Alternate Reality: 2012 Pierre McGuire is hired as GM over MB, do we have a Cup by now?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
McGuire's awful.

I'm not sure why we're so obsessed about talking about bad hockey people here. McGuire in one thread and Roy in another.

None of the above please!
The thing is, we know that it was down to 2 candidates for the GM job, MB and PM, and Molson went with MB.. I just find it hard to believe that PM would have messed things up this badly, he's criticised many of MB's decisions and has been right most of the time, even if PM would be right 70% of the time, that would still be much better then MB's 30%. Bargainbin is so horrible i find it hard to believe that anyone could do worse.

Reactions: Runner77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The thing is, we know that it was down to 2 candidates for the GM job, MB and PM, and Molson went with MB.. I just find it hard to believe that PM would have messed things up this badly, he's criticised many of MB's decisions and has been right most of the time, even if PM would be right 70% of the time, that would still be much better then MB's 30%. Bargainbin is so horrible i find it hard to believe that anyone could do worse.
If in fact it came down to choosing between those two, Molson should have his head examined.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
That’s a much too simplistic way of looking at it.

It not because one is wrong that the other is right.

A GM job is also more then trades and I do think PM would be a good assistant GM though.

Taking Brule would have been a HUGE mistake. That would be worse then the Subban trade. Bob got that one right

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He has such a huge ego that he wouldn't last. Players would hate him, coach would hate him, other GMs would hate him...he thinks he knows everything there is to know about hockey but really his player knowledge is average at best. As mentioned, many of the players he has backed or trades he would have made ended up nowhere.

Mtl01

Feb 9, 2008
Montreal
Taking Brule would have been a HUGE mistake. That would be worse then the Subban trade. Bob got that one right

I played the video of what he said at the draft when they selected Price. He never mentions Brule. He said picking Price did not address the organizational needs (a "big body presence up the middle" - his exact words). The only person that mentioned Brule was Bob McKenzie.

Later on Melnick's show, he went on about they should have taken Kopitar. I thought he was right and they have yet to address that need all these years later. He also went ape shit the day they moved Mcdonagh for Gomez. There are other recent moves where his assessment was pretty bang on.

I'm not saying he would be perfect but I do believe he would have done much better than Bergevin especially when looking at the overall picture (minor system, drafts, both pro and amateur scouting, etc.). The Habs are in bad shape across the board in my view and I believe he would have put a far better foundation/infrastructure in place.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I played the video of what he said at the draft when they selected Price. He never mentions Brule. He said picking Price did not address the organizational needs (a "big body presence up the middle" - his exact words). The only person that mentioned Brule was Bob McKenzie.

Later on Melnick's show, he went on about they should have taken Kopitar. I thought he was right and they have yet to address that need all these years later. He also went ape **** the day they moved Mcdonagh for Gomez. There are other recent moves where his assessment was pretty bang on.

I'm not saying he would be perfect but I do believe he would have done much better than Bergevin especially when looking at the overall picture (minor system, drafts, both pro and amateur scouting, etc.). The Habs are in bad shape across the board in my view and I believe he would have put a far better foundation/infrastructure in place.
Thanks for clearing that up, seems like some posters here are either misinformed, making this stuff up or twisting things to prove a point.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You keep saying this but you fail to acknowledge that you twist what I say so I am not surprised why you think this way.
Didn't twist anything, I'm showing you the flaws in your logic.
If you don't know any of the moves he would make, then you cannot possibly know anything about the results.

Reactions: Tighthead

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The exact quote is that McGuire said he'd be open to trade that 2012 1st overall (Yakupov), but from the Oilers perspective, he'd be asking the Habs for Subban + 3rd overall (Galchenyuk). Now, mind you, he didn't say he'd do the trade, but that was his evaluation for a first offer.

His evaluation was so off on that one it's ridiculous. It's like the Habs saying they're open to trade Lekhonen to the Pens, but they first ask for Crosby + a pick.

Some McGuire fans around here will tell you "That's how negociation works! You start high!" Well... sorry guys, but that's not how it works. If your initial proposal is ridiculous, the other GM will simply stop answering his phone when he sees your number. And that's probably what would happen with McGuire if he ever was GM. The other guys would just laugh at him.

Ironically, probably why Bergie can't make a trade that brings in an NHL level player.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
To the OP, thanks much appreciated - I LOL'ed hard.
This team would not be much better off, I'll point to 2 things. He hasn't worked in this league since I was single AND just take a look at all the McGuire monsters through the years; try compiling a team, I dare you.

I also believe that he neither has the temperament nor the patience suited for the position. That being said give it to him to replace MB when the time comes. Maybe then they'll realize you need the proper mind in the proper position.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Personally, it think Mcguire would make an excellent gm and was really pissed off when BargainBin was chosen over him.
In today's salary cap NHL,the only way you can win is through great scouting, drafting and player development and the best gm's sign the very best candidates to fill these roles.
Say what you want about Mcguire, but this guy's scouting reports on amateurs and pros is phenomenal and there is no doubt in my mind that he would have surrounded himself with the best pro and amateur scouts available - not turds like Donald Audette, Sly and our non existent Europeen scouts amongst others

Knowing where a guy went to school, who his coach was, how many points he had in his third year, or who is father is, or where he was born, or his shoe size, or favourite midnight snack does not a good scout make.

It just makes him autistic for useless details....

And wait a minute, scouting reports? Does he even write scouting reports or is all he does is just flap his mouth on tv?

Me thinks you're making shit up....

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That’s a much too simplistic way of looking at it.

It not because one is wrong that the other is right.

A GM job is also more then trades and I do think PM would be a good assistant GM though.

From what I recall, the habs were very high on Marc staal that year. It was close but they took price.

I don't know exactly when staal turned into what he is today, but did he not have a decent start to his NHL career?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
McGuire was on tsn690 recently. They asked him what he'd do if he were GM of the canadiens. He said he'd love the opportunity to work with Alex Galchenyuk. He also thinks he's a center.

I'd like to see McGuire as GM just so I can see Chucky at center permanently for 2 years. Let him play through his growing pains.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
McGuire was on tsn690 recently. They asked him what he'd do if he were GM of the canadiens. He said he'd love the opportunity to work with Alex Galchenyuk. He also thinks he's a center.

I'd like to see McGuire as GM just so I can see Chucky at center permanently for 2 years. Let him play through his growing pains.
He says Galchenyuk is a Center and Drouin is a LW just like most of us do. He said from the start that Drouin was not a Center.

Reactions: Peanut

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Knowing where a guy went to school, who his coach was, how many points he had in his third year, or who is father is, or where he was born, or his shoe size, or favourite midnight snack does not a good scout make.

It just makes him autistic for useless details....

And wait a minute, scouting reports? Does he even write scouting reports or is all he does is just flap his mouth on tv?

Me thinks you're making **** up....[/QUOTE

Are you for real? You do know he was a scout before, right? And no, he doesn't give useless stats - he actually provides sometimes bang on player performance projections, which is what separates the best scouts from the mediocre ones.
Here's a few examples:

-Last year, before the season started, he accurately predicted that McDavid would win the scoring title when most wouldn't considering it was just his second year in the league and that he only played half a season before due to injury.

-He was touting Roman Josi before everyone knew who the hell he was.

- He's been saying forever that Klefblom was overrated while many people on this very board wanted him included in any deal for Subban.

- He was the only one to openly call out Carrey Price's poor play in this year's preseason when everyone was with their "chill out, it's just preseason" bull****.

I could go on, on....

Man, sometimes i think the Mguire haters are just as blind as the MB defenders.

Last edited:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
For all those that hate on McGuire: it couldn't be worse under him than it is now.
It could be much much worse.
Mcguire's Tenure A Bad Situation

Every NHL job he's had where he's been at the helm has been worse. His resume is very long, but he does not get hired by anyone for a reason.
Please don't make me some sort of Bergevin defender because I am not. But don't say we would be better off with another bad GM that gets to Monday Morning QB all the time, talk out of both sides of his mouth with zero resistance from his sycophants in the Montreal media.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It could be much much worse.
Mcguire's Tenure A Bad Situation

Every NHL job he's had where he's been at the helm has been worse. His resume is very long, but he does not get hired by anyone for a reason.
Please don't make me some sort of Bergevin defender because I am not. But don't say we would be better off with another bad GM that gets to Monday Morning QB all the time, talk out of both sides of his mouth with zero resistance from his sycophants in the Montreal media.
I don't want Pee Air as GM but to be fair that article is 24 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad