All this talk about trap

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
Catching title, isn't it? Anyways, caught your attention. So, while reading this, and dissing a team [insert_a_team_or_nationality_here]. Please spare some time of your life for us unknowing... Do explain me, and propably some more of us:

What is trap?

Then, after you're done with google. Explain, where have you seen trap played in Torino 2006.

After that, tell me, what variations of multiple team tactics have you seen, from teams, even inside a single match.

I'd really apreciate your efforts. So let's hear them.

Raipe

May 25, 2004
yes,i am ashamed to be finn right now.We are just bad cheaters. :sarcasm: No really ,its just hard to some people to see that their"superstars"is out skated .Just simply skate faster and stop *****ing about trap hockey.FINLAND DONT PLAY TRAP HOCKEY.skate,skate,skate.You have to be moron if you dont realize that finland whole "fantastic coaching" is basiclly skate ,hit and work harder than opponent.

ryanghg

Oct 29, 2005
Montreal
Raipe said:
yes,i am ashamed to be finn right now.We are just bad cheaters. :sarcasm: No really ,its just hard to some people to see that their"superstars"is out skated .Just simply skate faster and stop *****ing about trap hockey.FINLAND DONT PLAY TRAP HOCKEY.skate,skate,skate.You have to be moron if you dont realize that finland whole "fantastic coaching" is basiclly skate ,hit and work harder than opponent.

Well as much as I am happy for the Finns, and they do work hard out there....they are still playing the trap...and making the games pretty dull.

Frozen

Aug 23, 2004
What's happening?! We are losing, my team can't score?!?! Damn that lame trap!!! :rant:

:dunno: :D

Raipe

May 25, 2004
ryanghg said:
Well as much as I am happy for the Finns, and they do work hard out there....they are still playing the trap...and making the games pretty dull.

Ok ,if you say so.... :biglaugh:

JanJ

Nov 8, 2005
Every win is made by trap, and every loss is because the team did not play trap. Simple as that.

Raipe

May 25, 2004
(to kovalev avatar dude)And how you can even play trap trap if you are skating circles around opponents goal.Russkies barely had a puck posession at all.Explain trap in few words (its not only fancy word that you can throw after a loss).Explain it, and watch a game again :propeller

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
ryanghg said:

I was entertained :D

ryanghg

Oct 29, 2005
Montreal
I don't have time to make a long post right now, but if you deny that Finland played a heavily defensive game today...I'd suggest you take a look at the game again.

Yureeka47*

Frozen said:
What's happening?! We are losing, my team can't score?!?! Damn that lame trap!!! :rant:

:dunno: :D

Canadians are angry and disappointed, but I dont think they would call the Russia - Canada game boring.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Every defensive system is beatable. Good passing, hard skating and hitting are excellent keys to opening up the trap.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Freudian said:
Every defensive system is beatable. Good passing, hard skating and hitting are excellent keys to opening up the trap.

And the good 'ol dump and chase, when players are reading to get to the corner and win the puck battles that is.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Its your problem if you find the word "trap" offensive.

The word has an obvious visual connotation - when forwards do not stray far into offensive zone, the d-man stay high up, everybody is close together in the neutral zone, and as soon as a puck-carrying forward come in, you collapse on him as quickly as possible, thereby creating the visual effect of a trap shutting down.

The trap requires disciplined and fast players. When the other team is not good enough to break through, and the trapping team is conservative on offense in order to always be in position to get back into a defensive posture, it makes for a boring game.

Finland played a variation of the trap. Russia could not break through. Thats why it became boring today. It means Finland did a great job.

ryanghg

Oct 29, 2005
Montreal
artilector said:
Its your problem if you find the word "trap" offensive.

The word has an obvious visual connotation - when forwards do not stray far into offensive zone, the d-man stay high up, everybody is close together in the neutral zone, and as soon as a puck-carrying forward come in, you collapse on him as quickly as possible, thereby creating the visual effect of a trap shutting down.

The trap requires disciplined and fast players. When the other team is not good enough to break through, and the trapping team is conservative on offense in order to always be in position to get back into a defensive posture, it makes for a boring game.

Finland played a variation of the trap. Russia could not break through. Thats why it became boring today. It means Finland did a great job.

They did do a great job, however stating that they did not use the trap or make the game boring is ignorant.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
I have to admit that the game got a little boring if you were hoping to see the russians play their dreamhockey, as I was but after a while you really appreciate the hard working finns, how they almost never make a mistake in the defensive zone (I can't rememeber one), how hard it was for Russia to even get close to Nittymäki (sp?).

Who cares what some people whine about, hockey is about winning and that is what Finland did. Great job. :handclap:

Yureeka47*

ryanghg said:
They did do a great job, however stating that they did not use the trap or make the game boring is ignorant.

I agree. If they are part of the big 7 hockey nations, they should win in more entertaining fashion. Any of the other countries could have trapped.. but they didnt.

Trapping games are terrible for the sport and will never help NHL ratings.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
ryanghg said:
I don't have time to make a long post right now, but if you deny that Finland played a heavily defensive game today...I'd suggest you take a look at the game again.

I agree.

The difference to RUS was that we also
played heavily offensive at the same time. :D

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Caz said:
I agree.

The difference to RUS was that we also
played heavily offensive at the same time. :D

:thumbu:

I'm watching the game again , being re-played on CBC :D

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The Sweden-Czech blowout was much more entertaining to watch then the Finland-Russia blowout.

The only fans that the trap is exciting for, are the fans of the team that is using the trap and winning. Fans of the opposing team get infuriated. Casual fans that aren't really cheering for either team are just bored.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
ryanghg said:

I understand your point of view.

It was quite boring from your point of view
as the superfarts of RUS were not given
any chances today. And the whole game
was like a cat-and-mouse play.

FIN being the cat.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Yureeka47 said:
I agree. If they are part of the big 7 hockey nations, they should win in more entertaining fashion. Any of the other countries could have trapped.. but they didnt.

Trapping games are terrible for the sport and will never help NHL ratings.

Sweden, Finland, Czechs, Slovaks, Russians have always trapped in one way or another. You never saw Russia or Czech/Slovaks defend a lead in an important game? I dunno if you're confusing good defensive play with trapping, but it seems like you think the trap is a magical path to winning games. It isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->