All Time Draft First Round - Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Now that the voting is over I would just like to say that I feel that in a playoff series I really like Edmonton's chances against this Vancouver team. The main thing that they are lacking is a great offensive punch, however there is solid scoring distributed throughout the lineup which would make this less of a burden.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Now that the voting is over I would just like to say that I feel that in a playoff series I really like Edmonton's chances against this Vancouver team. The main thing that they are lacking is a great offensive punch, however there is solid scoring distributed throughout the lineup which would make this less of a burden.

Bah! Orr is being way too underrated by everybody. He's arguably the best damn player ever. This guy schooled pretty much anyone he played. I think Vancouver has got a decent chance, but in the end, you may be right. But I don't "really like Edmonton's chances" just yet.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I think that Orr will ensure that the series will last for a number of games, however when the Canucks are a team that lacks scoring depth, going up against the best checking line in the draft is going to severly reduce their chances, you can only rely on offense from Orr for so long before the team starts to suffer as a result. Likely the best player of all time but that doesn't change the simple fact that it will be an uphill battle for the Canucks. However upsets have happened before.... nyquil is good by the way, especially when combined with sinus medication.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1:
  • Schmidt wins the opening draw to Orr; who immediatly turns it into a rush the other way, but Vachon stops the shot.
  • Stewart gets a pass in the slot, spits in Ricter's face and shoots one by him. The ref immediately throws Stewart out of the game with goalie interference and unsportsman-like conduct penalties.

On the ensuing powerplay!
  • Orr fakes the pass to Naslund but backhands it to Conacher who rips a shot past Vachon.
  • The Oilers try and get it back, but the depth of Vancouver's defence is too much.
  • Gainey is able to watch the Conacher/Orr connection for the rest of the night, but, Loob gets a between the legs pass to Shutt who wrists one home for the 2-0 lead.
  • The Oiler's press harder and Anderson is able to get a goal crashing the net. But that's all they could muster.

The Vancouver Canucks lead the Edmonton Oilers 1 game to 0 after a 2-1 win.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 2

• Nels Stewart returns with a fire in his belly. Crushing Redden with a thunderous body check on his second shift
  • Later, Stewart is getting in Richter's face and he tips in a Turnbull point shot for the opening goal.
  • In the second, after killing the first 5 powerplays of the game, the Oiler's penalty kill can't stop a Bobby Orr point shot that makes it's way through a crowd and off Black Jack's skate and in.
  • On the next shift Stewart is possessed, he takes the lead pass from Babych and, despite his lack of speed he breaks in the Canucks zone, using his size and strength to protect the puck. Head fake, wrist shot high blocker side for the game winner.

Series tied 1-2 after the Oiler's 2-1 win.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 3:
  • The Canucks tighten things up defensively and play a Jacques Lemaire game. This suits the Oiler's fine. Things slow to a halt as the two teams grind it out.
  • Darryl Sittler skates hard to the net but Adam Foote angles him to the boards where Graves crushes him.
  • Mike Peca darn near decapitates Broten with a breathtaking open ice hit.
  • Late in the game, Canucks on the powerplay for the 7th time after an Al Secord penalty. Orr breaks in before the PK can get set up, passes back to Conacher who one times it past Vachon for the only goal of the game.

The Vancouver Canucks lead the Edmonton Oilers 2 games to 1 after a 1-0 win.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Sounds like the refs are Vancouver fans.........:rant:

Its the Oilers against the world!!!!

Everyones Against Us!!!!

The NHL hates the Oilers!!!

Rah, Rah Rah!!!

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Quick Summary:

In Game 4, Conacher comes in the zone with his head down, and Stevens makes him pay. Conacher is out with a concussion for the remainder of the series. Orr is still a constant threat at both ends, but, Gainey is able to shutdown Schmidt and Naslund, which neutralizes alot of Orr's offense by proxy. Lindsay takes his team on the back offensively getting 2 goals and 4 assists in the final 3 games. With Vancouver retreated offensively without Conacher, Edmonton is able to win the last 3 games convincingly, with Glenn Anderson getting the final two game winning goals.

The Edmonton Oilers defeat the Vancouver Canucks 4 games to 2.

Three Stars:
1st: Bobby Orr
2nd: Ted Lindsay
3rd: Bob Gainey

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Boo Yah!!

Thank-you Bob Gainey, keep up the stellar work and you just might find yourself a future first round pick for the Oil!

Gotta say hats off to FI #2, I was a little surprised to find that I had to face off against you in the first round. Tracking your team throughout the draft I knew it would be a tough squad. Its nice to know that I was able to put together a team good enough to defeat yours but at the same time sucks that a good team and gm like yourself gets knocked out first round.

I enjoyed the banter back and forth and hope we can face off with each other in future drafts.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I hate to say it but I wonder if Gainey is being vastly overrated in these drafts by well pretty much everyone. Now I know that he is a great defensive player but at the same time he wasn't a superhuman hockey player who you could put on the ice and neutralize the oppositions best player. That is just one of the little quirks that I have noted.... and the first person to pull out the Tikhonov quote wins.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I hate to say it but I wonder if Gainey is being vastly overrated in these drafts by well pretty much everyone. Now I know that he is a great defensive player but at the same time he wasn't a superhuman hockey player who you could put on the ice and neutralize the oppositions best player. That is just one of the little quirks that I have noted.... and the first person to pull out the Tikhonov quote wins.

The reason I didn't say he was a bad pick was that is that I knew he got more 3-star votes than any other 4th round picks last time. The same seems to be holding true.

That said, I would have preferred a non-rush job to explain it, but, my thinking was that he could neutralize Schmidt, a wet towel can neutralize Naslund in the playoffs, and, with Conacher out, Orr's lack of options would make it so he is effective, but, not effective enough to win games. Like a 20 year old Lemieux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->