Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Nadal takes the first set 6-4.

Denis handled himself pretty well but just couldn't get anything going on the Nadal serve.

I expected Nadal to win in 2 and I'm sticking with that. But good showing so far for Denis.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Good to see Denis is putting up a fight anyway.

I didn't catch Halep's clobbering of Osaka yesterday, 1 and love. Since her win in Indian Wells and her subsequent defeat of Serena in Miami, Naomi seems to have fallen off the bike hard. Difficult to believe as she had really looked like she had turned an important corner--her confidence must be as fragile as a Dresden tea cup.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Forget the forceful winners, Nadal is a machine for the creation of unforced errors. Players try to do more than they are capable of against him because, really, what other choice do they have. Denis acquitted himself just fine against Rafa, but I don't know if you can even call that a learning experience. A learning experience in relationship to what?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sascha 5 and 6 (13-11) over Edmund. The breaker was both exciting and awful, a choke-fest extraordinare from both players, though mostly Zverev who required 8 match points before he could finally put his opponent to rest.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The ongoing soap opera that is Novak Djokovic's tennis career continues today against a very tough cookie on clay, Albert Ramos-Vinolas.

Nole looking all neat and tidy at the moment, 3-love. Good impersonation of his former self so far...in fact, he is looking brilliant, putting on a drop shot clinic in the sixth game, 5-1....wins it with a winner, 6-1.

Nole was cruising when I left, up a break at 4-2.....(Later: He couldn't serve it out, but immediately broke back and then did end the match, 7-5. A very, very impressive performance, one that I am sure his camp is exceedingly happy with.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sets up an interesting matchup between Djokovic/Nishikori tomorrow. Both trying to find form.

And of course the ever fun Nadal/Fognini. Fog on home court should be up for the occasion.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
What a first set. Never in doubt Fognini would be up for this. Fog takes the first set 6-4.

Italian crowd loving it :laugh:

Quick second set with Nadal making quick work 6-1.

Fognini to serve first in the 3rd.

3rd set very much the same as the 2nd. Fognini just couldn't match the level he had in the 1st.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Man, Kontaveit is on some roll. She bounces Wozniacki unceremoniously 3 and 1 to reach the semis.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Big match for Nole--can he keep up the progress he seems to be making?

Loses nine minute opening service game to Kei--looks like it is going to be an uphill battle....Kei wins it 6-2 for the simplest reason in the world. He was just the better player, returning serve especially well and dominating most of the longer rallies.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
FAA looks awful in a dispirited first set loss to Sousa. Where is Felix's head sometimes, I wonder?

3 and 1, about as dismal a performance as you can get and not outright tank.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole domninates set two, 6-1, which isn't that surprising as he was playing decently in the first set, just not as well as Nishikori. It was good to see Nole respond like that. I would love to get the old model, or something closely approximating it anyway, back on court.

Even in the deciding set as the two trade breaks, 3-2 Nole to serve. Wish I could see the end of this match as it has been very entertaining. It looks like we might get both of these guys back.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic takes the 3rd and we get Djokovic/Nadal SF.

Should be fun.
Marian Vajda probably couldn't be happier. Not that Nole is likely to beat Nadal tomorrow, but that this is the perfect timing for a test such as this before Roland Garros.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Very even, well played, hard fought set with lots of long, intense rallies which Svitolina won 6-4. She was just a tad more consistent than Kontaveit on big points.

2nd set: The fine play on both sides continues, but Svitolina's strength and experience are just a little more telling, 6-3.

Kontaveit played very well, she just lost to the better player on the day.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Quite the first set between Nadal/Djokovic. Vintage stuff. Nadal takes a very close set in a very competitive TB.

I do wonder if Djokovic can maintain this level given his lack of matches. Wouldn't shock me if Nadal rolls from here.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Off to a Jays game, so I won't see the rest. Felt very good seeing that level of play, though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think it is important for Rafa to win today so as not to give anybody ideas about his potential vulnerability going into Roland Garros.

Over/under for Sascha: seven games.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I see propped up on a chair the Manolo Santana stuffed cadaver is on display once again this spring. I wonder how they make his mouth move.

Too soon?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I think it is important for Rafa to win today so as not to give anybody ideas about his potential vulnerability going into Roland Garros.

Over/under for Sascha: seven games.

I'll take the under I think.

Zverev is in most rallies but too many balls coming back.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
All you need to know about the first set so far:

latest

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
6-1 Rafa--in a set that only reinforces my continuing reservations about Sascha's lack of strength, gumption and heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->