OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread V (NFL, MLB, etc.)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The first match was incredible tennis, a shame to lose the way they did but a loss was inevitable at that point. I was directly across from the ump courtside when he got smoked, Shap got all of that ball!

I wonder how the Brits managed to get a group of the 100 best seats in the house. Up and down after every point must get tiring.

Football question: Used to follow the Eagles but don't really follow the league much anymore as it seems only a handful of teams similar to the NHL will ever really truly compete, but why didn't they look at the winning play at all in review? It looked like it was likely in but boy did it look close, also why do patriots fans act so hard done by all the time...they got caught cheating a few times if i remember correctly and only recently were penalized and still were competitive winning another SB....why act like they have been targeted by the league and have had it so tough?

1. All scoring plays are automatically reviewed by the league. No conspiracy.

2. They were clearly targeted by Goodell in his farce or a deflate gate campaign and were very harshly penalized.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Football question: why didn't they look at the winning play at all in review? It looked like it was likely in but boy did it look close,

They did look at it - apparently there was a message on the board in the stadium that the play was under review. All he needed was the nose of the football to break the plane of the goal line before his knee hit, and I think it barely did. It was ruled a TD on the field, so there would have had to have been conclusive evidence to overturn it. In this case, it would have had to have been REALLY conclusive. :laugh:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
1. All scoring plays are automatically reviewed by the league. No conspiracy.

2. They were clearly targeted by Goodell in his farce or a deflate gate campaign and were very harshly penalized.

Guess it is just the angle but I have seen several screenshots today of the knee down with the ball not breaking the goal line.

Thought I read that the balls were actually deflated and Brady kind of got caught lying or something along these lines and was the case not upheld by an independent arb?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Guess it is just the angle but I have seen several screenshots today of the knee down with the ball not breaking the goal line.

Thought I read that the balls were actually deflated and Brady kind of got caught lying or something along these lines and was the case not upheld by an independent arb?

Definitely not going into rehashing all that. Its all documented if you are interested in looking into it.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The problem isn't the game where they ran over the Colts.

The problem is the Ravens got robbed and it's a fairly safe assumption the cheating Patriots were cheating in that game too.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Screenshots can be misleading. One of them was taken the split second after the runner had been pushed back a bit. On another, the circle they allegedly had around "the ball" was actually around the runner's forearm. From what I gather, those who have seen the replay in full are in agreement that it was a TD. Let's put it this way - you sure don't hear any Atlanta players or coaches screaming about it, and if they thought for a second that they had been jobbed you would have heard it loud and clear...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Vikings fan here from WAY back. Then again, with a couple of recent exceptions they've always been mediocre to awful, so no one can accuse me of being a bandwagon fan. (That Blair Walsh 27 yard missed FG in the playoffs in January 2016 was peak Vikings.) Our child beating all world running back, AP, will be elsewhere this year - he'll look weird in another uni...

I actually think that the Raiders will be fine in Vegas. The move that makes less sense is the Chargers to LA. They're going to play in this tiny little stadium for two years, and when they finally move they will be second fiddle to the Rams in the Rams' new barn. Apparently the Chargers' franchise value jumped massively just by moving to LA but if their revenue doesn't go up how does that make sense? Sports economics are voodoo...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Vikings fan here from WAY back. Then again, with a couple of recent exceptions they've always been mediocre to awful, so no one can accuse me of being a bandwagon fan. (That Blair Walsh 27 yard missed FG in the playoffs in January 2016 was peak Vikings.) Our child beating all world running back, AP, will be elsewhere this year - he'll look weird in another uni...

I actually think that the Raiders will be fine in Vegas. The move that makes less sense is the Chargers to LA. They're going to play in this tiny little stadium for two years, and when they finally move they will be second fiddle to the Rams in the Rams' new barn. Apparently the Chargers' franchise value jumped massively just by moving to LA but if their revenue doesn't go up how does that make sense? Sports economics are voodoo...

I read somewhere once upon a time that the television contracts pay for all of the NFL team's payroll per yr & that the ticket sales are "gravy" over & above operating budgets. Not sure how true it is but they are the richest sports league in the world, are they not? I'm pretty sure any & all NFL teams will still do pretty well at the gate.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bumping this thread just for the insane somersault into home plate that Chris Coghlan of the Blue Jays pulled off last night. The rules in MLB have changed in the last few years, and you can no longer simply run over the catcher and hope to dislodge the ball that way. Coghlan got beat by the throw to home, but simply jumped over the stunned catcher who failed to apply the tag, and managed to get his hand on home plate while landing face first. I won't bother linking to it, as anyone who watched Sportsnet or TSN late last night or this morning will have seen it already. You'll also see it on the Plays of the Year at Christmas.

Funniest part? The replay strongly suggests that he missed third base on his way home, but the play at the plate was so spectacular and crazy that the Cardinals never thought to check the replay on it. Had they challenged, he probably would have been called out at third...

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Bumping this thread just for the insane somersault into home plate that Chris Coghlan of the Blue Jays pulled off last night. The rules in MLB have changed in the last few years, and you can no longer simply run over the catcher and hope to dislodge the ball that way. Coghlan got beat by the throw to home, but simply jumped over the stunned catcher who failed to apply the tag, and managed to get his hand on home plate while landing face first. I won't bother linking to it, as anyone who watched Sportsnet or TSN late last night or this morning will have seen it already. You'll also see it on the Plays of the Year at Christmas.

Funniest part? The replay strongly suggests that he missed third base on his way home, but the play at the plate was so spectacular and crazy that the Cardinals never thought to check the replay on it. Had they challenged, he probably would have been called out at third...

That was such a random play. The 3rd base thing has been debunked though - it looked like he missed on the Jays broadcast but there's a pic on reddit from the Cardinals broadcast and he clearly touched.

This also overshadowed the amazing turn of events on the winning run. In the 11th they are out of bats and decide to use Stroman as a pinch hitter, he rips a double down the line. Then Pearce grounds out but the SS throws the ball away so Stroman scores what ends up being the winning run. One of 4 errors by St Louis.

The Jays have obviously had a terrible start and are missing Donaldson and Tulo, but hopefully they can keep chipping away and staying in the mix.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I can't believe the jays are 6-16. What a disaster of a start.

Best stat- Saltalamacchia, who was cut loose today - ends his jays career as the franchise worst all time hitter with >20 AB. 26AB, 1 single, 1 BB, 16K. Also defensively 7/7 bases were stolen against him.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I can't believe the jays are 6-16. What a disaster of a start.

Best stat- Saltalamacchia, who was cut loose today - ends his jays career as the franchise worst all time hitter with >20 AB. 26AB, 1 single, 1 BB, 16K. Also defensively 7/7 bases were stolen against him.

He has a cool name at least. Yeah, the Jays are bad. Really bad. Lost again on Friday night. Could be a long year if they don't turn things around soon.

Out of curiosity which NFL team do you guys cheer for?

Been a Cowboys fan since 1992, but I don't follow the NFL as closely as I used to. I like that I can watch a Cowboys game and not got too nervous during a game or upset if they lose. I'm not like that with the Sens.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Out of curiosity which NFL team do you guys cheer for?

Lived in Boston for a couple years during the Carroll-Bledsoe years and been a Pats fan ever since. Casual fan of the Celtics, but my Beantown fandom never extended to baseball.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Been a Giants fan since before they were cool and beat the Pats twice in the Super Bowl.

They were only cool when Belichick was the defensive coordinator. I am thankful the Giants have never given some of their gifted coordinators chances over the decades (Lombardi, Landry, Belichick). Those 80's NFC battles are deservedly legendary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad