Alternate Reality: 2012 Pierre McGuire is hired as GM over MB, do we have a Cup by now?

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
I think he'd make an excellent scout or possibly an assistant GM. I don't think he has the experience to be a GM. That said I'm sure the team would be better with anyone besides Bargain bin even McGuire.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I would like Stephane Leroux as drafting boss instead of Timmins. This guys knows every single player, he knows the value of any prospects.

Nah, he really doesn't. He's more often than not way off in his prospect evaluations.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Who knows what moves Pierre makes and doesn’t make. We would still have no cup

Well isn't that contradictory? So you have not a single clue what moves Pierre makes, but somehow you know we don't win a cup. So basically, you do not think a single GM could have brought us to possibly win a cup in 5 years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was watching this and can confirm.
Euh no. I was watching too and he also clarified himself on the radio after on Mitch's show.
He said that is what he would ask if he were the Oilers, not that he would do it if in Montreal's shoes.
You are also talking about young prospects and while McGuire has ton of contacts who he talks with, he remains just a simply analysts paid to discuss things with and needs to fill in his time slots.

If he was an actual GM with his own private team of scouts, pro and amateur, telling him "there is no f***ing way you should trade Subban+ for Edmonton's first", well I'm pretty sure he would take their advice.

Now I'm not saying this because I would want him as a GM. I do not want him anywhere near that position. He is forever an analyst in my eyes. But it's very easy to start pointing at 1-2 things he might have said that ended up being completely wrong. It is hardly a proof of anything.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Well isn't that contradictory? So you have not a single clue what moves Pierre makes, but somehow you know we don't win a cup. So basically, you do not think a single GM could have brought us to possibly win a cup in 5 years.

Assuming one's conclusion. It's like a good crane kick: no can defence.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Not sure if he’s worse, not sure if he’s better. Doubt he wins a cup.

Like others said, I doubt he’d have the respect of a lot of his peers.

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
No idea how he'd be as a GM, but I do like listening to him on TSN690. He's definitely hockey smart. Whether or not that translate into front office success, I don't know.

However, he, or any other GM in the league would NOT have hired Therrien. So many of the problems we've had, be it systems implemented, misuse of players on the ice, mistreatment of players, favouritism of players, failed development of young players and prospects...ALL of it boils down to MB's coaching staff.

Obviously there's no way to prove this, but Galchenyuk may well have been developed as a C better, DD would not have been extended by the GM and given top 2 C minutes, Subban would not have been lowballed, possibly even signed at 6mill a year instead of bridged, and top 2 C may have been acquired......there's SO much you can list. It's been one poor decision after the other starting with the coaching staff hires.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Explained this before but you didn't remember this vs the the things I say you choose to remember ;)

I believe that we had a solid core to build on but we drafted 25th and above and the prospect pool from 2008-2011 greatly affected our ability to either insert new young players or trade them for a missing piece (example: Center). When Carter, Richards, Spezza, Seguin, RyJo, ROR, etc, became available, we were not aloud on the trade negotiation table because we couldn't even afford a buy in. We did have the 3rd overall pick right from the get go back in 2012 and took Galchenyuk which was a solid pick but that was not a good draft year for us to find the center we needed (in hindsight).

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Mcguire is perfect for TV............nothing else. Others around the league would laugh at this guy, more than they do at MB's wardrobe...

Proof, he wanted the Habs to take Brule in 05 and said drafting Price was a huge miscalculation in judgement. Brule, seriously...

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mcguire is perfect for TV............nothing else. Others around the league would laugh at this guy, more than they do at MB's wardrobe...

Proof, he wanted the Habs to take Brule in 05 and said drafting Price was a huge miscalculation in judgement. Brule, seriously...

Probably would of drafted Grigorenko instead of Chucky back in 2012 too.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I like how people are pointing to his firing 23 years ago as justification that he wouldn't have done well in the past 5. Terrible argument.

I have zero idea on whether or not things would be better, but our team for certain would look drastically different, so there's really no indication one way or another to me. All I know that as much as I've been forgiving on Bergy in the past few seasons (I've been on the fence for a long time about the Subban trade, but starting to like it less and less this season, I didn't like the Alzner signing at all, and there's been a lot of unfortunate misses with reclamation players in the past couple of seasons...), I would really like to see a change though, because sometimes that's just what you need.

Reactions: Pickles

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I like how people are pointing to his firing 23 years ago as justification that he wouldn't have done well in the past 5. Terrible argument.

I have zero idea on whether or not things would be better, but our team for certain would look drastically different, so there's really no indication one way or another to me. All I know that as much as I've been forgiving on Bergy in the past few seasons (I've been on the fence for a long time about the Subban trade, but starting to like it less and less this season, I didn't like the Alzner signing at all, and there's been a lot of unfortunate misses with reclamation players in the past couple of seasons...), I would really like to see a change though, because sometimes that's just what you need.

Just listen to the shit he says on the radio he contradicts himself like no other. He's an entertainer not a GM.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Euh no. I was watching too and he also clarified himself on the radio after on Mitch's show.
He said that is what he would ask if he were the Oilers, not that he would do it if in Montreal's shoes.

We went over that one a thousand times and yet, you still don't seem to get it.

Asking for Subban + 3rd overall for Yakupov is so ridiculous it would undermine your credibility as a GM. That's the problem with McGuire's statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad