All WHA franchises to name coaches, GMs by end of week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
The article says it all : It's probably the make-or-break week for the World Hockey Association, the only two franchises who seem organised right now are Quebec and Detroit.

But I'm still optimist that they can put everything together; it's not impossible even if it's unlikely. Well, we'll just have to wait and see how things developpe.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Colour me skeptical. How can you have several teams who don't have arenas yet?
That is accurate....and something else is bringing me to the point where this whole thing would be better off flushed.....

They had their drafts on July 17th. Most teams don't have GMs. Wouldn't you think the General Manager might want to be involved with drafting their team? Nah...that would make too much sense.

Jim_Harnock

Feb 27, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
www.harnock.com
George Bachul said:
They had their drafts on July 17th. Most teams don't have GMs. Wouldn't you think the General Manager might want to be involved with drafting their team? Nah...that would make too much sense.

Well, you have to remember that the drafts were basically for show. They will most likely have absolutely no bearing at all on the final rosters.

Feb 12, 2003
Still, this league has been backwards for months, if not years.

Having a free agent and entry level draft before GM's and Coach's are in place, before buildings are even committed, and in some cases before teams are even committed.

I'm pulling for the WHA to get up on it's feet and see what it can do, but it doesn't seem that stable, and for those who think the NHL is poorly run -- it looks to have more organization than the WHA at this point.

You think someone would be able to come along and set this all up right, and create a buzz at an opportune time and be able to give birth to the league.

One thing I found a little odd, when the President of the WHA was on the radio here in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago, he said that the WHA was planning to get started up in 2001, but the 9/11 Tragedy put an end to that. Seems a little odd to mention that as I don't remember the league getting anywhere until this year. Considering the 9/11 Tragedy occurred in September, nearly game time, the league would have had to have some feet at that point to start that season, and if it stopped the league from starting a year later -- 9/11 is not the only reason it didn't go anywhere.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Jim_Harnock said:
Well, you have to remember that the drafts were basically for show. They will most likely have absolutely no bearing at all on the final rosters.
Which is another reason to take them less seriously.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
GoCoyotes said:
One thing I found a little odd, when the President of the WHA was on the radio here in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago, he said that the WHA was planning to get started up in 2001, but the 9/11 Tragedy put an end to that. Seems a little odd to mention that as I don't remember the league getting anywhere until this year. Considering the 9/11 Tragedy occurred in September, nearly game time, the league would have had to have some feet at that point to start that season, and if it stopped the league from starting a year later -- 9/11 is not the only reason it didn't go anywhere.

That's BS. Not what you said, what the WHA said. First, it's a lie, because the WHA's site says the Inaugural Franchisee Meetings took place in December of 2003. So if that were true, they would have had some kind of inaugural franchisee meeting prior to 9/11. And second, it's pretty pathetic to use 9/11 as some kind of excuse for something like this. And it's also pretty damn stupid, because 9/11 pushing back a second rate hockey league 2 years just doesn't make any sense. Not only can they not get their league together properly, they can't even make up backstories properly.

Feb 12, 2003
Dr Love said:
That's BS. Not what you said, what the WHA said. First, it's a lie, because the WHA's site says the Inaugural Franchisee Meetings took place in December of 2003. So if that were true, they would have had some kind of inaugural franchisee meeting prior to 9/11. And second, it's pretty pathetic to use 9/11 as some kind of excuse for something like this. And it's also pretty damn stupid, because 9/11 pushing back a second rate hockey league 2 years just doesn't make any sense. Not only can they not get their league together properly, they can't even make up backstories properly.

That was kind of the way I felt after I heard him. I knew the timeline didn't make sense, and I thought it was very tasteless to link the two together like he did.

It's just an example of how they are trying to keep it all tied together but they don't have much strength.

I still wish someone more competant would have been in charge of the rebirth.

Jacques Strappe

Feb 12, 2004
Halifax
The sports guy on a local radio station here in Halifax says the coach/GM jobs for the Icebreakers :shakehead are between Barney the Dinosaur and Spongebob Squarepants...

If local sports media aren't taking this thing seriously (and they shouldn't), really...what are the odds of it succeeding? Nil.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
I love this quote:

"The Molson Indy pushed everything back,'' Young replied when asked why the overdue Founder's Franchise announcement hadn't been made.
What happened, did he get stuck on the wrong side of the track and had to wait for it to finish?

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Well, it's Saturday, and I haven't seen any big announcements yet. How hard can it be??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->