All Tampa Bay Lightning TV network

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:
There's no NBA team in Tampa. Maybe they could carry some D-Rays games, they'd almost have to, but they'd be hurting for programming.

There is one in Orlando though

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Maybe they could show minor league games too; Pensacola Ice Pilots, Florida Seals, Jacksonville Barracudas, etc. etc.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Wait wait wait.

"An all-Bolts, all-the-time channel wouldn't feature live games, which are carried on OLN, Sun Sports and, starting in January, NBC. Rather, possible content would include highlights shows, talk shows featuring players and coaches, and taped broadcasts of classic games, Hutt said."

I'm sorry, but if it doesn't even show live games then what is the point. :dunno:

It'd be a good idea if it was live games + all the extra stuff. But if they do it, it's 24/7 extra stuff.

rwilson99

John Vanbiesbrouck said:
Wait wait wait.

"An all-Bolts, all-the-time channel wouldn't feature live games, which are carried on OLN, Sun Sports and, starting in January, NBC. Rather, possible content would include highlights shows, talk shows featuring players and coaches, and taped broadcasts of classic games, Hutt said."

I'm sorry, but if it doesn't even show live games then what is the point. :dunno:

It'd be a good idea if it was live games + all the extra stuff. But if they do it, it's 24/7 extra stuff.

Considering that all Lightning games are already carried on SunSports/FSN, OLN & NBC it makes perfect sense. Also, this network would only be on one cable provider as unique content and not universally available on competing cable providers & sattelite.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Dr Love said:
That they do. I forgot about the Magic. They could carry some Magic games, but what are they going to show during the summer?

Sunsports also owns the rights to the Magic, so count them out. I still think you could work with the Devil Rays to get something done for the summer months. Once August rolls around, you could put some attention on Tampa Bay Buccaneers training camp. I guess at this point, it is turning into more of a sports channel for the entire Tampa Bay area.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
gobolt7 said:
I still think you could work with the Devil Rays to get something done for the summer months.
They'd almost have to show a game a week. Otherwise no one would ever watch the channel during the summer. Not that anyone watches the Rays (and I can't blame them).

Once August rolls around, you could put some attention on Tampa Bay Buccaneers training camp.
You could, but then, like you say...

I guess at this point, it is turning into more of a sports channel for the entire Tampa Bay area.
It wouldn't be a "Tampa Bay Lightning" channel.

It just won't work. There isn't enough programming or demand. If the Lightning stink in 5 years, why are people going to watch?

Castor Troy

Sep 25, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This is kind of like what I'm hoping Vancouver will do eventually. The difference of course is that I'd hope they'd show live games in place of the PPV games we have to get now. The problem as I see it, is that the PPV games are doing very well for the Canucks. This season we have 18 games on PPV. The games are $11 each or (I think) $140 for all 18. Obviously a subscription to the channel wouldn't be able to replace the per-game revenue brought in by PPV. However, if you add in the advertisement revenue, would this be enough to make it worth the team's while? The leafs network follows the model I'd like for the Canucks, does anyone know if the leafs network is profitable for the team? Its nice to see that Tampa Bay is garnering enough interest to even consider this a viable option. Here's to hoping we continue to see increased exposure for our sport! :cheers:

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Castor Troy said:
This is kind of like what I'm hoping Vancouver will do eventually. The difference of course is that I'd hope they'd show live games in place of the PPV games we have to get now. The problem as I see it, is that the PPV games are doing very well for the Canucks. This season we have 18 games on PPV. The games are $11 each or (I think) $140 for all 18. Obviously a subscription to the channel wouldn't be able to replace the per-game revenue brought in by PPV. However, if you add in the advertisement revenue, would this be enough to make it worth the team's while? The leafs network follows the model I'd like for the Canucks, does anyone know if the leafs network is profitable for the team? Its nice to see that Tampa Bay is garnering enough interest to even consider this a viable option. Here's to hoping we continue to see increased exposure for our sport! :cheers:

Wait, so fans in Vancouver have to pay 11 bucks to watch the team on tv locally?

If that's the case, it's almost as bad as the Chicago situation.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Hasbro said:
The bright side with a hockey net is they might fill time with the first round of the college hockey tourney.
That was one of the best things about Altitude. The boatload of college hockey they gave us... we basically got to watch every single game in every region of the country throughout the entire tournament. Serious college hockey marathon.

KH1

ColoradoHockeyFan said:
That was one of the best things about Altitude. The boatload of college hockey they gave us... we basically got to watch every single game in every region of the country throughout the entire tournament. Serious college hockey marathon.
Yet people still insist that hockey will not be able to succeed in the South :shakehead

Transported Upstater

King Henry I said:
Yet people still insist that hockey will not be able to succeed in the South :shakehead

Maybe I'm missing something, but what does NCAA hockey have to do with the South? Other than Alabama-Huntsville (a small school anyways), I cannot think of any NCAA teams in the South.

NCAA hockey is the Midwest, North Central and New England areas only...

EDIT: Forgive me, it's late and I didn't read the full post. I understand your point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
Wait, so fans in Vancouver have to pay 11 bucks to watch the team on tv locally?

If that's the case, it's almost as bad as the Chicago situation.

No, that isn't the situation. Most of the games are on local television (Sportsnet Pacific for the Canucks I believe), however not ALL games are televised. Those 18 games, which are not televised, appear on PPV (At $11/game), and that's what CT was referring to.

Here in Edmonton, it is the same situation. Most of the Oiler games are televised on Sportsnet West, but there are probably around 15 games that aren't televised, and appear on PPV. One of the cool things is that they show these PPV games at some of the big movie theaters, and for a big game, they get a pretty good draw (price of a movie ticket, you get to watch the game on a massive screen and enjoy it with a hundred or so fans).

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
No, that isn't the situation. Most of the games are on local television (Sportsnet Pacific for the Canucks I believe), however not ALL games are televised. Those 18 games, which are not televised, appear on PPV (At $11/game), and that's what CT was referring to.

Here in Edmonton, it is the same situation. Most of the Oiler games are televised on Sportsnet West, but there are probably around 15 games that aren't televised, and appear on PPV. One of the cool things is that they show these PPV games at some of the big movie theaters, and for a big game, they get a pretty good draw (price of a movie ticket, you get to watch the game on a massive screen and enjoy it with a hundred or so fans).
That's mighty expensive for a regular season hockey game.

For example for 24 bucks (so that's slightly more than the cost of two games), you get access to LeafsTV for a full year (that includes 13 NHL games this year, plus all the regular LeafsTV programming - which includes AHL hockey games).

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
What are they going to air, besides 8 hours of paid programming during the overnights?

Despite having a rich history, LeafsTV is absolute trash 90% of the time. Lack of programming is fine, provided you have a bunch of idiots like me who will pay for it anyway.

Transported Upstater

Hasbro said:
I'm still missing your point.

I think he meant that the Altitude network allowed people-

Wait a minute...I misread that the second time as well! All the post originally says is that people who got the Altitude network were able to watch NCAA hockey from all over the country.

BUT COLORADO HAS PLENTY OF HOCKEY ANYWAYS, and much more regional coverage, so national coverage is less "needed" in Colorado (one of my favorite states, btw.) What about areas without much national coverage, such as the rural Southeast?

However, they'd have to rename it. My altitude is around 95 feet above sea level :biglaugh:

CORRY20

Apr 1, 2005
I have Leafs tv and I love it.If you are a fan of a team it is great.Im all for the Lighting doing it.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Dr Love said:
That they do. I forgot about the Magic. They could carry some Magic games, but what are they going to show during the summer?

If they want to stay on the air, the Magic aren't a good choice. :badidea:

Jazz

Tricolore#20 said:

More specifically, the Canucks have every game except for the 17 (18 if you count the last pre-season game vs Edmonton) on free-TV (including Hockey Night in Canada, TSN, and 45 on regional Sportsnet Pacific).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
I'm lost. Can you explain this statement?
Yeah Colorado is hardly "the south" however in college hockey Colorado was the southernmost state until Alabama-Huntsville came along (and the furthest west until the Alaska Schools).

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
And it sure didn't feel like it last night, when I turned on the 10pm news in Denver to see that it was already -13 degrees F outside with a wind chill of -30 F.

Hell, my pipes froze last night. Woke up today with no water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad