All-time Draft First Round: #4 New York Rangers vs. #5 Boston Bruins with RESULTS

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Dont worry about it, you totally followed procedure. I chose Neilson of Dit Calpper as my coach because my team is going to be judged so i thought it would be better to have a more framiliar coach who also has acomplished more in his career. Not a big deal.

I think you put way too much emphasis on this Mr. newspaper reporter. Our teams are not full of children, they are men and proven winners that wont let garbage outside the rink effect the way they play on the ice.
Messier is my go to guy, he's my leader, and will lead on the ice as he wishes. If he wants to win he wont let his relationship with Roger get in the way, and I know he wants to win.

But he wanted to win in 1992-93, and that didn't stop him from doing everything in his power to get Roger fired. And he succeeded. And the Rangers canned Neilson only a few months after giving him a multi-year contract extension that was supposed to give him that lengthy stay in a city that he never enjoyed before.

Messier really manipulated the young talent on the Rangers to get them on his side against Neilson.

The situation in New York with Messier and Neilson was toxic when Neilson got fired. It was a big reason for the Rangers failure that year. Hiring Roger's boy (Smith) as the replacement might not have helped. Of course, Mike Richter's AHL-calibre play didn't help either.

While it's true that you have a lot of character and leadership on your team, something like a negative relationship between the coach and the franchise player can be the difference between a championship and an elimination in the division.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
But he wanted to win in 1992-93, and that didn't stop him from doing everything in his power to get Roger fired. And he succeeded. And the Rangers canned Neilson only a few months after giving him a multi-year contract extension that was supposed to give him that lengthy stay in a city that he never enjoyed before.

Messier really manipulated the young talent on the Rangers to get them on his side against Neilson.

The situation in New York with Messier and Neilson was toxic when Neilson got fired. It was a big reason for the Rangers failure that year. Hiring Roger's boy (Smith) as the replacement might not have helped. Of course, Mike Richter's AHL-calibre play didn't help either.

While it's true that you have a lot of character and leadership on your team, something like a negative relationship between the coach and the franchise player can be the difference between a championship and an elimination in the division.

Well it's a different situation and i dont think it's somthing that cant be worked out. Messier will still do whatever it takes to win and Roger will be a respectable coach. i have no doubts that my players will be able to come together as a team.

Knowing that the media exagerates everything, I think the Neilson/Messier feud may have been overblown. I think teams have the ability to focus on their job better than the media wants to believe. what mainly causes a team fail is the execution of their job vs. their opponent, not somthing that has happened in the past or silly of ice situations.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I’m quite tired. Sorry if this is poorly written…

FORWARDS: The Rangers have incredible talent and creativity on their top two lines, with three Art Ross winners plus four-time goal-scoring leader Pavel Bure. They also have The Tank, Viktor Krutov, who will stand in the Bruins’ crease and harass Brimsek. While the Bruins have more toughness and two-way play due to Messier, Keon and Fleury, it’s impossible to overlook the Rangers’ incredible skill and speed on their top two lines. Both teams feature excellent third lines: Damphousse can score, Prentice is an excellent two-way threat and Nystrom is tough and gritty; Laprade and Lehtinen are outstanding shutdown forwards who play a clean, disciplined game while Corson provides significant toughness and agitation (I’d pay good money to see Corson at LW vs Fleury at RW). The Rangers’ fourth line has more scoring ability while the Bruins’ is tougher. Overall, Boston is a bit tougher and better defensively, but the Rangers’ incredible talent throughout is hard to pass up. Advantage: New York.

DEFENSE: These teams have two dominant top pairs. Coffey gives the Rangers the speed and creativity necessary for them to utilize their transition game while Lowe provides safe, smart plays and toughness. The Bruins’ top pair is much lower-risk but no less effective. Pilote/Green is a tougher pair and is better defensively, though obviously they lack Coffey’s productivity. The Coffey pair suits the Rangers’ wide-open, offensive style while Pilote pair allows the Bruins to play a steadier two-way game.

I prefer the Bruins’ bottom four. Pratt and Gonchar were dominant offensively; they had the speed and talent to start rushes or quarterback a powerplay. Wentworth was also strong offensively and was very smart positionally, while Korab provides strength and toughness. The Rangers have moderately talented blueliners in Schneider and Suter, but they’re hardly all-time greats due to offense alone. Will the lack of truly talented offensive blueliners, outside of Coffey, hurt the Rangers’ ability to utilize their speed and creativity upfront? Ramsey, Greschner Suter provide toughness and solid defensive play. Overall I think that Boston’s steadier, more balanced blueline wins. Advantage: Boston.

GOALIES: I like Belfour, but Boston has a big edge here. Brimsek was named the best or second-best goalie for an incredible eight years in a row, interrupted only by WWII. He was also a three-time finalist for the Hart trophy. That’s an incredible stretch of both dominance and consistency. He was a good playoff performer too (won two Cups, and GAA dropped 7%). Belfour is an average to below-average starter in this draft and, while he’s a good playoff performer, he can’t match Brimsek’s incredible dominance and longevity. Lumley (won one Cup and twice named to the first all-star team) is much better than Joseph, so the Bruins’ goaltending advantage is reduced somewhat. Advantage: Boston.

GRIT: Pretty close overall. I was concerned seeing a team with Bure, Dionne and Crosby, but the Rangers have a lot of balance with Propp, Lehtinen and Corson, among others. Krutov (in his prime, as opposed to during his fairly unsuccessful time in the NHL) appeared to be a very tough, though not overly aggressive, player (sort of like Esposito or Ciccarelli). The bottom six forwards and blueliners are fairly close in terms of toughness. You could make a case either way, but I don’t see a definite advantage for either team.

INTANGIBLES: Raleh said it best. The Bruins have six Conn Smythe winners (including their star defenseman and three of their top six forwards) and a lot of proven playoff performers. As clutch as Lafleur, Coffey and Propp are, they can’t match Boston’s experience throughout their lineup. Dionne’s weak playoff performances, and Crosby’s lack of experience, are marks against the Rangers. Advantage: Boston.

COACHING: Sather probably isn’t the best coach from a tactical/strategic perspective, but he knew when to sit back and let his star players use their unique talent and creativity to generate scoring chances. The Rangers are perfect for Sather: they’re fast, skilled and geared towards offense. Nielson is the opposite: very calculated and strategic, and a good match for Boston’s two-way players. Still, I prefer Sather. In addition to vastly more experience (4 Cup victories vs. 1 finals appearance (though of course their supporting casts had a big role in that)), the Rangers almost appear to be a team designed to be coached by Sather. (I’ll add that while I don’t think the potential for Nielson/Messier conflict is huge, it is another factor in favor of New York). Advantage: New York.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
Well it's a different situation and i dont think it's somthing that cant be worked out.

It couldn't be worked out in REAL LIFE coming off of Messier winning the Hart and Rangers hitting 100 points for the first time in like 8 billion years.

Messier will still do whatever it takes to win and Roger will be a respectable coach. i have no doubts that my players will be able to come together as a team.

Excellent. I have no doubts my team will blow yours out of the water. Good logic, eh?

Knowing that the media exagerates everything, I think the Neilson/Messier feud may have been overblown.

It really, really wasn't. There's an excellent book on the Rangers in 94 that outlines all this out, I'll pull a link later.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
I'm exhausted, having worked like 14-18 hour days the last week. It's been pure hell. My brain is mush. This will not be good or very articulate but I have to get it in before tomorrow. Everyone's already made up their mind, but hell, I've done it this far, why not see it to the end?

Brian Propp - Marcel Dionne - Guy LaFleur
Vladimir Krutov - Sidney Crosby - Pavel Bure
Shayne Corson - Edgar Laprade - Jere Lehtinen
Jan Erixon- Craig Conroy - Kevin Dineen
Steve Vickers

Paul Coffey - Kevin Lowe
Ron Greschner - Gary Suter
Mike Ramsey - Mathieu Schneider
Dave Ellet

Ed Belfour
Harry Lumley
Olaf Kolzig

PP:
Corson-Dionne-Lafleur-Coffey-Suter
Krutov-Crosby-Bure-Greschner-Schnedier

PK:
Erixon-Conroy-Ramsey-Suter
Laprade-Lehtinen-Lowe-Ramsey
Propp-Dionne-Whatever defense didn't just play

A minor substitution, I put Erixon on the 4th line because I don't feel I need Vickers in front of the net this series.

The Rangers plan on matching the Corson-Laprade-Lehtinen line against the Keon line as much as possible, while Propp-Dionne-Lafleur goes strength vs. strength against the Messier line. If he had an achilles heel, Messier always thought he could beat another team's best line, and was wrong a fair amount of the time. Playing on his pride, the Rangers puck-posession style should confuse and annoy Messier into bad penalties (for every Gilmour-like statement, there was 5 dumb minors). The defense will have a regular rotation, as we don't feel the Bruins have a scary/dominant forward line worthy of changing our pairings.

Corson-Laprade-Lehtinen is SUCH a good third line, IMO. Two are superlative defensively, an excellent cornerman, and a good passer centering them. Underrated.

Mike Ramsey is getting seriously underrated.

Nielsen likes to play a trap, but the best way to beat it is with speed. Not every Bure or Lafleur rush up the right side has to succeed, but can Boston turn them all away?

Boston should get little credit for Richards or Gigeuere being Conn Smythe winners considering they'll be scratched.

I think it comes down to Boston lacking a gamebreaker past its top line, which if things go to plan, will be busy chasing down my top line to mount much of a threat. I think the Rangers would win in 6. But after the regular season rankings, I'm kind of resigned.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Messier is a VERY strong presence. Almost too much. Would your excellent leaders still be excellent leaders around him? Think about it for a bit before replying.

Yes they will be excelent on ice leaders and mentors to their linmates, they have played with leaders on their team before. do you think they will just shut their mouths and sit in a corner because they have Messier on their team?....i'll refrain from making a rude remark.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
I think it comes down to Boston lacking a gamebreaker past its top line, which if things go to plan, will be busy chasing down my top line to mount much of a threat. I think the Rangers would win in 6. But after the regular season rankings, I'm kind of resigned.

I think we have enough offensive talent to score by comitee. My Bruins have alot of clutch playoff performers included on all lines, that have made a big differnce to their teams playoff sucess. Think Dillon, Keon, Damohousse, Nystrom, Balfor, Richards. As well i;d like to mention that theoren fleury led the first round in playoff scoring a few times so when he was in the playoffs his presence was felt.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
And let me just say i think it's a crying shame that we are both facing each other in the first round as the 4th and 5th ranked teams. I had us ranked 1-2 in the division and as two of the top 10 teams in the draft. I think others would agree.

Last edited:

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
The puck drops in Madison Square Garden and the Rangers come out flying. Wave after wave of Lafleur and Bure press the Bruins and they seem to be able to enter the zone with ease. Brimsek is turning them away until the 18 minute mark of the first. Marcel Dionne walks around Pilote and feeds Lafleur who came out of nowhere to put the one timer behind Brimsek. The period ends with the Rangers outshooting the Bruins 19-4 and carring the majority of the play.

The second period starts much like the first. The Rangers press and press. Lafleur is looking especially dangerous and Dionne seems to be shaking the poor playoff performer label. They both combine on another goal this time Lafleur circling the net and feeding Dionne in the slot. Next shift out and Crosby and Bure combine for a goal and the New York crowd is going nuts. Boston just doesn't seem prepared and being outplayed badly. 1/2 way through the period on a dump and change Paul Coffey intercepts the dump and wheels it back out with such speed he turns the bad line change into a 2 on nothing. Coffey to Lafleur and back to to Coffey for an easy goal. Brimsek is pulled and enter Curtis Joseph. Joseph holds the fort and the goaltending change seems to help stem the momentum. Dave Keon gets sprung on a nice pass from Babe Pratt and scores on the break away. The Rangers answer soon after with Lafleur scoring on an end to end rush and leave the period with a 5-1 lead.

Guy Lafleur starts the 3rd period out on his first shift with his hat trick goal and 5th point of the night. The hats come raining down and the route is on. Shots at this point are 29 -11 and the Bruins just don't seem to be interested. The Rangers keep their foot on the gas and get another one when Crosby tips in a point shot from Coffey. The game gets nasty with two minutes left when Lafleur gets caught with what appears to be a knee on knee from Ted Green along the boards. As Lafleur is out of control after the hit, Messier who was trying to cut Lafleur off comes in with an extremely hard body check and finishes Lafleur off. Guy Lafleur is lying in a crumpled heap on the ice and the ice is littered from an extremely hostile New York crowd.

A bottle thrown from the crowd strikes Roger Neilson on the bench leaving him bleeding. An incensed Fleury starts to climb the side glass when the worst thing possible happens. The glass partition breaks away leaving no barrier between the crowd and the Bruins. Fluery is in the middle of the crowd throwing punches with Dave Keon desperately trying to retieve Fluery from the crowd. Shayne Corson has ventured over to the Bruins bench looking for revenge and starts throwing punches at Ted Green.

The game is called off with 1:49 left to play. Game 1 goes to the Rangers with a 7-1 victory and order is restored when the Bruins make a hasty retreat to their dressing room. Its reported that the Bruins were ordered to stay in their room intil 2:00 am to avoid further trouble outside the garden.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
And let me just say i think it's a crying shame that we are both facing each other in the first round as the 4th and 5th ranked teams. I had us ranked 1-2 in the division and as two of the top 10 teams in the draft. I think others would agree.

Right here. I had Sather first, you second.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
The puck drops in Madison Square Garden and the Rangers come out flying. Wave after wave of Lafleur and Bure press the Bruins and they seem to be able to enter the zone with ease. Brimsek is turning them away until the 18 minute mark of the first. Marcel Dionne walks around Pilote and feeds Lafleur who came out of nowhere to put the one timer behind Brimsek. The period ends with the Rangers outshooting the Bruins 19-4 and carring the majority of the play.

The second period starts much like the first. The Rangers press and press. Lafleur is looking especially dangerous and Dionne seems to be shaking the poor playoff performer label. They both combine on another goal this time Lafleur circling the net and feeding Dionne in the slot. Next shift out and Crosby and Bure combine for a goal and the New York crowd is going nuts. Boston just doesn't seem prepared and being outplayed badly. 1/2 way through the period on a dump and change Paul Coffey intercepts the dump and wheels it back out with such speed he turns the bad line change into a 2 on nothing. Coffey to Lafleur and back to to Coffey for an easy goal. Brimsek is pulled and enter Curtis Joseph. Joseph holds the fort and the goaltending change seems to help stem the momentum. Dave Keon gets sprung on a nice pass from Babe Pratt and scores on the break away. The Rangers answer soon after with Lafleur scoring on an end to end rush and leave the period with a 5-1 lead.

Guy Lafleur starts the 3rd period out on his first shift with his hat trick goal and 5th point of the night. The hats come raining down and the route is on. Shots at this point are 29 -11 and the Bruins just don't seem to be interested. The Rangers keep their foot on the gas and get another one when Crosby tips in a point shot from Coffey. The game gets nasty with two minutes left when Lafleur gets caught with what appears to be a knee on knee from Ted Green along the boards. As Lafleur is out of control after the hit, Messier who was trying to cut Lafleur off comes in with an extremely hard body check and finishes Lafleur off. Guy Lafleur is lying in a crumpled heap on the ice and the ice is littered from an extremely hostile New York crowd.

A bottle thrown from the crowd strikes Roger Neilson on the bench leaving him bleeding. An incensed Fleury starts to climb the side glass when the worst thing possible happens. The glass partition breaks away leaving no barrier between the crowd and the Bruins. Fluery is in the middle of the crowd throwing punches with Dave Keon desperately trying to retieve Fluery from the crowd. Shayne Corson has ventured over to the Bruins bench looking for revenge and starts throwing punches at Ted Green.

The game is called off with 1:49 left to play. Game 1 goes to the Rangers with a 7-1 victory and order is restored when the Bruins make a hasty retreat to their dressing room. Its reported that the Bruins were ordered to stay in their room intil 2:00 am to avoid further trouble outside the garden.

This was the best writeup ever made. Ever ever ever. I laughed pretty hard.

Fleury is gone for the series if not longer, Keon may be as well, Green and Corson probably get a game each, but Lafleur may be legally dead.

Very interesting to see how things go from here.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver

7-1 against one of the best defensive teams in the draft... hilarious

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Lafleur is out!!! Its reported to be a upper body injury but conscensous is that Lafleur has a torn MCL and a concussion. Theo Fluery has earned a 5 game suspension, 6 if the series goes to seven games. An unprecedented move by the NHL in that they have not allowed any Ranger Fans to within 4 rows of the Bruin bench. New York Police have 10 members stationed behind the bench and the riot squad truck is parked next the CBC broadcasting truck in the bowels of Madison Square Garden.

The puck is dropped to start game 2 and the crowd is screaming at levels never heard before in New York. When Messier opens the scoring two minutes in, the crowd gets even more hostile and starts to litter the ice earning the Rangers a penalty for delay of game. The Bruins capitalize on the powerplay when Dave Keon hammers home a rebound of a point shot from Pilote and are off to a quick 2-0 lead. The rest of the period remains scoreless but features plenty of rough stuff throughout. Pierre Pilote has noticably stepped up his play from a dismal game 1 showing while Marcel Dionne and Bure seemed invisible in the rough first period.

The second period starts with much more of the same. Plenty of scrums after the whistle but some scintillating stops from both Brimsek and Belfour when the teams breakthrough. The Bruins team is definitely a different one then the one who didn't show up for game 1. Bure isn't having his way with Ted Green this game and that point is exclaimed when Bure turns over the puck from a Ted Green body check he sends the puck over to Pilote. Pierre Pilote rushes the puck the entire length of the ice and puts it top corner on Belfour and the Bruins end the period ahead 3-0

The third period opens with some ferocious play but Brimsek and Belfour are up to the task. Both teams trade chance for chance but with no results. Its not until 5 minutes are left that Krutov buries a chance and puts the Rangers on the board. The goal sparks new life into the Rangers and they continue to press. The Bruins are barely hanging on after Brian Propp scores to make it 3-2 with 2 minutes left. Belfour is pulled for the extra attacker and the crowd goes insane when Crosby works a perfect give and go with Krutov and he scores with 22 seconds left to tie the game.

Overtime starts much the same way the third period ended. The Rangers press and press but Brimsek turns away the first 6 shots. The Rangers are taking the play and the Bruins are just hanging on when play is stopped. A smoke bomb has been lobbed towards the Bruins bench but misses and hits the ice. Both teams beat a hasty retreat into their dressing rooms and the period is halted. The sight of 30 riot police on the ice seem to quiet the crowd and order is restored soon. The period starts after a 25 minute delay. The overtime period is short lived however when Keon deflects a harmless looking wrist shot from Babe Pratt and the Bruins leave a much memerable visit to New York with the split and the series tied 1-1

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
Crazy crowd is great, but this is a bit much. Smoke bomb in overtime when the Rangers have all the momentum in the world? Wha???

Perhaps a Bruins plot!

This one is less a hockey series and more One Life to Live.

It'll be a shame if the Rangers lose this series because of their fans.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Crazy crowd is great, but this is a bit much. Smoke bomb in overtime when the Rangers have all the momentum in the world? Wha???/QUOTE]

Its like the Montreal Forum in the 50's that set off the Richard riots, only that time the smoke bomb was thrown at Calrence Campbell. Thats where the idea came from anyways.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Crazy crowd is great, but this is a bit much. Smoke bomb in overtime when the Rangers have all the momentum in the world? Wha???

Perhaps a Bruins plot!

This one is less a hockey series and more One Life to Live.

It'll be a shame if the Rangers lose this series because of their fans.

It's not like Murphy was deciding the ending of this serie. He has to stick with what people thought would win, in how many games and who's the best players on the ice. The rest is creativity ... and I love it!!!

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
The Bruins return to a hero's welcome from the Fleet Center faithful. Colin Campbell is among the crowd for this one and has issued warnings to both sides that the shenanigans won't be tolerated.

Boston comes out hard pumped by the home crowd and scores quickly when Andy Bathgate slams home a rebound from a Rick Martin shot. Brad Richards adds another shortly after and the score is 2-0 before New York even has their first shot on net. Boston keeps the pressure on and fires 9 more shots on Belfour. Kevin Lowe clears the puck and the Boston crowd erupts in a bronx cheer when the puck slides harmlessly to Brimsek for their first shot on net. Cecil Dillon is talking to Lowe when Lowe reacts and chops at Dillons leg hard sending him crumpled to the ice writhing in pain. With Lowe off in the box, the Bruins convert on the powerplay when Keon feeds Messier in the slot to make it 3-0. Kevin Lowe is visibly angry slamming the penalty door closed when he exits and has words with the Bruins bench as he skates by. The period ends with the Bruins in control and outshooting the Rangers 14-2

The second period starts with Boston dumping the puck in and Rick Martin in hot pursuit to the puck with Kevin Lowe. Lowe unleashes a viscous elbow to the head along the boards and the mayhem begins with Martin laying dazed on the ice. Everybody has the gloves dropped and is paired off while Messier rushes in to face off with Lowe, meanwhile both Ted Green and Pierre Pilote have a hold of Sidney Crosby and are roughing him up. Lowe is furious and starts throwing them at Messier and gets the better of him until the linesmen jump in, Lowe breaks away and jumps on Ted Green throwing a couple at the back of Greens head. He then turns his attention back to Messier and tries to get at him but is physically restrained and sent off the ice by both linesman.

When the dust settles Kevin Lowe recieves a game misconduct, Ted Green gets third man in and both have an early night. The game continues with plenty of chippy play from both sides. At the 14 minute mark Nystrom and Corson drop the gloves and go at it with Corson winning the decision. Corson draws an extra two for instigating and the Bruins make them pay with another powerplay goal by Messier. The period ends with Boston up 4-0.

The third period starts and the Rangers strike quick when Coffey sends a beautiful pass to Dionne who breaks in alone and scores on a backhand deke on Brimsek. The Bruins reply with a break away goal of their own from Dave Keon and the rout is on. The teams play out the third without much in the way of intensity. That is until Messier catches Suter along he boards with a cross check to the back. He's heard talking about payback for his buddy Gretz.

The Bruins beat the Rangers with a rout of their own 5-1 and take the series lead 2-1

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Kevin Lowe has earned himself a 1 game suspension. Gary Suter is out with a back injury, leaving New York with 5 defensemen to dress. Cecil Dillon is also out for the Bruins with a deep thigh bruise. Paul Rienhart draws in with Babe Pratt moving to wing on the second line with Keon and Brad Richards. Glen Sather decides to start Olaf Kolzig in net on a hunch.

With a crazy Fleet Center crowd behind them Boston again gets off to a fast start. Babe Pratt shows a deft touch at the net with a toe drag and paitently chips the puck over a sprawling Kolzig. The game turns into an all out offensive attack from both sides with little of the chippy play thats marred the first three games. The play is end for end and both teams get numerous scoring chances. New York cashes in with 2 mins remaining in the period from a goal by Jere Lehtinen who's had a very quiet series to date.

Orland Kurtenbach stakes the Bruins to a 2-1 lead to start the period but New York replies when Bure blazes by Cy Wentworth and turns Brimsek inside out on an amazing deke. The period is much like the first, with hockey being played like it should. The intensity is cranked and the speed beyond amazing. Bure is having a strong game but so is Messier and both are showcasing their speed. The Rangers get the go ahead goal from Coffey who goes end for end but the lead is short lived when Babe Pratt who is looking very comfortable on the wing converts a Keon pass with a one timer and his second goal of the game to tie the game back up 3-3. The period ends with the shots on net 34 for New York and 30 for Boston.

The third period starts and both teams don't let up the pace. Scoring chances are 7 aside 1/2 way through when Messier and Bathgate break out 2 on 1. Messier feeds Bathgate perfectly and he sends one home and the home team are up 4-3. The Bruins don't play defensively trying to protect the lead instead trying for another. Pilote has a glorious chance when he has an open net but fires the puck over the net. Bure breaks free for another breakaway with 42 seconds left but Brimsek comes up huge and the Bruins win 2 at home and head back to New York with a 3-1 series lead. Final shots for the game are 48 for New York and 42 for Boston.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Guy Lafleur skates out to a raucious standing ovation. He was thought to be out for the playoffs but amazingly enough there he is. Standing out on the blueline for the national anthem the Madison Square Garden erupts to a chant of Guy! Guy! Guy! that lasts a full 5 mins before the anthem can start.

Its a scene thats as intimidating as it gets for a visiting team. The New York crowd is absolutely deafening with chants of Guy, Guy and thunderous boos whenever Messier touches the puck. The Bruins do seem intimidated by the crowd as the Rangers carry the play. They open the scoring with a goal by Marcel Dionne and the crowd reaches a fever pitch. It gets even louder however when an assist to Guy Lafleur is announced. The Rangers just keep coming and are dominating the Bruins at every turn. Brimsek is the only Bruin who doesn't seem bothered by the crowd and he keeps Boston in it making 18 stops in the first period alone. The Bruins could only muster 3 shots the other way on Belfour who's back in the pipes for New York.

The second period starts with more domination from New York. They just do not resemble a team thats down 3-1 in the series. They keep coming at Boston and finally Sidney Crosby gets one past Brimsek. The crowd is delerious when a second assist is announced to Guy Lafleur who has been playing some sheltered minutes and only has 7 mins of ice time. The period continues with a majority of the play in Bostons end but they catch a break when a seemingly harmless clearing shot catches a rut in the notorious New York ice and hand cuffs Belfour and bounces into the net. The period ends with New York up 2-1.

The third period starts with Roger Neilson throwing his lines in a blender. Messier, Keon and Damphousse start the period and the move pays dividends. Damphousse scores with assists to Messier and Keon to tie the game up. The Rangers storm back but Brimsek is having the game of his life having stopped 37 of the 39 shots fired his way so far. Belfour at the other end has only faced 12 shots, letting in 2 of them. Guy Lafleur hasn't seen the ice this period but that hasn't slowed down the Rangers. They keep on pressing until the 17:12 mark of the third when Vladmir Krutov taps in a goal mouth scramble. Brimsek gets up and is furious going after the linesmen saying the whistle had been blown. The play goes upstairs for review and after what seems like an eternity its ruled..................

No Goal!!

The third period ends and the two teams head off the ice to prepare for overtime, if the Rangers give up a goal, the seasons over for them.

The overtime starts and the Rangers press to no avail. Brimsek is continuing his strong play. The Bruins get a couple chances of their own but Belfour shuts the door. Momentum has slowly swung over to the Bruins favour and they start to carry the play a bit more. Bob Nystrom breaks in alone and rings one off the post when the rebound bounces to Mathieu Schneider, he forwards a long pass to Craig Conroy who breaks in alone and drives it between Brimsek's legs.

Craig Conroy is the overtime hero as New York staves off elimination.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
The scene switches back to the Fleet Center but the news circles around Ed Belfour. Belfour was arrested hours after game 6 at the Hard Rock Cafe. Belfour was asked to leave in the early morning hours and refused. He faces two counts of assault when he started to throw punches at two bouncers. Witnesses say he was out with Shane Corson but Corson was nowhere to be found when NY police arrived. It appears that Guy Lafleur is still feeling the affects of his injuries and is a game day scratch.

The anthem plays and it appears that Sather has elected to start Olaf Kolzig. Belfour is not dressed for the game. The Bruins faithful cheer madly trying not to be outdone by the throngs in NY. The loud crowd gives the Bruins a boost and they strike quickly. Bathgate feeds Messier and puts one by Kolzig on the first shot he faces. Boston keeps up the pressure swarming New York and three minutes later Pilote hammers home a point shot that goes untouched through a screened Kolzig. Sather motions for Kolzig to come to the bench and after a few words from Sather he turns around and heads back to the net. Sather is keeping him in. With a quick 2-0 lead and the crowd going crazy, Boston has all the momentum. The period ends with the Bruins up 2-0 and having outshot New York 17-6.

Sather throws the lines into a blender. I appears Dionne is in his dog house as Crosby has been moved up to the top line. Dionne hasn't been effective without his linemate Lafluer. Kevin Dineen has been moved up in his place and the chemistry between him and Crosby pays off in spades. Dineen opens the scoring on a nice pass out from the corner by Crosby and their next shift out Dineen repays the favour by setting up Crosby with a near identical game. Ted Green goes after Crosby but Crosby stands up to the old vet giving him a face wash with his glove. The Crosby and Dineen show dominates the rest of the period. They have single handedly turned the momentum in New Yorks favour but they can't solve Brimsek who's had an outstanding the series. New York has caught Boston on the shot clock and now leads for the game 25-22. Crosby has 8 shots of his own.

The third starts and Boston can't seem to solve Crosby who's having the game of his life. When he's covered closely he finds his linemates, cover off his linemates and Crosby creates chances on his own. One bruin who has solved Crosby is Frank Brimsek. Other than a brief period in the second he has been outstanding. He stops Crosby on his 10th shot of the game and the two get into a heated exchange after. The young center however leaves the exchange not very happy, he has drawn a 5 minute major for spearing Brimsek. The Bruins go to work on the powerplay but this time Kolzig steals the show making several circus stops. With 2 seconds left in the penalty Dave Keon burys a rebound from a Messier shot and the Bruins go up 3-2.
Sidney Crosby comes out of the box like a man possesed. With 10 minutes remaining it only seems like a matter of time before Crosby scores. Brimsek however has other ideas and has stopped 13 of Crosbys 14 shots on net. The Rangers press and press with Boston holding on for dear life. With 92 seconds remaining Kolzig scrambles to the bench in favour of the extra attacker. The pressure is shortlived however when Messier gets his 5th goal of the series on an hail mary from his own end and into the empty net.

The Boston Bruins are victorious in the hard faught and memerable series winning the series in game 6.

With 4 goals and 7 assists Dave Keon is awarded the series first star.

With 3 goals and 4 assists in only two games Guy Lafleur is awarded the series second star.

With 5 goals and 5 assists Mark Messier earns the series 3rd star. He seen embracing Roger Neilson just before the two walk off the ice and into the dressing room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad