ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) drug approval by FDA

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Science marches forward
It is amazing how little progress has been made on ALS since 1939.

A professor at my old school got ALS. After a year, he was in an electric wheelchair like Steven Hawking. The second year he couldn't hold his head up. There was no third year. He was a big man, he looked like a pro football player, like a defensive lineman. That disease just destroyed him,

I think that anybody with ALS will try anything.

Does anybody know why Steven Hawking was able to live 50 years with ALS?

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Does anybody know why Steven Hawking was able to live 50 years with ALS?
You aren't the first to ponder that. See this NBC News story from the time of his death ...
“His survival is longer than most,” said Dr. Jeffrey Elliott, chief of the neuromuscular disorders section at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. “I think part of his longevity may have been because he had a slowly progressive form. Probably it was also due to the exclusive nursing and medical care that he received.” ...

People diagnosed when they are young, as Hawking was (21 years of age), live for longer for reasons that are not well understood. It may be that a different cause of the disease shows up in young adults.

“One type of ALS is caused by a change in gene A, another by gene B. There are different causes, also, for sporadic ALS,” said Elliott. ...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

A professor at my old school got ALS. After a year, he was in an electric wheelchair like Steven Hawking. The second year he couldn't hold his head up. There was no third year. He was a big man, he looked like a pro football player, like a defensive lineman. That disease just destroyed him,

There are different kinds of ALS and while it is deadly pretty fast to most as 80% die within 2-5 years of diagnoses. Some 20% can live a lot longer as the disease seems to affect them as a slower pace and this 20% can live for over 10 years, sometimes much more, but why exactly is still not really understood.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

I had an uncle who got ALS. Typical old-school European who was strong/thick-headed, tough as nails, his handshake was like shaking a brick. Then ALS wilted him to mush. Toughest part was that everything was fine upstairs -- just that the motions of his body wouldn't follow. Really sad to see.

It's unfortunate, as you say, that after all these years very little advancement has been made, and that a diagnosis of ALS is still a death sentence with a limited time to it. :(

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

There's "classic" ALS which is the quicker death version and there's PLS which progresses much slower and doesn't attack the heart/breathing as quickly.

My grandfather had PLS and had it for 15 years before he passed from it

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Why is the FDA approving it if it has questionable data? Shouldn't it take years of testing before it's approved?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Why is the FDA approving it if it has questionable data? Shouldn't it take years of testing before it's approved?
On this rare occasion, the U.S. FDA showed they have a heart. Increasing public pressure over the last few years no doubt softened them some, too, especially when faced with a chance to change the course of a deadly incurable disease that carries a high level of recognition.

Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
On this rare occasion, the U.S. FDA showed they have a heart. Increasing public pressure over the last few years no doubt softened them some, too, especially when faced with a chance to change the course of a deadly incurable disease that carries a high level of recognition.
This pretty much. People with this kind of disease know they have a death sentence so trying something that shows a lot of promise is worth it since they are likely going to suffer and die soon anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00