All-time Draft #7 sign-up

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Well surely, that'd be a ton better than missing out and would definately be fun... but that's up to somebody else to actually want to do that.

I appreciate the suggestions, at least you didn't just say "well too bad for you it's your fault" ;)

I'd be willing to have you on as an asst. and/or backup as it sounds like you were really interested and it will be appealing to me to have a backup drafter in place should anything happen. Plus you can give me Bobby Ryan updates. Deal?

Only thing is I need 51% of ownership just in case your Oil bias rears its head and I need to put that aside for the betterment of the Scouts ;)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
8 might be a bit short, as people do sleep at times, 12 should be solid.
I'm good with 12 too. People have to sleep and work. The last draft was actually the best I've been in so far. People respected other peoples time and made an effort to check the draft often.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
If anyone even thinks about going to 30 teams just so Mullin can participate dont even say it. 28 is already to much!!! It is his fault he was late, better luck next time!

hmmm...I kinda wandered over to this board awhile back because I figured in this section there would be less of this type of thing than on the main boards and because I figured I could contribute some historical hockey knowledge that I've acquired over the years. For the most part I was right as I've enjoyed reading a lot of thoughtful posts by users like God Bless Canada and Trottier among others too numerous to mention. Posts like this however are a quick reminder of how if as one person suggested there should be an age limit of players drafted during the draft perhaps there should be a min. age for drafters themselves? :sarcasm:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm good with 12 too. People have to sleep and work. The last draft was actually the best I've been in so far. People respected other peoples time and made an effort to check the draft often.

It looked like the best one, but due to my work schedule I couldn't participate. I look forward to a long playoff run.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
12 hours seem good to me. But then we shouldn`t cut that deadline in later rounds as there still might be problems accessing a computer every 8 or 6 hours.
@mullin . I saw people already offered you so you can pick, I offer as well a position as my co-GM (might be good, I have a hefty bias towards drafting Euro players and I think that limited my chances last time). Discussions have to take place over PMs though since I rarely use personal messagers. That might be a bit uncomfy.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Last draft we determined divisions based on draft position. If we do the same again, with the same format, here's how it will look:

Division 1
Elvi
reck
VanI
VanCity
HFF
pappy
JFF

Division 2
Lapierre
MXD
Spit
Lebda
Murphy2
kruezer
pawn

Division 3
Nalyd
pnep
Sather
LL
BM
raleh

Division 4
Wisent
HO
arrbez
Speaker
GBC
EagleBelfour
pit

Division 4 is definitely the Group of Death, with two semi-finalists (HO and myself) and two quarter-finalists (Speaker and pit).

We would maintain some of the stronger rivalries (my rivalry with pit and VanI vs. Elvi) while getting that potentially great BM vs. LL rivalry.

If we keep the same divisions as last time, I call dips on arrbez and Nalyd joining my division.

I'm picking No. 20? Not ideal, but I will be able to get one of those players in that second tier of all-time greats. Odds are decent that pit and #66 will miss out, as I found out in the last draft there's a big drop once you get past the mid-20s.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
First let me just say, as whiny as I was last night (almost) all of you have been awesome in accomodating me.

Man I had like 4-5 offers only in a few hours of people willing to let me be a part of their drafting. That's wicked, I really appreciate that... even though I won't get to build my own team specifically, if this means I still get to take part that's great.

VanIslander was the first to offer up a spot on his team so I'm officially accepting his offer as Assitant General Manager of the Las Vegas Thunder.

Lets just consider this me being fired as GM after my team's horrific performance in last draft's playoffs...

Thanks a lot for humouring me guys. If Van changes his mind suddenly I hope the other offers are available still ;)

Van my msn and e-mail is [email protected]

Transported Upstater

Let me just say that as an observer, I always look forward to the All-Time Drafts.

I learn more hockey history from the All-Time Drafts than from the rest of HF combined...by far. It's the biggest reason that the History of Hockey forum is arguably the best section of HF...as long as you remember that Wyne Gretzky's even-strength goals against are too high for him to be a Top-10 player. :D

Oh, and arrbez...GIVE 'EM HELL!!! :handclap: :)

Good luck to everyone.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Wow, #24 pick. :( This is my 3rd draft & my pik # gets worse every time. O'Well. Anyone want to trade a top 10 pick & their second round pick for my #24 and second round pick.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Wow, #24 pick. :( This is my 3rd draft & my pik # gets worse every time. O'Well. Anyone want to trade a top 10 pick & their second round pick for my #24 and second round pick.
Yeah, I know how you feel. I was hoping to crack the top five picks, but I'll take 20. I'll get one of those seven or eight guys that I really want. (Since I won't pick a goalie in the early rounds - any one of the top 20 goalies is a sure-fire star - I think there are 22 quality players before the big drop).

BTW, even though the draft has yet to start, I'll say it now: I'm looking to trade down in the second round from No. 37 overall to 40-50 overall. All I want in return is to move up in the third round, and in a later round.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
4th! :yo:
I am not completely against trading down, so if someone is interested feel free to contact me. Need to see who is still available with my pick.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
So I go up and introduce myself to Dennis Hull last night and call him Mr Hull. He say call me Dennis, Bobby is Mr Hull and Brett is your royal highness.

Wish I could remember most of his jokes last night, I'll try to remember some as my head clears up today.

One good one was, is he keeps hearing about how Paul Henderson thinks that god sent him over the boards to score the goal in 72. Hull thinks about this and decides to ask god himself if this is true.

No way Orr says, he wasn't even on the bench that game.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
28th is a little devastating, as it most likely will be after the dropoff in in the consensus top guys. I guess I'll have to make due. :)

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
So I go up and introduce myself to Dennis Hull last night and call him Mr Hull. He say call me Dennis, Bobby is Mr Hull and Brett is your royal highness.

Wish I could remember most of his jokes last night, I'll try to remember some as my head clears up today.

One good one was, is he keeps hearing about how Paul Henderson thinks that god sent him over the boards to score the goal in 72. Hull thinks about this and decides to ask god himself if this is true.

I hear Dennis is a great speaker. He also wrote a book which is full of great one-liners. The title is "the Third Best Hull (I should have been fourth but they wouldn't let my sister Maxine play)"

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion

The joke I've always heard from Dennis Hull is: "Paul Henderson scored the winning goal in the 1972 Summit Series and became a born-again Christian. And every day I wake up thankful that I didn't score that goal." Even Henderson laughs at that one.

Hull's a hoot. One of hockey's true all-time characters. Right up there with Eddie Shack. You might not be a fan of the Hull's as people, but they all have charisma and wit. Dennis Hull is one of hockey's best storytellers, too.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
7th... Not that bad, and about where I wanted to pick up, seriously.

I am a rookie and I have some "technical" questions about the draft... in both cases, answers seems "obvious" to me, but I just want to be sure... Don't worry, I'm not giving the "true" names.

1st : Let's say I want to draft Mark Streit at some point, that I want for both forward and defense positions... Am I obligated to do two picks, or one is enough? (I guess one is enough)

2nd : Let's say I want to draft Glen Hanlon as a goaltender... If I want him to be my Head Coach, do I need to do so in a separate pick? (alternately, can we have a player coach?)

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
1. Players who play multiple positions are drafted once and listed as a LW/D. When you make your lines though, you will have to pick a dominant position for them.

2. Player coachs are too seperate picks. If I draft Toe Blake as a player, he's still eligable to all teams as a coach, and vice versa.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Don't worry, I'm not giving the "true" names.

Streit would be a decent pick at #7 overall though... ;)

1st : Let's say I want to draft Mark Streit at some point, that I want for both forward and defense positions... Am I obligated to do two picks, or one is enough? (I guess one is enough)

A player can only be drafted once. If he's a multiposition player, you have the option of choosing the role in which you use him. So if you drafted Streit, you'd have to decide (whenever you wanted, not necessarily when you make the pick) about how to use him.

Let's say you drafted Streit as a forward. Nobody else would be able to draft Streit as a player, either as a forward or defensemen.

2nd : Let's say I want to draft Glen Hanlon as a goaltender... If I want him to be my Head Coach, do I need to do so in a separate pick? (alternately, can we have a player coach?)

Somebody can be drafted seperately as player and as a coach. So if you drafted Hanlon as a goalie, anybody in the draft, including you, would be free to pick him as a coach.

You can have a player/coach, but it would require two seperate picks. If you wanted a player to be a coach, you have to draft him first as a player (or coach) and then, afterwards, draft him as a coach (or player).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad