ice skates there too, as I hope to shift over to ice someday. I didn't realize the chassis made such a difference. Thanks!

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
You really don't need goalie skates in roller hockey until you get into a higly competitive league... or your skates aren't stiff enough to not kill you when a puck hits them. My advice is to stay with what you have and save your money for when you make the jump to ice because you'll need more/better protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad