Signing(s): Allen Robinson & Trey Burton with Bears

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Much like Sherman, he cashed in as soon as possible.

Risky but I still prefer him and the unknown over Watkins.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Speculation. Bears only offered him 1.9 mil and no pick tender. A smart team would come calling with a multiyear deal around 7/8 mil per.

You think he's worth that much? Not much of a track record, coming off an acl injury, as was Robinson obviously.

I would hope Bears can keep him though, so maybe some team would do it.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You think he's worth that much? Not much of a track record, coming off an acl injury, as was Robinson obviously.

I would hope Bears can keep him though, so maybe some team would do it.

If they didn't put a tender on him..they don't value him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If they really cared about keeping him, they'd do what San Diego did to Tyrell Williams..put a 2nd round tender on him.

I'm certainly not that well versed with NFL contracts, but it appears the tender they offered is less money. It sounds like they are trying to keep him on the cheap. Maybe that will backfire.

The team plans to extend original-round tenders to restricted free agents Cam Meredith and Josh Bellamy, sources said Monday, awarding each a $1.907 million contract for 2018 and retaining the right to match outside offers.

The Bears could’ve given Meredith a second-round tender, which would’ve cost them about $1 million more in salary and would’ve required a second-round pick from any team that outbid the Bears. With original-round tenders, the Bears don’t receive compensation if they don’t match another team’s offer.

Still, it appears as if both players will play for the Bears in 2018. Meredith, the former Illinois State quarterback, caught 66 passes for 888 yards in 2016. He was poised to be the team’s top receiver last year before tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee — and partially tearing the medial collateral ligament — in the third preseason game. He has been working out at Halas Hall.

Bears free agency: Team extends contracts to WRs Cam Meredith, Josh Bellamy

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wonder if the 49ers will target a WR or if they might go after one in the draft. They did just sign Goodwin, but there was so much talking about pushing hard to get Robinson.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Burton said he feels disrespected by the Eagles because they didn't try to re-sign him. That you can do anything if you put your mind to it and they could have freed up cap space to bring him back. They knew they couldn't bring him back and any offer would be an insult. He could have gone to them and told them he'd take less $ to come back. He has 32 million things he can wipe his tears with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad