All-Time Draft #4

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
The Tabs of Cambridge select the six-time Vezina winner, including the league's only back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back winner,...

Jacques Plante​

In 1981, Plante was asked what his most satisfying experience in hockey, and he said that it was an exhibition game against the Russian national team in 1965. In the first year of a temporary three-year retirement (a decade after his dominant string of Vezinas), Plante played brilliantly for the Montreal Junior Canadiens, leading the club to a 2-1 upset victory. "During the game I said to myself, 'What am I doing here? I could get slaughtered," Plante chuckled. "It was a game in which I had more pressure than any other game. It wasn't an ordinary game - it was a country against a country, and the Russians were the best team in the world at the time. After the game, (Russian coach Anatoli) Tarasov said, 'Jacques Plante is the best goaltender I've ever seen.'"
http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/plante.html

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
VanIslander said:
The Tabs of Cambridge select the six-time Vezina winner, including the league's only back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back winner,...

Jacques Plante​

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/plante.html
Anybody remember this game? I've seen it several places said to have been in 65, but the HHoF says it was 75. They say it was a warmup to the upcoming games against NHL teams, and even mention several players on the Jr Canadiens, which makes me believe them.

Link

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
BM67 said:
Anybody remember this game? I've seen it several places said to have been in 65, but the HHoF says it was 75. They say it was a warmup to the upcoming games against NHL teams, and even mention several players on the Jr Canadiens, which makes me believe them.

Link
I've only read about it. After your post, I went looking for it on websites of traders and sellers of classic games but found nothing. Sometimes they have those oddball/great moments games. I know that I've seen some footage of it somewhere, I'll have to check out my old hockey video's. I also have some history of Russain hockey books that I can thumb through for info. If I find anything, I'll let you know. Also if you guys can recommend places that I can get any classic games from it would be much appreciated.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
:leafs Select

Ken Dryden

Ken's greatness was a marriage of the physical and mental. He was a good athlete with a 6'4 frame that could move quickly, economicaly and efficently. He always had a chance to make a save.

Won 6 cups in 8 nhl seasons.Ken had an amazing Reg season .758 winning PCT He never loss more then 10 games in a nhl season with a reg season record of 397 GP 258 W 57 L 74T and his playoff record was stellar with 112 GP 80 W 32 L .714 Winning Pct. He won 1 smyth 1 calder 5 Vezina Trophy's

Last edited:

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The New England Whalers solidify what is undoubtably the top three defensemen in the draft and select Mr. Red Kelly - who could also be easily put into a more offensive role as a center as can be viewed in the later stages of his career.

KariyaIsGod*

Well, a solid goaltender is so damn important so the Buffalo Sabres select one of the 5 greatest ever to play, Mr Glenn Hall...

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Maxwell Edison said:
No you don't he has already been selected.
as has the other four of the top 5.... well, there is one more available who arguably is top 5, certainly at his peak.

KariyaIsGod*

OK, well, with the re-pick I am going to go in a different direction and get my team some chemistry. I'll take PAUL COFFEY.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
After the first couple of rounds I thought I would do a little bit of an opinion piece on the first couple rounds of the draft, and the placement of some of the players (too high or too low).

In the first round I can see two steals, the first being Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe slipping to the number five position. This would easily be the biggest steal if it wasn't for the selection from Evil Sather of defenseman Doug Harvey at 13th overall. This was the pick of the round in my opinion as a player who is considered by many sources to be the second best defenseman ever would drop so far.

Now on to the players picked to high in the first round.... there are two names that stick out, and while many will say they were still great players (which they were) I can't help but think that there were better options on the table at the time. First Raymond Bourque, who while he was a great defenseman was in my view drafted a bit to high at number 4, especially when someone of Harvey's caliber was still on the board (I rank Bourque in the Shore range, both great players but I would have them ranked 9-15). the second mistake of the first round would be Kharlamov, who while I love as a player stood a good chance of being around later in the draft. It is really hard to judge this though given the lack of time which we were able to view him. As a late second/third round pick I would say he would be great, but at a first rounder it just seems to high to me.

Also Bossy ahead of Lafleur has me scratching my head.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Some say Kharlamov is Top 3 all time. We tend to be NHL biased around here.
There's at least a case for it.

As for Bourque, he was excellent at every facet of the game, and the greatest d-man I've ever seen in over a quarter century of watching hockey, so... unless I go on stats, rep and era comparisons (MANY old-timers say the game is much faster, tougher, skilled today, some admitting players are much better on average now than fifty years ago.) So, Bourque didn't go too high IF one saw things that way.

And if we're picking players in their prime versus career, Bossy's rifle accurate shot over Lafleur's sweeping majesty might sway me, it's certainly close in my books, though I too would give a nod to my childhood hero (Guy).

My surprise is being able to pick up Plante AFTER Sawchuk! :D It is often said Sawchuk would have been the best ever if Plante hadn't come along and - during the same era, dominate the league so much, capturing five straight Vezinas IN Sawchuk's prime!!

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
With the Vezina at the time you have to remember that it wasn't awarded to the best goaltender as it is today, but rather it was awarded to the team which allowed the fewest number of goals during the regular season (I consider that a team achievement more than an goaltender specific achievment).

That isn't to say that Plante wasn't great, but most hockey historians seem to favour Sawchuk in terms of ranking goaltenders.

As I said, bourque was great, but at the same time I think he could have been available later in the round. This shouldn't be taken as a statement that I don't like Bourque, but from everything i have seen and read I like Howe and Harvey just that much better,

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Leaf Lander said:
my dad always said that sawchuck was the best goaltelnder of all time i seriously believeh that sawchuck should be selected befoore patrick roy in every all time draft Yet he isn't!

It is always hard to say, especially since the equipment changes. Heck the gear in the 80's was huge in comparison to the gear in Sawchuks time. So when we are looking at the difference in great from Roy's career to that of Sawchuk's the difference is that much bigger.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Detroit will take C Bobby Clarke

next pick was a tough choice but we'll go with D Nicklas Lidstrom

Last edited:

KariyaIsGod*

Well, I'm sitting here trying to decide between goaltending, defense and an amazing forward.

I need goaltendign though so even though I'm torn between two goalies, I'll take the great TONY ESPOSITO...

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select one of the greatest defensemen to ever play the game, a 3 time winner of the "Gold Stick" as best European player,

Viacheslav Fetisov

Born on 20th April 1958 in Moscow, Viacheslav (Slava) joined the Central Red Army in 1974-75 and played there for 15 years. During this time he won the national title 14 times, was awarded player of the year three times, nine times Soviet League All-Star, and was also awarded the Pravda Trophy four times as best scoring defenseman in his country. He was Captain for nine years.

A lot of people say that Fetisov, at the peak of his career, was better than Canadian legend Bobby Orr.
- www.russianrocket.de

Fetisov possessed exceptional mobility and instinctively knew when to pinch in from the blueline to create a scoring chance in the offensive zone. As a defenceman in the 1980s he had few rivals, not just at home but worldwide.
- HhoF Bio

“He is the kind of guy you’d like to take the formula, put it in a bottle and let all the younger players drink that formula, because there is no one like himâ€. - Dave Lewis, assistant coach Detroit Red Wings

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Philadelphia Flyers will select the greatest goalie never to play in the NHL, Vladislav Tretiak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->