Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
In the Chengdu Challenger, Yusuke Takahashi of Japan defeated Hiroki (How do you solve a problem like) Moriya, 6-3, 7-5. The interesting point about it was that it was played in front of no one. The usual stationary camera position for Challengers was in use, meaning I got to see only half of the court. Presumably, a couple of coaches were sitting on the other half, but that was still pretty weird. Perhaps tickets in China are too expensive, and it is simply a case that the Chinese literally do not have a yen for tennis. Another odd stat: Moriya went 0 for 16 on his break point attempts, before he finally broke late in the second set.

In China right now and the country is in a heat wave right now. Not surprised to hear this at all.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Leaking break points like a sieve and getting badly outgunned from the baseline, Bouchard falls behind early against Petkovic, 3-1....Petkovic keeps hammering and takes the set, 5-2. She is making Washington look wicked fast this year.

2nd set: Petkovic turns erratic and Bouchard gets s break, 3-2...Petkovic continues to fall apart, 5-2. Weird...gets weirder. Bouchard can't serve it out, 5-4....second time's the charm, though, 6-4

3rd set: Petkovic reverts to first set form and shots again whiz by, 3-love....Bouchard blows 40-love lead, 4-love....and a well-earned bagel. By both players.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Raonic had 6 BPs against Baghdatis but couldn't convert any of them. Won a long rally to go up a mini break in the TB, but then followed with a DF and a poor error to give it up, and give Baghdatis the MB. Raonic takes the tie-break 9-7.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Great to see. With the way she is playing (as well as Abanda) we could very well see a new #1 Canadian woman this year.

With the win she is the first woman born in 2000 to beat a top 20 player.

Great she got a WC into Toronto so now she doesn't have to worry about qualifying.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
All these over 30s are beginning to fall apart, except for Rafa and Roger at the moment. We could see that pair in a lot of finals.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
All these over 30s are beginning to fall apart, except for Rafa and Roger at the moment. We could see that pair in a lot of finals.

Kind of a weird time in Men's tennis right now. Nadal and Federer could probably run roughshod over the field if they choose to do so. But they also need to be careful about how much they play, because their bodies could just as easily fail them.

So that leaves everyone else...we've got the new generation and generation useless to fill the void.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Raonic gets an early break point and converts to take a 3-1 lead in the 1st set. Sock gets the break back right away, back on serve. Sock breaks Raonic again at 5-all and will now serve for the set. Sock takes the set 7-5. Turning point was Raonic sending a ball long on Sock's serve at *4-5 0-30. Raonic won only 2 points after that.

All holds until 4-all, Raonic had one BP but couldn't convert, and then Sock breaks and will now serve for the match. Raonic was very poor at the end of the match spraying errors all over the place.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Bianca lost last night but still a great run for the 17 year old. Onto Toronto next week.

Qualifying will be underway today for Montreal/Toronto. Tons of Canadians with in action.

As for the main draws, Nadal #1 seed and Federer #2. Raonic lands in Rafa's quarter. Pospisil right beside Federer.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Is anyone going to Toronto or Montreal this week?
I'll be going to the women's matches in Toronto on Tuesday and for the morning session of the quarterfinals on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad