All Things AHL Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Kaspick is AHL eligible next season too correct? I've liked what I've heard about his game.
Is he a legitimate center or would he play the wing? If he's a center, then he probably wouldn't have a bad shot in the NHL given how bad this team's depth is. Jokes aside, San Antonio should be a force next year with all of our prospects being on one team.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think this kid has a lot of potential. But will the Blues work him in when the time comes?

I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Guys like him, Musil, Stevens, etc have an up-hill battle, because they’re gonna have to beat out a growing number of guys with 1st round pedigrees for pro spots. I like each of their skill sets and leadership qualities, but to be a regular NHL guy is tough. The question is are their skills more translatable than somebody else in our farm system, because their finesse skill levels are clearly a tier below imo. It might take them awhile to figure out what kind of game they need to play to be effective at the NHL level, and they might not ever get there.

I see a lot of these guys turn corners on junior defenders, including the guys in our top 4, but that simply doesn’t happen very often in the NHL. NHL defenders are too quick, and their sticks are too good, they’ll just check you off to the perimeter. And if you do manage to get around, their teammates sure as heck aren’t going to let you just waltz into the high danger areas, across the slot, and into a clear view of an open net.

The way these guys are going to find success in the pros is by going to the front of the net, parking, and battling like hell to stay there. And also getting really good at killing penalties. These are likely the type of players that are going to get a lot of zone starts in the defensive end, and be expected to get it back to the other side. Go get the puck back. This also means that their skating, passing and IQ needs to be good enough to carry the puck through the neutral zone, and get it across the line cleanly, and establish possession. Can they get pucks back, can they separate players from pucks, can they battle through checking to get the puck back in front of the right goalie, and can they make it hard for that goalie to see shots or punish him when he gives up rebounds. If they can do those things, then there’s a spot for them.

I’m encouraged by what Kaspick, Musil, Stevens, and even Blais are doing, but whether or not they can adjust to the pro game and do it against NHL defenders, well, we need to see them in more training camps and more pro games before we find that out. Time will tell. It isn’t unheard of for these guys to carve out roles (ive posted extensively about that before), but it isn’t easy either.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Guys like him, Musil, Stevens, etc have an up-hill battle, because they’re gonna have to beat out a growing number of guys with 1st round pedigrees for pro spots. I like each of their skill sets and leadership qualities, but to be a regular NHL guy is tough. The question is are their skills more translatable than somebody else in our farm system, because their finesse skill levels are clearly a tier below imo. It might take them awhile to figure out what kind of game they need to play to be effective at the NHL level, and they might not ever get there.

I see a lot of these guys turn corners on junior defenders, including the guys in our top 4, but that simply doesn’t happen very often in the NHL. NHL defenders are too quick, and their sticks are too good, they’ll just check you off to the perimeter. And if you do manage to get around, their teammates sure as heck aren’t going to let you just waltz into the high danger areas, across the slot, and into a clear view of an open net.

The way these guys are going to find success in the pros is by going to the front of the net, parking, and battling like hell to stay there. And also getting really good at killing penalties. These are likely the type of players that are going to get a lot of zone starts in the defensive end, and be expected to get it back to the other side. Go get the puck back. This also means that their skating, passing and IQ needs to be good enough to carry the puck through the neutral zone, and get it across the line cleanly, and establish possession. Can they get pucks back, can they separate players from pucks, can they battle through checking to get the puck back in front of the right goalie, and can they make it hard for that goalie to see shots or punish him when he gives up rebounds. If they can do those things, then there’s a spot for them.

I’m encouraged by what Kaspick, Musil, Stevens, and even Blais are doing, but whether or not they can adjust to the pro game and do it against NHL defenders, well, we need to see them in more training camps and more pro games before we find that out. Time will tell. It isn’t unheard of for these guys to carve out roles (ive posted extensively about that before), but it isn’t easy either.

Nice post. I do wish the Blues would stop locking in contracts to vets for bottom 6 roles and start leaving 1 or 2 spots open for kids. With these guys getting close to maturity, the Blues should leave some room open to find out what we have.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Nice post. I do wish the Blues would stop locking in contracts to vets for bottom 6 roles and start leaving 1 or 2 spots open for kids. With these guys getting close to maturity, the Blues should leave some room open to find out what we have.

Unless you can move those vets for picks instead of letting them walk. Id love to get a 2nd for Berglund and Sobotka

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

So far, this year, have Blais or Thompson looked ready for legit full-time, big-minute duty? How about Barbashev? The answer is clearly no. Those guys still need some time to come along, and that's fine. "Leaving spots open" isn't a good practice. There wasn't a spot left open for Fabbri, he went out and took one over because he was ready.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
So far, this year, have Blais or Thompson looked ready for legit full-time, big-minute duty? How about Barbashev? The answer is clearly no. Those guys still need some time to come along, and that's fine. "Leaving spots open" isn't a good practice. There wasn't a spot left open for Fabbri, he went out and took one over because he was ready.

You know, I really did like Megan. You don't think Megan could of played a bottom 6 this year? Guy had 33 goals last year.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I wonder who is the next defenseman on the organizational depth chart. Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester are out for the year. Butler had a poor game when he filled in a while back.

I'm sure the plan for now is to play Bortuzzo 0n left defense and put Schmaltz in his place on the right side.

I think Lindbohm is injured and out for the season. Who else is there ? Walman?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wonder who is the next defenseman on the organizational depth chart. Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester are out for the year. Butler had a poor game when he filled in a while back.

I'm sure the plan for now is to play Bortuzzo 0n left defense and put Schmaltz in his place on the right side.

I think Lindbohm is injured and out for the season. Who else is there ? Walman?
After Walman and Butler you fall to Sergeev or Vannelli. Yikes!

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
After Walman and Butler you fall to Sergeev or Vannelli. Yikes!
Talking about young players being thrown in action, I remember a game the Blues played in Philadelphia. Paul MacLean was in the line-up for the Blues, and was one his first NHL games, if not the first. Federko hit MacLean with a good pass on the offensive zone at a critical point in the game. MacLean's shot was stopped but he tried to get his own rebound and found himself in the middle of a big scrum.

Dan Kelly said that MacLean had a look on his face that seemed to say "What am I doing here?"

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We are going to have a lot of decent prospects at down there next season, so I'd expect we'll see investment in some decent AHL'ers to put them in a good position.

The defence looks like the weakness just now, as I'd expect Lindbohm to return to Europe over the summer. So that leaves Butler, Walman, Reinke and the likely addition of Mikkola.

Reactions: Jessica

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
We are going to have a lot of decent prospects at down there next season, so I'd expect we'll see investment in some decent AHL'ers to put them in a good position.

The defence looks like the weakness just now, as I'd expect Lindbohm to return to Europe over the summer. So that leaves Butler, Walman, Reinke and the likely addition of Mikkola.

A bunch of the guys that played in the Olympics would be good options.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
This subliminal messaging on HFBoards is actually pretty sweet. Need a Center? There's a Thomas(Bagel) for that! No wonder that every time I'm browsing the site I keep being steered back to Robert Thomas.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
This subliminal messaging on HFBoards is actually pretty sweet. Need a Center? There's a Thomas(Bagel) for that! No wonder that every time I'm browsing the site I keep being steered back to Robert Thomas.

Yeah those freaking ads on my phone has actually stopped me from checking this site when I am not around my PC, I hate when I click something before the ad pops up and It still takes me to the larger ad.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Has there been any rumblings/speculation on who the Blues are looking to bring in to coach in San Antonio next year?

Media has been speculating that Marco Sturm might be looking to coach in NA next season, possibly as an NHL assistant or AHL head coach. Not sure if he’d be a fit stylistically, but I am definitely interested to see who the Blues are looking at for the Rampage next year.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Has there been any rumblings/speculation on who the Blues are looking to bring in to coach in San Antonio next year?

Media has been speculating that Marco Sturm might be looking to coach in NA next season, possibly as an NHL assistant or AHL head coach. Not sure if he’d be a fit stylistically, but I am definitely interested to see who the Blues are looking at for the Rampage next year.
Probably not a popular opinion, but I think it needs to be Berube. He did a great job in Chicago and I think we need to shuffle the deck again on our NHL assistants.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad