Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Already the 3rd Masters title for Zverev. He is also #2 in the race. Curious to see if he can keep this up all year and contend for YE #1.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Already the 3rd Masters title for Zverev. He is also #2 in the race. Curious to see if he can keep this up all year and contend for YE #1.
I don't completely buy him until he starts going deep in Slams. But I do think he is taking steps to improve, not just resting on his laurels.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't completely buy him until he starts going deep in Slams. But I do think he is taking steps to improve, not just resting on his laurels.

Yup, definitely needs to prove himself in slams.

He was hitting the ball so clean this week. Looking forward to seeing if he can make a run at RG.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Yup, definitely needs to prove himself in slams.

He was hitting the ball so clean this week. Looking forward to seeing if he can make a run at RG.

He's so young, that it seems like it's only a matter of time before he comes through on some slams,and that if he breaks out once, it will be a monkey off his back.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He's so young, that it seems like it's only a matter of time before he comes through on some slams,and that if he breaks out once, it will be a monkey off his back.

Definitely seems like a matter of when and not if he becomes the world #1 at some point.

Maybe not this year with Federer/Nadal still up there but he is the most likely right now to be next in line.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He's not that young to be a GS champion, though. Becker, Wilander, Borg, Nadal, Sampras, Edberg, Hewitt, McEnroe, Djokovic, Safin and others have won a GS before their 21st birthday.

I think long-match stamina is still a gigantic issue with Sascha. He has a lot to prove in terms of toughness and endurance. At this point, I don't see him as a slam dunk #1 at all. Possibility, yes; certainty, no.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Interesting tournament for Rafa. Will he bounce right back or is he wearing down a little as the season progresses? Back to back 1000s can't be easy on the legs/thighs/knees either.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
After a forgettable first set against Berdych, Shapovalov got his game under control and just finished out an entertaining match in a 3rd set TB.

Some say "real" clay here, so nice win.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wow!! Denis, came back from the dead after a first set walloping, and pulled it out in three sets over Berdych. Can't say I saw that one coming.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
And with this win, Denis jumps over Raonic in the live rankings to become the Canadian #1.

The tricky Haase next. Never know what you'll get from him.

Reactions: discostu

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
And with this win, Denis jumps over Raonic in the live rankings to become the Canadian #1.

Haase is tricky like a blind squirrel finding an acorn. Usually he just bumps into trees.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Goffin, down a set but up an early break in the second, either doesn't want to do this anymore, or he is fighting off the worst cold of his live. Looks absolutely miserable.

But he muddled through to win the second as Cecchinato's play became erratic and played near perfect tennis in the third to take the match. He did what you expect a Top Ten player to do in that situation, win under pressure when he wasn't feeling his best.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

It's amazing how long a run Raonic has had as the top Canadian. Outside a brief period where Pospisil made a run, it hasn't even been close. Shapovalov getting this high this quickly is pretty remarkable.

He's should be ranked going into RG and Wimbledon, and has no points to defend. A strong run in either and he's poised to make another jump in the rankings.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ostapenko had one of those days where if you are her opponent you better hope you get a second serve and you better hope you put it away because if you don't it's death by howitzer. Zhang loses 2 and 5.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Just saw a video of Pliskova losing it and "attacking" the referee's chair after her loss to Sakkari. Man, she was pissed after that terrible call against her late in the third set when the score was 5-5 and 40-40.
I wonder what the punishment for her will be, because I don't think the WTA will let this go.

This is the video I watched (German commentary):

There are probably other videos out there, but I think they cut it out of the official WTA highlight video.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Denis lets the big fat stupid trout off the hook by butchering the last three points of the second set tie breaker. Now he has to go a third set against Haase who did his patented best to lose in straight sets but to no avail.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just saw a video of Pliskova losing it and "attacking" the referee's chair after her loss to Sakkari. Man, she was pissed after that terrible call against her late in the third set when the score was 5-5 and 40-40.
I wonder what the punishment for her will be, because I don't think the WTA will let this go.

This is the video I watched (German commentary):

There are probably other videos out there, but I think they cut it out of the official WTA highlight video.
Thanks for this. Here's one that works in Canada.
That is the worst call I have seen since last spring when Goffin lost a point he should have won against Nadal at Monte Carlo thanks to an outrageous call from an umpire who I haven't seen since. Same fate should await this ump. WTA should respond, I guess, but no more than a slap on the wrist for Pliskova.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I can't watch any more of this match (Shapo/Dumb f***). The thought of Denis losing to this carbuncle drives me crazy.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Gritty win for Denis and good fight.

I think Nadal gets his revenge for last year next match. Hopefully Denis can keep it close...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kontaveit knocks off Venus (again) to get to the quarters where some great match ups are forming.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Goffin breaks back to get even on serve, 4-3, in the second, having won the first set easily, 6-2. Kind of a cobra/mongoose match to this point....good inning for the cobra, 5-3. Again today, David does not look like his usual serene self--he must be fighting an injury....Del Potro makes a hash of converting the break and is broken again, 5-4...out of the blue, Juan Martin pulls a muscle or something and quickly retires.

Too bad--this was an interesting match, still anybody's to win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad