WWE: All Purpose WWE Ratings/Viewership Thread

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Since these discussions get buried in the spoiler thread for some reason, here is the thread to talk about anything and everything when it comes to weekly ratings and viewership numbers.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
I don't understand this notion of "ratings don't matter" for WWE. Eventually, that USA deal will be up and while NBCUniversal will probably hang onto them, why would they have to pay any more than they do now for a product with far fewer viewers than even 2015? Especially in the cord cutting word we live in. Just look at ESPN and their right fees adventures with the NBA, which is a cautionary tale.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand this notion of "ratings don't matter" for WWE. Eventually, that USA deal will be up and while NBCUniversal will probably hang onto them, why would they have to pay any more than they do now for a product with far fewer viewers than even 2015? Especially in the cord cutting word we live in. Just look at ESPN and their right fees adventures with the NBA, which is a cautionary tale.

It's a valid point to make. Vince can come back and say 'without us you have nothing,' which is true, they don't have anything else on that network. If they didn't have WWE, they'd probably go under. Or NBC would do something else. A network won't stay on the air running Chrisley Knows Best and whatever stupid show Dule Hill is on. If you want outside USA, no one would know who either person is. I still don't know who Chrisley is. WWE is way more important to USA than USA is to WWE. If WWE left USA, sure, it would be a bad sign and a sign their rights fees likely went down, but they'd still be wanted elsewhere. It may be ESPN the way things are going there.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
usa has that show Colony with Sawyer from Lost and the women who died in walking dead and played in prison break. Lori Grimes. Don't know their real names.:laugh:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Here are the statistics of how well wwe is doing on Youtube. They are doing exceptionally well.
4th in view rank.
http://vidstatsx.com/youtube-top-10-most-viewed

Also one of the most subscribed channels in the world

http://vidstatsx.com/youtube-top-50-most-subscribed-channels

freevod.png

Last edited:

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i watch both raw and SD all 5h+... but i watch it online only. wouldnt be surprised if many people do that.
so they lose ratings, but people still are still somehow interested in the product.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How much revenue is coming from Youtube? That chart can be as good as it wants to be, but revenue comes from TV vs. Youtube. Basically, I should just research the revenue stream for WWE. Network, tv, gate, etc.

Revenue drives the business.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
How much revenue is coming from Youtube? That chart can be as good as it wants to be, but revenue comes from TV vs. Youtube. Basically, I should just research the revenue stream for WWE. Network, tv, gate, etc.

Revenue drives the business.

Meltzer said not much. It was like $500k for a quarter.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Found net revenues from their last quarter earnings release.

http://corporate.wwe.com/~/media/Files/W/WWE/press-releases/2017/Q1-2017-Earnings-Release-FINAL.pdf

Television still drives revenue, at least from the report. So inevitably the ratings SHOULD matter. While an argument can be made against television across the board, I think it should still be very serious topic that WWE cannot just pass along with stubbornness.

WWE gained 3.3 mil from TV and 6 mill from the network between quarters. As long as they keep growing the network they can catch up to TV revenue.

The growth in revenue from live attendance seem to be mostly from increased ticket prices instead of actual live attendance. A 10% increase in ticket prices last year.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The massive Royal Rumble show messed with all the live event numbers. They're actually down on attendance from last year, but only slightly. It's not a big deal.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
WWE gained 3.3 mil from TV and 6 mill from the network between quarters. As long as they keep growing the network they can catch up to TV revenue.

The growth in revenue from live attendance seem to be mostly from increased ticket prices instead of actual live attendance. A 10% increase in ticket prices last year.

I would say, and I'll warn everyone I'm going off very base reviews of their financial statements, that revenue drives from the network and tv. I like WWE's drive to get modern with not needing PPVs and television to drive their business, but TV doesn't seem replaceable at this time. Ratings should matter, at least a little bit.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
January 2nd Episode: 3.046 million viewers
January 9th Episode: 2.907 million viewers
January 16th Episode: 3.271 million viewers
January 23rd Episode: 3.292 million viewers
January 30th Episode: 3.615 million viewers
February 6th Episode: 3.115 million viewers
February 13th Episode: 3.087 million viewers
February 20th Episode: 3.216 million viewers
February 27th Episode: 3.093 million viewers
March 6th Episode: 3.216 million viewers
March 13th Episode: 3.232 million viewers
March 20th Episode: 3.048 million viewers
March 27th Episode: 3.292 million viewers
April 3rd Episode: 3.767 million viewers
April 10th Episode: 3.429 million viewers
April 17th Episode: 3.346 million viewers
April 24th Episode: 3.007 million viewers
May 1st Episode: 2.87 million viewers
May 8th Episode: 2.696 million viewers
May 15th Episode: 2.751 million viewer
May 22nd Episode: 2.615 million viewers
May 29th Episode: 2.613 million viewers

Oct 18, 2011
In a time where young people are viewing things more and more in a highlight fashion, WWE beats us over the head with way to much content and it has burnt out the audience since WM i just can't watch it. The matches are mostly the same, you can hear vince speak and WWE buzzwords in almost every promo.

The cruiserweights are boring

Cut raw and SmackDown to 90 minutes already.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Vod most watched wwe network shows of last week.
1. Payback
2. Table for 3 with Cornette, Bischoff and Hayes
3. NXT from 5/24
4. NXT Takeover Chicago
5. WrestleMania 33
6. First Look Seth Rollins
7. Extreme Rules 2016
8. WWE 24 Finn Balor
9. The 1993 Memorial Day episode of Raw
10. Wrestlemania 17

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Vod most watched wwe network shows of last week.
1. Payback
2. Table for 3 with Cornette, Bischoff and Hayes
3. NXT from 5/24
4. NXT Takeover Chicago
5. WrestleMania 33
6. First Look Seth Rollins
7. Extreme Rules 2016
8. WWE 24 Finn Balor
9. The 1993 Memorial Day episode of Raw
10. Wrestlemania 17

Don't keep up with the rankings all that often, really surprised Mania 33 is still in the top 10.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Don't keep up with the rankings all that often, really surprised Mania 33 is still in the top 10.
I expect 'Mania is a show that a lot of people will watch when they first sign up, so it makes sense for it to show up.

But these lists are really mostly meaningless as we don't know who is actually watching what. There are going to be distinct groups of people with significantly different viewing habits and desires who can all be served by the Network.

Like we know there is a large group who only ever watch the current PPV show, then don't login again until the next one. WWE have reported that themselves. And we know there's a group who watch NXT weekly, as it always shows up on these lists. But after that we really have no idea about anyone's viewing habits, so it's hard to draw real conclusions from the list.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
I expect 'Mania is a show that a lot of people will watch when they first sign up, so it makes sense for it to show up.

But these lists are really mostly meaningless as we don't know who is actually watching what. There are going to be distinct groups of people with significantly different viewing habits and desires who can all be served by the Network.

Like we know there is a large group who only ever watch the current PPV show, then don't login again until the next one. WWE have reported that themselves. And we know there's a group who watch NXT weekly, as it always shows up on these lists. But after that we really have no idea about anyone's viewing habits, so it's hard to draw real conclusions from the list.
True, for myself if I'm not watching NXT/205 then it's something fairly old. For instance the Bruno Sammartino collection is up tomorrow

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
True, for myself if I'm not watching NXT/205 then it's something fairly old. For instance the Bruno Sammartino collection is up tomorrow

Speaking of Bruno.

1. Extreme Rules
2. Extreme Rules post-show
3. Extreme Rules pre-show
4. Table for 3 with Bruno Sammartino, Ric Flair and Randy Orton
5. Table for 3 with Eric Bischoff, Michael Hayes and Jim Cornette
6. Music Power 10 Orlando (a show about the ring entrances at WrestleMania)
7. NXT from 5/31
8. Backlash 2017
9. WrestleMania 2017
10. WWE 24 Finn Balor

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mania is probably people re-watching the Hardys' entrance and Undertaker's last match.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Mania is just Mania. The casuals will watch it no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad