Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm seeing some body language from Denis that bothers me. I hope he doesn't follow Genie's path. He needs to focus better.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Looks like Sunday's matches will be quite important. Excited to see Denis in person...hopefully more consistency on Sunday.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Today's doubles match is crucial.

I still think Schnurs chances of winning is better than Shapovalov's is for losing, so it's not completely do or die, but yes, winner of today's match is likely the winner overall.

As long as Pospisil back holds up, I think we have the advantage.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This is the first time I've seen Nestor play in a long time. Age has finally caught up to him.

And then he hits a great shot to tell me to shut the hell up!

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Shapo needs to shorten the backswing a bit.

So if he loses this, Pospisil plays the final match.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What's with the "Give Peace a Chance" stuff? :dunno:

No idea, I wondered if maybe they changed the words and we couldn't make them out.

Good job by Denis in straights. I think the Indian team screwed themselves to some extent by over-reacting to calls and arguing with the umps and also letting the fans get to them.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Canada wins and stays in the world group.

I feel a bit bad for India. This could have been their chance to break through. Having Raonic and Pospisil out in singles could have been their shot, but, to have Shapovalov come out of nowhere probably hurts quite a bit.

Bhambri looks like a talent though, and if they continue their strong doubles program, they could break through next year.

For Canada, if Shapovalov and Felix continue their development, Canada can be very competitive next year.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Shapo has a tendency to be not very patient at times, but I think that'll improve as he matures. It was fun to see him live!

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I feel a bit bad for India. This could have been their chance to break through.

Too much complaining from Mahesh Bhupathi so I don't feel bad for them all.

Bhambri looks like a talent though, and if they continue their strong doubles program, they could break through next year.

What?? No, just no. Hitch with the elbow on his serve, no follow-through with his BH, too little topspin on his inside-out FH, the list of deficiencies just goes on and on. No way he'll ever be more than a journey-man.

For Canada, if Shapovalov and Felix continue their development, Canada can be very competitive next year.

Agreed and I'm even more optimistic long-term; like Canada could be Davis Cup champions one day.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Mladenovic got double bageled by Qiang Wang. #57 Wang's a decent player (only seen her twice, though), but my first thought was that Kristina must have just broken up with Thiem.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Mladenovic has been bad for a while now. Since the French Open she's had basically no results. I figure it's injury related but who knows.

Read some stat where she has lost like 13 sets in a row.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What?? No, just no. Hitch with the elbow on his serve, no follow-through with his BH, too little topspin on his inside-out FH, the list of deficiencies just goes on and on. No way he'll ever be more than a journey-man.
I was TIFFing so I didn't see the match, but I was curious enough to look at Bhambri's game on youtube. He's actually a great goody bag of ticks. I would add to the list a peculiar habit of "curtsying" into some shots, erratic weight transfer on too many shots that he is pulled wide on, and a tendency to shorten his follow-through on both sides under pressure (a machine for the creation of unforced errors). He does have a nice win over Monfils, but basically he is as good as his opponents let him play.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Does anyone know which 250 tournaments are frequently participated by the big names? I know back when Halle was still a 250, Roger was always in it. He has like a lifetime contract to play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad