Rugby: All rugby discussion

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Scotland have finally got back on track, they've now actually got some decent backs who can run with the ball, after going through a phase where they hardly ever scored any tries.

They had a good Six Nations this year, and France's result against South Africa when Ireland smashed them confirms their recent downward spiral, I think Scotland could realistically be looking at a top 3 finish in the Six Nations in 2018 if Gatland can't get Wales back on track after Howley's dreadful year in charge.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Also what's the verdict on the disallowed Hooper try near the beginning of the England vs Wallabies match? Hooper was clearly in front of the kicker but the argument I saw was that the winger who was onside overtook Hooper and played him onside? I don't know what the rule is anymore, they've changed it so many times over the years.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Scotland have finally got back on track, they've now actually got some decent backs who can run with the ball, after going through a phase where they hardly ever scored any tries.

They had a good Six Nations this year, and France's result against South Africa when Ireland smashed them confirms their recent downward spiral, I think Scotland could realistically be looking at a top 3 finish in the Six Nations in 2018 if Gatland can't get Wales back on track after Howley's dreadful year in charge.

Not a bad time to play us, we've been playing like **** all season and finding ways to win games we don't deserve

Scotland were really solid though, they hung onto the ball really well

Also what's the verdict on the disallowed Hooper try near the beginning of the England vs Wallabies match? Hooper was clearly in front of the kicker but the argument I saw was that the winger who was onside overtook Hooper and played him onside? I don't know what the rule is anymore, they've changed it so many times over the years.

Was Hooper moving? if he doesn't stand still until that other guy puts him onside it's a penalty, if he's within 10-15 meters of the guy catching the ball he has to retreat out of that area as well or it's a penalty

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Just watched the clip again, #13 kicks the ball and Hooper recognises he's offside and puts his arms up in the air and slows down a little bit until the chasing winger who is onside #14 passes him and then he starts running normally again. Nobody caught the ball, it was a grubber kick, #14 for the Wallabies gets there first and tries to kick it forward towards the line but misses as it bounces and then it falls to Hooper who dives on it and slides over the line.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just watched the clip again, #13 kicks the ball and Hooper recognises he's offside and puts his arms up in the air and slows down a little bit until the chasing winger who is onside #14 passes him and then he starts running normally again. Nobody caught the ball, it was a grubber kick, #14 for the Wallabies gets there first and tries to kick it forward towards the line but misses as it bounces and then it falls to Hooper who dives on it and slides over the line.

I just went back and watched it and Hooper kept on running to the ball in an offside position even though he put his hands up

There going to penalize that, he needed to stop until the guy onside passed him then he's fine

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Six Nations starting this weekend.

Wales are absolutely decimated by injuries for at least the opening 2 rounds with key matches against Scotland and England which is extremely worrying. It's going to be another poor year with a 5th place finish ahead of only Italy I am predicting.

I am expecting the title to be between Ireland and England and Scotland may be in with an outside chance. France will struggle again with an inexperienced side in the middle of a rebuild.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wales pounds Scotland, they're better than that, but today shows how good of a player Halfpenny is. My favourite in the world bar-none.

Insane finish to the French/Irish game, Sexton wins it in overtime with a drop kick. Great game even though it was gritty as well, sucks for France who missed a penalty kick in the 78th minute which would have won the game. A lot of mental lapse penalties from the French side still, but I thought Vakatawa was the best player in the game IMHO.

England should dominate Italy.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Canada loses the Americas 2 Rugby World Cup qualifying round to Uruguay and now must win the repechage tournament in November to qualify for the World Cup. Rugby Canada has been in a free fall since 2014, but the board and management maintained the status quo, even after an awful 0-4 performance at England 2015. There was some front office cleaning near the end of last year, but the starting lineups for the Uruguay matches showed that the politics that plagued the squad in 2015 are alive and well in 2018.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I wasn't expecting anything from Wales against England other than a losing bonus point at best, but that TMO decision was absolute robbery.

All the commentators and pundits thought it was a try including former England boss Sir Clive Woodward

Last edited:

Miss Ausguins

Needs moar Vodka
Jul 28, 2010
Straya
Any loss by the dirty Poms is fine with me so long as Eddie Jones’ nose gets put out of joint.

Please don’t let this years Super Rugby season be another Yawn fest where only the NZ teams are good.

Bring on the NRL season and **** the Storm

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Any loss by the dirty Poms is fine with me so long as Eddie Jones’ nose gets put out of joint.

Please don’t let this years Super Rugby season be another Yawn fest where only the NZ teams are good.

Bring on the NRL season and **** the Storm

Hard to go past your Cowboys this year. Finalists last year, then you add JT, Scott and McLean to that.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Some classic England boring rugby here. They MUST get a bonus point win today to have any chance of winning the championship (with another BP win against Ireland in the final game) and they're kicking f***ing penalties instead of going to the corner. Ireland went to the corner against Scotland every time at the start of the game, knowing that by getting a bonus point they would make it all that more difficult for England. Ireland didn't have to do that and could have made sure they got the win, but they played with confidence and went for it, England on the other hand have nothing to lose if they don't take the points from penalties.

It's absolutely toe-curling listening to the England pundits at half time trying to blindly defend this approach saying "they're trying to just focus on winning the game" and being completely understanding of this attitude. If I was an England fan I would be fuming.

Also Jeremy Guscott said he thinks Elliot Daly is the best back in the Northern Hemisphere. Chortle.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Felt weird rooting for the French. Nice job by Ireland winning the championship, now beat the Poms and get that Grand Slam.

As for Scotland, that one break by Jones was magic, too bad he missed the pass.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
At this point the 6 Nations is Ireland's to lose
Sexton was MVP for me this championship, him or Healy who was a beast all tourney long. I'm just surprised how good of a player Sexton has turned into, I thought was fairly average with some good qualities in there in the past, but now he is up there with Halfpenny or Owens.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Let’s gone Warri-

We’re 2-0??

images

I’ll take what we can get at this point.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
God, the media is intolerably hyping the Ireland v England game today like it's a massive game, it isn't. Ireland have already won the championship FFS. It seems England will gain some sort of glorious moral high ground if they win even though it means nothing because they didn't play for the bonus point last week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->