OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread V (NFL, MLB, etc.)

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa is hosting the Davis Cup feb 3-5 the good news is its close to being sold out the bad news Milos and Andy Murray have pulled out.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
3rd day at the Farmers Insurance Open

Tied 18th Adam Hadwin -5 66, 71, 74
Tied 42nd Graham Delaet -2 68, 73, 73
Tied 42nd Mackenzie Hughes -2 70, 70, 74
Tied 52nd Brad Fritsch -1 67, 76, 72
Tied 58th Nick Taylor even 69, 74, 73

LPGA

Brooke Henderson -10 tied for 23rd after 3 rounds

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pats win.

Brady gets his 5th Superbowl.

What a comeback... I thought it was all over at 21-0 Falcons in the first half

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I'm not even a Patriots fan but what a come back. I don't think there's any doubt that Brady is the greatest player in league history. 25 points down at the half and they still come back to win it? Yeah, that's unbelievable

As for the Falcons, biggest chokers in NFL history. Either they come back next year with a vengeance, or they are too psychologically damaged from this loss to ever reach the same level of success again. Look at the Seahawks. They were invincible until they lost in the Super Bowl to the Patriots on that terrible last second call. Since then, they've lost their mojo and haven't been able to replicate that level of dominance they had before that Super Bowl

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
The Falcons remind me of the Sens, lovable losers.

Both teams don't get a lot of national attention

both teams had this one year where they just tore through everyone in the playoffs ( Falcons this year, Ottawa during their cup run)

both teams had players considered the very best at their respective positions (Ryan was the MVP, Julio Jones considered the best WR in the league, the Falcons offense in general was considered the best in the league). Ottawa had the big 3, all three were considered top 5 at their respective positions

Both teams utterly collapsed in the biggest game/series of their lives (Falcons last night, Ottawa got dominated in 5)

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
The Falcons remind me of the Sens, lovable losers.

Both teams don't get a lot of national attention

both teams had this one year where they just tore through everyone in the playoffs ( Falcons this year, Ottawa during their cup run)

both teams had players considered the very best at their respective positions (Ryan was the MVP, Julio Jones considered the best WR in the league, the Falcons offense in general was considered the best in the league). Ottawa had the big 3, all three were considered top 5 at their respective positions

Both teams utterly collapsed in the biggest game/series of their lives (Falcons last night, Ottawa got dominated in 5)

Ottawa losing in 5 the doesn't come anywhere near the collosal meltdown that we witnessed last night.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Ottawa losing in 5 the doesn't come anywhere near the collosal meltdown that we witnessed last night.

they certainly got their teeth kicked in all series long though. With the way they played during the season and the way they ripped through the East in the playoffs, I think anyone would have expected them to make it a 6 or 7 game series

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not even a Patriots fan but what a come back. I don't think there's any doubt that Brady is the greatest player in league history. 25 points down at the half and they still come back to win it? Yeah, that's unbelievable

As for the Falcons, biggest chokers in NFL history. Either they come back next year with a vengeance, or they are too psychologically damaged from this loss to ever reach the same level of success again. Look at the Seahawks. They were invincible until they lost in the Super Bowl to the Patriots on that terrible last second call. Since then, they've lost their mojo and haven't been able to replicate that level of dominance they had before that Super Bowl

I can't believe I'm defending the ****ing Seahawks, but I don't think this is fair. For one, it's been two years – bit of a small sample size. Two, they've still made the playoffs in each of those years and won at least a round. And three, both their losses came against the conference's eventual representative in the Super Bowl.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Wow what a comeback. I was sure it was over at 21-0.

That Edelman catch was something else.

Awesome game to watch.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Ottawa is hosting the Davis Cup feb 3-5 the good news is its close to being sold out the bad news Milos and Andy Murray have pulled out.

Anyone watch this yesterday?

Huge win by Pospisil, played unbelievable tennis.

Then Shapovalov, who for a 17 year old, wasn't actually playing too bad, hit the umpire with a ball right in the eye. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Straight DQ and Canada lost the series 3-2.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I can't believe I'm defending the ****ing Seahawks, but I don't think this is fair. For one, it's been two years – bit of a small sample size. Two, they've still made the playoffs in each of those years and won at least a round. And three, both their losses came against the conference's eventual representative in the Super Bowl.

I agree they are still an elite team but honestly that air of invincibility they had leading up to that SB is gone a little bit. I would watch games during those years and just be amazed and how unbelievably dominant that defence was. It just seemed like they could never lose. Marshawn Lynch was the heart of that team. With him running it the way he did, and the defence playing the way it did, it just seemed the Seahawks could impose their will on other teams and there was nothing that other team could do to stop it.

I still don't think they'll ever get over it at some level. Just this season Richard Sherman absolutely lost it on his coach and defensive coordinator for a poor play call that was similar to that infamous play in the SB..there's talk that Kam Chancellor might eventually look for a big time contract elsewhere as well. If he leaves, that defence takes a big hit and I think it will be a while before they get to the same levels they were when they won a SB

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
they certainly got their teeth kicked in all series long though. With the way they played during the season and the way they ripped through the East in the playoffs, I think anyone would have expected them to make it a 6 or 7 game series

I think you're reaching with this comparison. For one thing, Ottawa never blew a big lead in a game or in the series. Blowing a 28-3 lead in the SuperBowl would be like blowing a 3-0 or 3-1 series lead. Atlanta had it and blew it, as opposed to Ottawa, who never had it in the first place.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

All Atlanta had to do to win the Superbowl was make it a two score game late in the 4th. The field was clearly tilting the Pats way and you pretty much knew every possession they got they would score on. With the Falcons in deep after another awesome Jones catch, all they had to do was keep possession, run it a few times even if you don't gain any yards, and chip in the field goal. But instead, a passing play gets called on 2nd and 11 (horrendous play call), Ryan gets nailed, they eventually get backed up to midfield, and it ends in disaster for Atlanta. The Falcons lost their Superbowl on that 2nd and 11.

If you were cheering for the Falcons, it was like like watching a slow motion car crash for 1.5 hours.

Wow what a comeback. I was sure it was over at 21-0.

That Edelman catch was something else.

Awesome game to watch.

Really? This is the Pats we're talking about. I've seen them come back from big deficits 1000 times, no matter the stage. Brady is the best at marching up the field quickly with the pressure on.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The greatest comeback from the largest deficit & maybe the greatest win in Superbowl history by the greatest quarterback & coach in NFL history. It's hard to argue with the facts & success, congrats to them. :handclap:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone watch this yesterday?

Huge win by Pospisil, played unbelievable tennis.

Then Shapovalov, who for a 17 year old, wasn't actually playing too bad, hit the umpire with a ball right in the eye. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Straight DQ and Canada lost the series 3-2.

The first match was incredible tennis, a shame to lose the way they did but a loss was inevitable at that point. I was directly across from the ump courtside when he got smoked, Shap got all of that ball!

I wonder how the Brits managed to get a group of the 100 best seats in the house. Up and down after every point must get tiring.

Football question: Used to follow the Eagles but don't really follow the league much anymore as it seems only a handful of teams similar to the NHL will ever really truly compete, but why didn't they look at the winning play at all in review? It looked like it was likely in but boy did it look close, also why do patriots fans act so hard done by all the time...they got caught cheating a few times if i remember correctly and only recently were penalized and still were competitive winning another SB....why act like they have been targeted by the league and have had it so tough?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->