Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Likely just a new coach, but no one seems to know exactly.

There is always that slim chance of retirement, but that seems unlikely. Maybe he will miss more time from his injury?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A Baker's Dozen Predictions for the New Year, all of them guaranteed to come true:

Four different players will win Grand Slams, none of whom will be Roger Federer

Novak Djokovic will end the year #1 once again

Grigor Dimitrov will remain in the Top Five and may even challenge for #1

Thiem, Zverev and Goffin will all continue to prosper and remain in the Top Ten

Elina Svitolina will end the year #1

Sloane Stephens and Madison Keys will crack the Top Ten

Nick Kyrgios will finally land in the Top Ten

Denis Shapovalov's rise will slow, though by end of the year he should be in the top 25

Jack Sock will win a Grand Slam (after which hell will indeed freeze over)

Milos Raonic will not return to the Top Ten

Hyeon Chung will finish in the Top Twenty (I love his footwork. Seriously)

Andrey Rublev will finish slightly ahead of Chung.

Roger Federer will start musing about retirement.

Serena Williams will play some tournaments, but not enough to get her back to #1.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
EL out for the Australian Open. So weird to see Djokovic at #12 and Murray at #16. Will definitely make for an interesting draw.

Pospisil is the 11th alt, so likely qualifying for him.

crPgvlh.png

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
A Baker's Dozen Predictions for the New Year, all of them guaranteed to come true:

Four different players will win Grand Slams, none of whom will be Roger Federer

Novak Djokovic will end the year #1 once again

Grigor Dimitrov will remain in the Top Five and may even challenge for #1

Thiem, Zverev and Goffin will all continue to prosper and remain in the Top Ten

Elina Svitolina will end the year #1

Sloane Stephens and Madison Keys will crack the Top Ten

Nick Kyrgios will finally land in the Top Ten

Denis Shapovalov's rise will slow, though by end of the year he should be in the top 25

Jack Sock will win a Grand Slam (after which hell will indeed freeze over)

Milos Raonic will not return to the Top Ten

Hyeon Chung will finish in the Top Twenty (I love his footwork. Seriously)

Andrey Rublev will finish slightly ahead of Chung.

Roger Federer will start musing about retirement.

Serena Williams will play some tournaments, but not enough to get her back to #1.

Here's mine;

* Serena Williams will win 2 slams. The Australian Open and Wimbledon. 12 tournament schedule and a year end top 3 ranking.

* Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will both add to their Slam totals. Federer wins Wimbledon. Nadal wins the French.

* Gael Monfils shocks the Universe and wins his first Slam at the Australian Open.

* Simona Halep wins her first Slam at the US Open.

* Both Karolina Pliskova and Jelena Ostapenko will fail to remain in the top 10 year end rankings on the WTA. Neither will reach a Slam semi final.

* Both Djokovic and Murray will return to form and reach at least one Slam final each, though neither will win.

* Victoria Azarenka has an up and down year returning from her custody battle issues but finds her form by the US Open and reaches the Final at Flushing Meadows.

* Del Po vanquishes Sascha Zverev in a classic final at the US Open that is ruined by the idiotic 5th set tie break. The AO, Roland Garros and Wimbledon vow never to repeat the same mistake.

* WTA announces that it will move towards 5 sets in Slams starting in 2020. Serena Williams rejoices at the news.

* Nick Kyrgios announces his retirement from professional tennis.

* Naomi Osaka finishes the season ranked higher than Maria Sharapova.

* My Danes and Wife will scold me repeatedly as I get worked up over watching the Tennis and tell me it's not life and death.

* At least 1 of @kihei's predictions will come true.

Reactions: Evil Speaker

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Lleyton Hewitt making a comeback in doubles at the Aussie Open. I believe it's only for this event.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
10 predictions for 2017, because I'm still awake and have the week off:

In the ATP...

1) Djokovic will win the AO and will regain the #1 ranking before the end of the year
2) Injuries will derail both Federer and Nadal's seasons, however...
3) Federer will win GS #20 at Wimby, defeating Dimitrov in an epic, 5-set final
4) Raonic will return to the Top 10 and win his first Masters title
5) Krygios will end the year in the Top 10 (he's got to mature at some point, right?)
6) Shapovalov's progress will slow, but he will be seeded by the USO and will end the year in the 20-25 range
7) The USO will be won by someone other then the big 4.

And a few for the WTA...

8) Pliskova will win her maiden slam at Wimby
9) Serena will win GS #24 at the USO
10) Bencic will return to the Top 15 by the end of the year

P.S. Didn't predict anything for Bouchard because I don't consider tennis her primary profession anymore, but I assume she'll take a few thousand selfies, many of them flirtatious, and post them on social media.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Tennis back this weekend! Qualifying begins for next week's tournaments!

Tons of injury clouds still remain for many top players. Rumors that Nadal will pull out of Brisbane next week. Niskikori has already pulled out and we'll see about Murray and Raonic.

Pretty much everyone was expected back by the Aussie Open but I don't think that's going to happen.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draw is out for Brisbane and Murray and Raonic are in there. Shapovalov gets Edmund first round.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Ostapenko d. Williams in Abu Dhabi

About what I expected from Serena after a year long layoff. Some rust, serve didn't have the pace it usually does, movement was non-existent. Still hit some great shots and worked her way into the match at points. I mean, taking a set off of a top 10 player is more than I was expecting. Hope to see her at the Australian Open but she proved that pregnancy and child birth hasn't taken a single thing away from her. She just has to get more match fit and work her way back into things.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Things not looking good for Andy Murray...

Andy Murray considering hip surgery as career hangs in the balance

Hip not improving.

“Having played practice sets here in Brisbane with some top players, unfortunately this hasn’t worked yet to get me to the level I would like, so I have to reassess my options. Obviously continuing rehab is one option and giving my hip more time to recover. Surgery is also an option but the chances of a successful outcome are not as high as I would like, which has made this my secondary option, and my hope has been to avoid that. However, this is something I may have to consider, but let’s hope not.”

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Raonic lost his first match back to Alex de Minaur. Didn't get a chance to see the match but sounds like he was rusty, but that de Minaur also played very well, has some really good return games, especially in the 2nd set.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I wonder how Murray and Djokovic will end up at the end of the year. They're already in trouble after long layoffs. Same goes for Raonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad