All-Time Teams - Detroit Red Wings vs. Boston Bruins

Who wins a 7 game series between these two all-time powerhouses?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Which of these teams would win a 7 game series?

Boston Bruins

Bucyk-Esposito-Clapper
Dumart-Schmidt-Bauer
Oates-Cowley-Neely
Marchand-Bergeron-Hodge

Orr-Bourque
Shore-Hitchman
Chara-Park

Brimsek
Thompson

Detroit Red Wings

Lindsay-Abel-Howe
Shanahan-Yzerman-Delvecchio
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Ullman
Kozlov-Fedorov-Larionov

Lidstrom-Chelios
Kelly-Pronovost
Konstantinov-Fetisov

Sawchuk
Osgood

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bruins forwards need adjusting...

Thornton, Middleton, Cashman, Hodge in...Bauer, Cowley, Recchi, Marchand out

Also, Oates bumps Bergeron to wing

Bucyk - Esposito - Neely
Dumart - Schmidt - Middleton
Cashman - Oates - Bergeron
Clapper - Thornton - Hodge

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Bruins forwards need adjusting...

Thornton, Middleton, Cashman, Hodge in...Bauer, Cowley, Recchi, Marchand out

Also, Oates bumps Bergeron to wing

Bucyk - Esposito - Neely
Dumart - Schmidt - Middleton
Cashman - Oates - Bergeron
Clapper - Thornton - Hodge

This is an all-time team, not a half 70s/half all-time team. Joe Thornton will be known primarily as a San Jose Shark too. I try not to add players who are more associated with another team. Marchand is already a better player than those you listed as well, same with Recchi and especially Cowley.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You might say the same thing about Park too.

But no big deal.

He had an 8 year split on each team though, you could go either way with this one. Ratelle was on the Rangers a lot longer and had most of his best seasons there.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Regardless of whether or not everyone agrees with the exact roster could we still vote and have a discussion based on these teams (make mental adjustments if you need to)? It's almost impossible to create an all-time roster that everyone will totally agree with anyway, plus it's completely hypothetical and just for fun.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This is an all-time team, not a half 70s/half all-time team. Joe Thornton will be known primarily as a San Jose Shark too. I try not to add players who are more associated with another team. Marchand is already a better player than those you listed as well, same with Recchi and especially Cowley.

then Recchi is definitely out. He is not thought of as a Bruin 1st.

Cowley staying in over Cashman, ok.

However Marchand has not touched Hodge or Middleton yet. The 2 year run Marchand is on right now? Hodge and Middleton each did it for a decade.

Hodge:

674 points in 652 games as a Bruin (and 620 PIM, he brought the nastiness too)
2x AS-1
1x 50+ goals
3x 40+ goals
4x 30+ goals
2x 100+ points
3x 90+ points

Middleton:

898 points in 881 games as a Bruin as well as being one of the top 2-way wingers of the 80s
1x 50+ goals
5x 40+ goals
8x 30+ goals
2x 100+ points
5x 90+ points

Marchand:

459 points in 600 games
0x 50+ goals
0x 40+ goals
3x 30+ goals
0x 100+ points
0x 90+ points

Hodge and Middleton are absolute locks for an all time team. Especially over Marchand and Bauer

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
then Recchi is definitely out. He is not thought of as a Bruin 1st.

Cowley staying in over Cashman, ok.

However Marchand has not touched Hodge or Middleton yet. The 2 year run Marchand is on right now? Hodge and Middleton each did it for a decade.

Hodge:

674 points in 652 games as a Bruin (and 620 PIM, he brought the nastiness too)
2x AS-1
1x 50+ goals
3x 40+ goals
4x 30+ goals
2x 100+ points
3x 90+ points

Middleton:

898 points in 881 games as a Bruin as well as being one of the top 2-way wingers of the 80s
1x 50+ goals
5x 40+ goals
8x 30+ goals
2x 100+ points
5x 90+ points

Marchand:

459 points in 600 games
0x 50+ goals
0x 40+ goals
3x 30+ goals
0x 100+ points
0x 90+ points

Different eras. Marchand was leading the NHL in points per game this season until McDavid's 3 point night last night and finished tied for 3rd in points last season. Plus his chemistry with Bergeron is a huge plus. Also makes sense to spread the wealth among different eras instead of loading up on 70s players who weren't even necessarily better. I appreciate your input though and will consider shaking the lines up a bit.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Norm Ullman over Franzen, please (out of position or not). I would also take Holmstrom over Kozlov.

Tried to get the Russian 5 together. Franzen also played great with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, especially in the playoffs where he was beastly. Ullman was far better than him in the regular season for a long enough time while also amazing in the playoffs that I think I'll make the switch though.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I've already read the post above about Thornton being more of a Shark, but Joe Thornton played over 500 games for Boston and was their best player for most of that stretch. Plus he was drafted by the team which for me certainly counts for something. A big, strong playmaking centre that can drop the gloves when needed. He would make Boston stronger, and it could be the difference because Detroit is definitely better up front even with Thornton. Having a line like Lucic/Thornton/Neely would give Boston a line appropriate for the Big Bad Bruins - somebody has to counter Gordie Howe.

This is a really, really close call for me. I can see these two teams going to a lot of Game 7's.

Forwards: Detroit - clear but not big advantage
Defense: Boston - large advantage
Goalies: Detroit - huge advantage

I really want to pick the team with Bobby Orr, because he's the biggest game-breaker here. The Boston defense corps is far and away the best that any NHL all-time team can ice.

But, I think Detroit has too many advantages; having Terry Sawchuk in net is a huge advantage for me. They are pulling players from two strong dynasties of different eras, and so have the advantage of a more proven chemistry, whereas Boston would have to do a little more mixing and matching (which admittedly could turn out really well too). If we also take the coaching that these teams had into consideration, then I'd pick Detroit.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
then detroit shouldn't get fetisov and larionov, right?

flaman-chara would be one hell of a scary pairing

What other all-time NHL teams would they be on? Their careers outside of the NHL shouldn't stop them from being on here unless we were going to compare Detroit with a Russian team. I just think if we are going to compare all-time NHL teams it doesn't make sense to have the same player on more than one team, which some would disagree with and that's okay.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd fit Herbie Lewis right there with Fedorov and Larionov. Larionov on the wing is EXTREMELY wrong, and makes the team based on his non-NHL presumably....

Hell, Herbie Lewis - Marty Barry - Larry Aurie would be ... literally, the Wings first line from their back-to-back Cups.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'd fit Herbie Lewis right there with Fedorov and Larionov. Larionov on the wing is EXTREMELY wrong, and makes the team based on his non-NHL presumably....

Hell, Herbie Lewis - Marty Barry - Larry Aurie would be ... literally, the Wings first line from their back-to-back Cups.

You remember the Russian 5 unit for Detroit right. Did Larionov play center there because I thought it was Fedorov?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ebbie Goodfellow and Jack Stewart on the wings defense (ahead of Chelios, Fetisov, Konstantinov, arguably Pronovost).

Dit Clapper on the Boston defense (ahead of Park as far as I'm concerned).

Just the names that comes to mind among older players.Might try to make the full line ups later.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
For Boston my defense would be:

Chara-Orr
Clapper-Bourque
Hitchman-Shore

there might be better candidates than Hitchman but I put him there due to the chemistry with Shore.

Detroit:

Lidstrom-Chelios
Kelly-Stewart
Goodfellow-Pronovost

or something like that, Chelios is questionable

Quackenbush splitted his career between both teams.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Ebbie Goodfellow and Jack Stewart on the wings defense (ahead of Chelios, Fetisov, Konstantinov, arguably Pronovost).

Dit Clapper on the Boston defense (ahead of Park as far as I'm concerned).

Just the names that comes to mind among older players.Might try to make the full line ups later.

Clapper spent more time at RW though and has more all-star selections there.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Clapper's best years were at defense as far as I know.His prime at defense was short but very successful.

True, but i think it's clever putting him at RW here. Boston needs talented RWs a lot more than they need dmen, and Clapper's style seems a good fit with Esposito.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
True, but i think it's clever putting him at RW here. Boston needs talented RWs a lot more than they need dmen, and Clapper's style seems a good fit with Esposito.

Good point.I was completely ignoring the forwards when I made that comment, because I was too lazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad