2. Orr 1970 G4 Final

you?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
chooch said:
Most overrated goals ever:

2. Orr 1970 G4 Final

you?

I can't believe I agree with you on anything but that goal is over-rated. It is visually dramatic but for it to be really important it needs to be in Game 6 or 7. To clinch a sweep isn't nearly as memorable.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I did one of these months ago and here's my list from it.

1. Paul Henderson 1972 Game 8 of the Summit Series. A great play by Esposito to get the puck to the net. Henderson did the rest even though he missed his first chance. The amazing thing was there was only 34 seconds left in the game.

2. Mario's goal in the 1987 Canada Cup Game 3. Similar to the Henderson but this time there was only 1:30 left to go in the game. 3on1 and a great shot my Mario.

3. Paul Henderson Game 7 of the Summit Series. With over three minutes left Henderson dekes passed the Soviet defenceman and goes top corner. It was a amazing goal and without it his goal in game 8 would have been meaningless.

4. Mario's goal in game two of the 1987 Canada Cup. It was double overtime. Both teams were going end to end and both goalies were playing great. Similar to the Henderson goal in that without it Mario's goal in game three wouldn't have happened.

5. Canada Cup 1976 Game 2. Canada won the first game 5-0 against the Czechs. The second game was closer. Bill Barber scored a late third period goal to send it into overtime. Darryl Sittler got a break down the left hand side, he faked the shot and put it passed the Czech goalie.

6. Mike Bossy 1984 Canada Cup, the semi final game against the Soviets. The Soviets has beaten the Canadians bad in the 1981 Canada Cup 8-1. Canada was looking for revenge. This team started off slow. It was 2-2 I believe in overtime. Paul Coffey makes a great defensive play to break up a two on one and he takes it into the Soviet's zone and Bossy tips Coffey's shot. Canada beats Sweden in the final to win the Canada Cup.

7. Peter Mahovlich Game 2 of the Summit Series. Canada was leading 2-1 and they were killing a penatly. Mahovlich takes the puck up the ice he faked the shot went around the Soviet defenceman and he made an incredible move on Tretiak.

8. Vincent Lecavailer 2004 World Cup Semi Final. Canada was outplayed in this game. After getting one goal leads the Czechs would come right back and score. The game went into overtime and after a great save by Luongo, Vincent gets the puck in front of the net and goes top corner.

9. John Slaney 1991 World Juniors. Canada had to beat a Russian team that had Moginly Fedorov and Bure. If they tied the game the Russians would get gold. It was 2-2 and in the third period Slaney gets the puck at the point and blasts it passed the Russian goaltender.

10. Anson Carter 2003 World Championship. Canada was trailing 2-0 early to Sweden. Canada quickly tied it by goals by Horcoff and I forget the other player( I think it was Morrow). The game went into overtime and Anson Carter went around the net and wrapped the puck in the net.

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

Bob Baun's OT goal in Game Six in the 1964 Stanley Cup Finals on a broken leg (note it did NOT win the Cup sending the series back to Toronto for Game 7). Even more amazing was that Baun played Game 7 which Toronto won and never missed a shift.

Bashing Bill Barilko's Stanley Cup winning goal in 1951 in Game Five for the Leafs. All the games that series against the Habs went into overtime. Barilko would disappear in a plane crash in Northern Ontario that off-season. The Leafs didn't win their next Cup until 1962, the same year his remains were discovered.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
chooch said:
1. Henderson G8 1972
2. Henderson G7
3. Henderson G6
4. Cournoyer G8
5. Lemieux G3 87 Canada Cup
6. Bossy(if) 84 Canada Cup
7. Lemieux G2 87 Canada Cup
8. Kariya 2002
9. Lafleur 79 G7 Semis
10. ____ 2006 Turin

Most overrated goals ever:

1. Sittler G2 Finals 76 Canada Cup
2. Orr 1970 G4 Final

you?

If any goal is overrated, it´s the Henderson one! A bad play from Vasiliev and Tretiak is not so great on it either. Plus the Canadian team of ´76 is much superior to ´72 and so is the Czech team to the Soviets of ´72!

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Marcus-74 said:
If any goal is overrated, it´s the Henderson one! A bad play from Vasiliev and Tretiak is not so great on it either. Plus the Canadian team of ´76 is much superior to ´72 and so is the Czech team to the Soviets of ´72!

Uhm... No the Henderson can't possibly be over-rated.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
canucksfan said:

1. Paul Henderson 1972 Game 8 of the Summit Series. A great play by Esposito to get the puck to the net. Henderson did the rest even though he missed his first chance. The amazing thing was there was only 34 seconds left in the game.

2. Mario's goal in the 1987 Canada Cup Game 3. Similar to the Henderson but this time there was only 1:30 left to go in the game. 3on1 and a great shot my Mario.

3. Paul Henderson Game 7 of the Summit Series. With over three seconds left Henderson dekes passed the Soviet defenceman and goes top corner. It was a amazing goal and without it his goal in game 8 would have been meaningless.

4. Mario's goal in game two of the 1987 Canada Cup. It was double overtime. Both teams were going end to end and both goalies were playing great. Similar to the Henderson goal in that without it Mario's goal in game three wouldn't have happened.

5. Canada Cup 1976 Game 2. Canada won the first game 5-0 against the Czechs. The second game was closer. Bill Barber scored a late third period goal to send it into overtime. Darryl Sittler got a break down the left hand side, he faked the shot and put it passed the Czech goalie.

6. Mike Bossy 1984 Canada Cup, the semi final game against the Soviets. The Soviets has beaten the Canadians bad in the 1981 Canada Cup 8-1. Canada was looking for revenge. This team started off slow. It was 2-2 I believe in overtime. Paul Coffey makes a great defensive play to break up a two on one and he takes it into the Soviet's zone and Bossy tips Coffey's shot. Canada beats Sweden in the final to win the Canada Cup.

7. Peter Mahovlich Game 2 of the Summit Series. Canada was leading 2-1 and they were killing a penatly. Mahovlich takes the puck up the ice he faked the shot went around the Soviet defenceman and he made an incredible move on Tretiak.

8. Vincent Lecavailer 2004 World Cup Semi Final. Canada was outplayed in this game. After getting one goal leads the Czechs would come right back and score. The game went into overtime and after a great save by Luongo, Vincent gets the puck in front of the net and goes top corner.

9. John Slaney 1991 World Juniors. Canada had to beat a Russian team that had Moginly Fedorov and Bure. If they tied the game the Russians would get gold. It was 2-2 and in the third period Slaney gets the puck at the point and blasts it passed the Russian goaltender.

10. Anson Carter 2003 World Championship. Canada was trailing 2-0 early to Sweden. Canada quickly tied it by goals by Horcoff and I forget the other player( I think it was Morrow). The game went into overtime and Anson Carter went around the net and wrapped the puck in the net.
Great list. The Slaney goal has long been one of my all-time favourites. Very underrated in Canadian hockey circles. I'm a huge fan of the old Canada vs. USSR hockey rivalries (there isn't a better international rivalry involving a North American team) and to me, that was the last epic Canada vs. USSR battle. (USSR broke apart less than 12 months later). The game meant a lot, too. Canada needed to win to strike gold for the second straight year (for the first time ever). A tie and they win bronze. If they lose, there was a chance they wouldn't medal. So many possibilities. The game delivered, with plenty of drama and emotion, brilliant plays and great goaltending. Greatest game in WJC history.

Henderson in 1972 has to be No. 1. The fitting end for the most intense, most important and most endearing hockey series ever. His goal in Game 7 was prettier, but his goal in Game 8 will likely go down as the most legendary goal in hockey history. Lemieux in Game 3 in 1987 is No. 2.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Marcus-74 said:
There is no way the Henderson goal in Game 8 is overrated. It is by far the most important goal in Canadian history.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Good list canucksfan. I'm from Saskatoon and was at the game. When Slaney put it in, the place exploded. What a moment that was!!!

Actually, I completely agree with your 10 choices.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
canucksfan said:

I still don't know how he scored from that angle.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
canucksfan said:
There is no way the Henderson goal in Game 8 is overrated. It is by far the most important goal in Canadian history.

I just thought that "Top goals" meant it was also supposed to be a great goal (=great play or pass/beautiful goal etc.) and not just important, but I guess I was wrong.

Take away the political aspect and the fact that this was the first time these two hockey "super powers" met, it´s a very disappointing series (quality of play, that is...). You got one very good game (=G8) and lots of mediocre ones with some great playing here and there. But the point is that it was an overrated series played by two VERY overrated teams. It was just a start of something better; both improved hugely from that...

Then again, I wasn´t even born in ´72 and I´m not Canadian, so I guess I can´t really understand the hype.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
I agree completely on the Henderson G8 goal being the most overrated in history. There was absolutely *nothing* worth telling about that play, except for the fact that it happened to clinch the Summit Series. So for a non-Canadian like myself, it's simply a very average goal among so many others.

Although I hope I'm not offending the Canadians here, 'cause my view would probably be very different had I been born in Canada.

chooch*

Sampe said:
I agree completely on the Henderson G8 goal being the most overrated in history. There was absolutely *nothing* worth telling about that play, except for the fact that it happened to clinch the Summit Series. So for a non-Canadian like myself, it's simply a very average goal among so many others.

Although I hope I'm not offending the Canadians here, 'cause my view would probably be very different had I been born in Canada.

It cant be explained to you; even nonsports fans were watching all the games and knew all the players on both teams. There was a huge discussion on Canadian arrogance and rough play during the series.

Team Canada was 1-3-1 with 3 games left on the road.

Henderson Henderson Henderson.

Rather Gingerly 1*

chooch said:
It cant be explained to you; even nonsports fans were watching all the games and knew all the players on both teams. There was a huge discussion on Canadian arrogance and rough play during the series.

Team Canada was 1-3-1 with 3 games left on the road.

Henderson Henderson Henderson.

At the time Henderson must have been the most popular Canadian of all time. That was something unreal.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
canucksfan said:

3. Paul Henderson Game 7 of the Summit Series. With over three minutes left Henderson dekes passed the Soviet defenceman and goes top corner. It was a amazing goal and without it his goal in game 8 would have been meaningless.

Did you ever notice that on Mario's goal in 1987, he would have been covered coming down the ice but the Soviet checker was hooked from behind making it a three on one instead of a two on one. I can't help feel it tarnishes it a bit.

KOVALEV10*

daver said:
Did you ever notice that on Mario's goal in 1987, he would have been covered coming down the ice but the Soviet checker was hooked from behind making it a three on one instead of a two on one. I can't help feel it tarnishes it a bit.

Well you can bet your arse Lemieux would've still created a very good scoring chance and either him or Gretz would've ended up scoring.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
daver said:
This has been raised before; it does not tarnish this goal any more than the hook on Ray Bourque in game one that wasn't called, leading to a Soviet breakaway and goal in a 6-5 OT win for the Soviets (this was in the 2nd period, not in OT). Hawerchuck clearly hooked a player who was skating alongside Lemiux, but it worked for both sides in that series.

espo*

Ludwig Fell Down said:
This has been raised before; it does not tarnish this goal any more than the hook on Ray Bourque in game one that wasn't called, leading to a Soviet breakaway and goal in a 6-5 OT win for the Soviets (this was in the 2nd period, not in OT). Hawerchuck clearly hooked a player who was skating alongside Lemiux, but it worked for both sides in that series.
100% correct.Great call...........................i like you,you told it like it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad