Alternate Reality: 2012 Pierre McGuire is hired as GM over MB, do we have a Cup by now?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Pierre "Story Teller" McGuire, sure he tells a lot of stories, but few people in the world are more knowledgeable when it comes to hockey and it's players. He was my pick for GM from the start. I believe we would have been much better off with Pierre at the helm.

Please discuss...

Reactions: Hockey POTUS

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
No, we would be in a much worse position

Marc Bergevin at least had a tiny bit of experience working in an NHL front office. Pierre Mcguire hasn't worked in the NHL since he was fired from Hartford and there's probably a good reason for that:

McGuire fancied himself two parts Scotty Bowman and one part Bob Johnson. It turned out to be a superhuman leap of faith on his part.

At 32, McGuire was the youngest head coach in the NHL. He never had been a head coach at any level. And it showed. He is book smart and X's and O's smart, but often not people smart.

When a young man is so headstrong, so emotional, so calculating, such a control freak, so full of ambition and so full of himself, he will either rocket to the top or crash.

[...]

In a blistering post-mortem, captain Pat Verbeek called McGuire's firing the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said other teams mocked their coach. He said his own teammates had no respect for McGuire. He said a number of players wouldn't have wanted to play in Hartford anymore.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
ufc_117_anderson_silva_trouble_large.jpg

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If you were to go threw every draft day and have Pierre picking the players he felt should go at the spots he did, a lot of teams would be in a lot of trouble.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Maybe, maybe he has some capacity as a scout. A big part of being a gm and negotiating is charm and charisma. Pee-air has negative charisma.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Maybe but it wouldn’t be the Canadiens 25th Cup. It would be the 1st Cup for the Montreal Monsters.

Reactions: Beige Van

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Pierre "Story Teller" McGuire, sure he tells a lot of stories, but few people in the world are more knowledgeable when it comes to hockey and it's players. He was my pick for GM from the start. I believe we would have been much better off with Pierre at the helm.

Please discuss...

For all those that hate on McGuire: it couldn't be worse under him than it is now.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Pierre would have never traded Subban.

Yeah he talked a good game about trading him for Yakupov at the draft, but if he were with the team day in and day out, he would have seen how Subban always gives it 100% and how much he means to the team. I doubt he would have traded him.

Reactions: Peanut and Gains

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I don't understand the hype around McGuire. Guy's a total nerd/dork. Players, coaches and GMs have zero respect for that guy. We saw it during his stint as head coach in Hartford. You don't want a nerd as your GM. Well, maybe unless you're a nerd too.

He could probably be a good assistant GM, though. Just not the guy in charge.

And yeah... Subban + 3rd overall for Yakupov. Great trading evaluation there, Pierre.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He would overate french players and we'd end up with a club full of Patrick Poulin and Jonathan Ferland.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Lol !! Maybe but he seems to know all the players, not only the french ones. That's because he's paid to report about LHJMQ but when he talks about canadian, american and europeans, he knows his stuff.

On the other hand, Timmins is just crazy about Biellorussia players like the Kostytsin brothers and Grabovsky, then he went crazy about american college players who plays about 25 games a year when it's 75 games with canadian prospects. I'd take Leroux anytime over Timmins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gains

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Lol !! Maybe but he seems to know all the players, not only the french ones. That's because he's paid to report about LHJMQ but when he talks about canadian, american and europeans, he knows his stuff.

I'm sure he actually knows is "Shnout".

I'm just not a fan of media people becoming hockey managers. Specially here in Mtl where the Habs and the Media have such an ongoing bromance...

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm sure he actually knows is "Shnout".

I'm just not a fan of media people becoming hockey managers. Specially here in Mtl where the Habs and the Media have such an ongoing bromance...
He thinks all the rest is juste d'la shnoutte, lol. :laugh::laugh: You're right about one think, media guys have to stay in the medias. They are more confortable where they are and that's fine like that.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Do you have any evidence of this? I think i heard this deal mentioned somewhere...

The exact quote is that McGuire said he'd be open to trade that 2012 1st overall (Yakupov), but from the Oilers perspective, he'd be asking the Habs for Subban + 3rd overall (Galchenyuk). Now, mind you, he didn't say he'd do the trade, but that was his evaluation for a first offer.

His evaluation was so off on that one it's ridiculous. It's like the Habs saying they're open to trade Lekhonen to the Pens, but they first ask for Crosby + a pick.

Some McGuire fans around here will tell you "That's how negociation works! You start high!" Well... sorry guys, but that's not how it works. If your initial proposal is ridiculous, the other GM will simply stop answering his phone when he sees your number. And that's probably what would happen with McGuire if he ever was GM. The other guys would just laugh at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad