OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread IV - EDWIN BAT DROP EDITION (NFL, MLB, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
2 PGA tournaments this week, one in China, No Canadians taking part the other is the Sanderson Farms Championship with 4 Canadians taking part all 4 made the cut with Graham DeLaet tied for 4th place, other Canadian are Nick Taylor t8th, Brad Fritsch t51st, Mackenzie Hughes t68th

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Round 3 of the Sanderson Farms Championship is completed with the 4 Canadians having good rounds
Graham Delaet -4 and is tied for 3rd
Nick Taylor -3 and tied for 11th
Brad Fritsch -4 and tied for 24th
Mackenzie Hughs -2 and tied for 51st

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
What an absolutely frustrating OT for Washington in England. First their kicker gets iced and shanks a 30 yarder, they manage to actually get the ball back at mid field on a fumble, and their first down pass to get into field goal range gets called back on a phantom offensive pass interference call.

Football ties suck.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Wait. Another tie this season? Hasn't there only been like two ties in the last ten years?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What an absolutely frustrating OT for Washington in England. First their kicker gets iced and shanks a 30 yarder, they manage to actually get the ball back at mid field on a fumble, and their first down pass to get into field goal range gets called back on a phantom offensive pass interference call.

Football ties suck.

When I read that I was imagining the Londoners wearing football ties.

homersimpsondoh.png

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Round 4 of the Sanderson Farms Championship is complete and the 4 Canadians all finished in the top 29.
Delaet finished tied for 8th = $121,800
Taylor finished tied for 23rd = $40,320
Hughes finished tied for 26th = $32,340
Fritsch finished tied for 29th = $26,705

Lpga
Brooke Henderson was competing in the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia and finished tied for 63rd

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere

Football ties suck.

It's unbelievable how many times kickers have missed game winning FGs at the end of those games

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It would be good asset management IMO.

A lot of people don't think Stroman is going ot have a successful career because it's easier to adjust to his delivery. He struggled early this season because hew as trying to change his mechanics (ball wasn't coming out high enough - this is the advantage tall pitchers have).

So, if you're looking at it from that lense it would amke sense.

Joey Votto is the same age as Edwin(33) and signed till 2024 at 25 per season.

I think if we can afford that we should offer a shorter term, but that amount of money to Edwin.

Votto would have a lot of success in the AL, just don't like the contract all that much, but if Edwin goes elsewhere it would be an intriguing option.

Yo, we got some baseball goin on tonight eh?

So I'm hearing Joey Batts to Boston.... instant public enemy #1 much?

I'd gladly have Jose sign with Boston if that means we get to keep Edwin. Obviously..

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Yo, we got some baseball goin on tonight eh?

So I'm hearing Joey Batts to Boston.... instant public enemy #1 much?

I'd gladly have Jose sign with Boston if that means we get to keep Edwin. Obviously..

That would be phenomenal.

I'll put up with Upton's AB's in RF to have Edwin at 1B

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't know anything about baseball, but was it really worth it to intentionally walk two batters (and advance runners to second and third)?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I don't know anything about baseball, but was it really worth it to intentionally walk two batters (and advance runners to second and third)?

With 1 out, it's a higher statistical chance to turn a double play to end the inning than to get back to back outs to get out of the inning. Especially with runners on second and third.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
With 1 out, it's a higher statistical chance to turn a double play to end the inning than to get back to back outs to get out of the inning. Especially with runners on second and third.

Ok.

Can't say I am really a fan of seeing that kind of thing in sports though where teams deliberately allow the opposition to create offence in order for better long term strategy. It is like teams conceding a single in the CFL. It just isn't as entertaining as teams trying to actually stop the opposition on every play.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The guy they walked was one of the big bats too, so in theory it was a defensive move.
Of course the guy behind him was an even better bat.
Which is why lineups are set up in a way to try to 'protect' certain guys to avoid pitchers pitching around them.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Watching the replay of that final out, he was smiling as he was fielding it... Would have been so Chicago if an error had happened because of looking ahead

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
That was an amazing baseball game. Probably one of the best sporting events I've seen in a while. Rajai's homer was just....amazing.

Great performances.

I agree. We need to go after Fowler. You could probably keep Pillar though. A defensive combination of Miller, Upton and Fowler would be pretty solid in the OF. Fowler would be a great lead off and Travis could either bat at the 2 or in the middle of the lineup. We need a high average guy in the middle of the lineup (That was supposed to be Pillar, but the dude can't hit)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Ok.

Can't say I am really a fan of seeing that kind of thing in sports though where teams deliberately allow the opposition to create offence in order for better long term strategy. It is like teams conceding a single in the CFL. It just isn't as entertaining as teams trying to actually stop the opposition on every play.

Baseball is built so much on strategy. It is super common to intentionally walk a batter who you're worried will get an extra base hit to face a weaker bat. Sometimes it backfires hilariously, which makes it more fun.

I laughed so hard when the rain delay came. Almost comical, adding to the drama. I love baseball :laugh: That game had almost everything.

Madden is a nut. He overmanaged the crap out of his team. He tried to pull a Francona and pull his cruising pitchers before they got into trouble, but he doesn't have the horses in the pen to play that way. He almost blew it for Chicago, and he'd be wearing the goat horns for sure if the game had ended the other way.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
That was an amazing baseball game. Probably one of the best sporting events I've seen in a while. Rajai's homer was just....amazing.

Great performances.

I agree. We need to go after Fowler. You could probably keep Pillar though. A defensive combination of Miller, Upton and Fowler would be pretty solid in the OF. Fowler would be a great lead off and Travis could either bat at the 2 or in the middle of the lineup. We need a high average guy in the middle of the lineup (That was supposed to be Pillar, but the dude can't hit)

I loved the comments from his teammates after he spanked the 4'2" pitch out - "He's never seen a pitch he didn't like!" Priceless.

littleD

There will be a new Canadian driver in Formula 1 next season.

Williams F1 announced today that Lance Stroll will join the team. Stroll was born in Montreal, is only 18-years old, and will be the first Canadian to race in the series since Jacques Villeneuve left the circuit in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad