All this talk about trap

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
ryanghg said:
They did do a great job, however stating that they did not use the trap or make the game boring is ignorant.

I am a fan of Russia, and I am heart-broken.

The trap is just a term. A team has got to play to win. The trap is boring but works. I have a problem both with Finnish fans who take exception to the "boring" part, and with those fans who seem to imply that somehow this result does not count.

Team Russia is good enough to break a trap, but it couldn't get it done today, this is what made the game boring.

kjri

Mar 18, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Zambonidriver² said:
Catching title, isn't it? Anyways, caught your attention. So, while reading this, and dissing a team [insert_a_team_or_nationality_here]. Please spare some time of your life for us unknowing... Do explain me, and propably some more of us:

What is trap?

Then, after you're done with google. Explain, where have you seen trap played in Torino 2006.

After that, tell me, what variations of multiple team tactics have you seen, from teams, even inside a single match.

I'd really apreciate your efforts. So let's hear them.

Trap is a way to play defence. Literally it means that a puck carrier is kind of isolated, attacked and stopped in the mid zone. In most of the ball games the team or a player who controls the midfield, controls the game.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Well the finns have scored most goals in the tournament and have not yet lost a game, so I cannot understand those who complain about their gameplay, only the winners will be remembered.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
I think the third period was sort of boring, but it was the Russians' fault, not the Finns'. They just couldn't break Finland's perfect defence and the 4-0 goal as well as the stupid penalties killed any chance they had. As a Finnish fan I was very pleased with the third period and was happy that there wasn't any more excitement.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Raipe said:
Canada=big fat slow millionares*can i get a cheese burger*

Careful now, those Finnish NHL millionaires aren't doing too shabby in the Olympics.

Hockey_Nut99

Raipe said:
Canada=big fat slow millionares*can i get a cheese burger*

LOL. Where did that come from man? I'm just telling it like it is. I had to shut off the game int he 3rd I couldn't take it.

zzzzzzzzzz

Force

Jan 26, 2006
The original trap required red-line offsides.
You basically crashed the guy that tried to skate through the neutral zone while covering all his pass options. So he was trapped and had to make the puck-carrying play which is obviously difficult.

The removal of the red line made the trap system obsolete and it isn't played by anyone anymore. A pass in the back of the decence to the opposing blue line could easily break it.

The removal of the blue line made the torpedo system (1 libero, 2 midfielders, 2 strikers) all the more effective.

The most effective defensive system nowadys is the 4+1 which means 4 defenders on the blue line and 1 forechecker, the goal is to force a dump and chase play and frustrate the offence by chipping it out time and again. If the offence becomes frustrated and over agressive, there is space for break away passes. Thats the german and swiss system.

Canada has no system they just play classic 3+2.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Hmm, why do I get the impression that all the whining comes from the fans who's team just lost the important game?

Look, you either deliver or you don't. At least most of Canadian fans were classy enough to admit that their team was malfunctional and they got outplayed in their own game.

Some russian fans seem to think that good defensive AND offensive teamplay is the DREADED TRAP that kills hockey just because their bunch of superstar primadonnas can't figure out how to play as a team and WIN.

Hockey is a team game, if you have a problem with that, just go and make yourself feel better watcing the superskill competitions of All-Star Games where russian puckwizards put on a show. When there is a do-or-die game going on, better TEAM wins, not a collection of more talented individuals.

You really have a problem with that?

jaydub*

Raipe said:
yes,i am ashamed to be finn right now.We are just bad cheaters. :sarcasm: No really ,its just hard to some people to see that their"superstars"is out skated .Just simply skate faster and stop *****ing about trap hockey.FINLAND DONT PLAY TRAP HOCKEY.skate,skate,skate.You have to be moron if you dont realize that finland whole "fantastic coaching" is basiclly skate ,hit and work harder than opponent.

and have a goalie playing out of his mind

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
sandels said:
Hmm, why do I get the impression that all the whining comes from the fans who's team just lost the important game?

Look, you either deliver or you don't. At least most of Canadian fans were classy enough to admit that their team was malfunctional and they got outplayed in their own game.

Some russian fans seem to think that good defensive AND offensive teamplay is the DREADED TRAP that kills hockey just because their bunch of superstar primadonnas can't figure out how to play as a team and WIN.

Hockey is a team game, if you have a problem with that, just go and make yourself feel better watcing the superskill competitions of All-Star Games where russian puckwizards put on a show. When there is a do-or-die game going on, better TEAM wins, not a collection of more talented individuals.

You really have a problem with that?

Or you could just admit that your team plays a boring style. They still won fair and square. Its not like it makes their win illegitimate. Just boring.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Bank Shot said:
Or you could just admit that your team plays a boring style. They still won fair and square. Its not like it makes their win illegitimate. Just boring.

It's boring when only one team creates chances to score :highclap: :lol:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Caz said:
It's boring when only one team creates chances to score :highclap: :lol:

Yea. Pretty much. Also 5 guys hanging out in the neutral zone is also boring.

Finland did play a great game, it was just a boring one.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Bank Shot said:
Yea. Pretty much. Also 5 guys hanging out in the neutral zone is also boring.

Finland did play a great game, it was just a boring one.
You know, I could agree with you if your team would not have been outshot, outhustled and outplayed in every possible way. There was no part of the game of hockey that you were better.

If Team Finland would have played just a turtle defense, then I'd agree. But they didn't. It was propably boring from your POV because your big names were non-factors against a better team.

Is that possible?

MeN_Ace2

Dec 22, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
Bank Shot said:
The Sweden-Czech blowout was much more entertaining to watch then the Finland-Russia blowout.

The funny thing is the U.S. commentators were all clearly of the opinion Finland - Russia was much more high-paced and exiting then the Swedish game. :sarcasm:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
sandels said:
You know, I could agree with you if your team would not have been outshot, outhustled and outplayed in every possible way. There was no part of the game of hockey that you were better.

If Team Finland would have played just a turtle defense, then I'd agree. But they didn't. It was propably boring from your POV because your big names were non-factors against a better team.

Is that possible?

:dunno: I dunno. I didn't get to see the Finland-Canada game.
I could have cared less who won today between Finland and Russia, and I found it to be a rather boring game. Finland didn't take any chances after they got the lead, and played a stifling defense.

Sure Finland played better then the Russians. It was still boring though. I know you want to defend your team and all, but most fans that don't have an emotional attachment to team Finland wouldn't call today's game exciting.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
ryanghg said:
I don't have time to make a long post right now, but if you deny that Finland played a heavily defensive game today...I'd suggest you take a look at the game again.

"heavily defensive" and trap are two different things. They are playing variations of the trap to be sure. A look at the focus on 2 Finnish skaters freezing a Russian skating in the neutral zone while two others take away passing and shooting lanes and the last is playing close to the Russian support ultimately forcing a giveaway, and all five skaters "walling" the blueline on any 2 or 3 man transition and then collapsing in front of their goalie is definately "trapping". When you flush a guy to the boards where a pivot can shift from a lane block to a poke check or force him to make a play he didn't want to it's essentially a trap.

MeN_Ace2

Dec 22, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
jaydub said:
and have a goalie playing out of his mind

How many "out of his mind" stops did Niitymaki really make? Finland had all of the puck in this game, and Russia couldn't deal with Finnish forwards (or defensemen) in the corners. Finland won pretty much every single one-on-one battle for the puck.

Russias team looked like bunch of Juniors out there.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Rush5Collapse5 said:
"heavily defensive" and trap are two different things. They are playing variations of the trap to be sure. A look at the focus on 2 Finnish skaters freezing a Russian skating in the neutral zone while two others take away passing and shooting lanes and the last is playing close to the Russian support ultimately forcing a giveaway, and all five skaters "walling" the blueline on any 2 or 3 man transition and then collapsing in front of their goalie is definately "trapping". When you flush a guy to the boards where a pivot can shift from a lane block to a poke check or force him to make a play he didn't want to it's essentially a trap.

[/Thread]

streakie

Dec 8, 2005
Dallas
www.flickr.com
I found the game very exciting today, With all of the hard hits and great play from both teams. Even the Commentators were saying that this was a better game than the other semi-final. They also talked about how much forechecking was going on by both teams. To me it looked like Finland played a complete game, a full 60 mins, they never gave up, they never sat back. In the US game they sat back and almost let that game get tied. In this game they continued to drive the net and drew penalties by the Russians who stopped playing a team game and let frustration set in. If the Russians could have won some face-offs the game might have gone another way, not to mention if they could have scored on that 5 on 3, but they didn't. In regards to a trap, doesn't every team play some sort of trap? Not all traps are bad and are usually used as an excuse by the other team, or the teams fans when they don't win.

Way to go Finland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->