OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread IV - EDWIN BAT DROP EDITION (NFL, MLB, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I think I speak for the fan base when I said "Jose, shut your god damn mouth and let your play do the talking"

He has been absolute **** this postseason and no one is shaking in their boots when he is up, plain and simple.

Ugh. Exactly. Watch Merritt shut the Jays down because he's got Bautista's quote written on his glove to fire him up.

The LAST person who should be talking about scaring pitchers is Bautista. The only thing he's accomplished this series is taking the occasional walk and posing like he's hit a homerun every time he pops out to deep left.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Jesus Christ Pillar. First and second, huge chance to get back into the game before Miller comes in, and you K on a ball in the dirt. Batting less than .100 in the postseason :facepalm:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Ugh. Exactly. Watch Merritt shut the Jays down because he's got Bautista's quote written on his glove to fire him up.

The LAST person who should be talking about scaring pitchers is Bautista. The only thing he's accomplished this series is taking the occasional walk and posing like he's hit a homerun every time he pops out to deep left.

Looks like that kid was shaking in his boots.

Bautista is an idiot (sorry to say it but they should not let that guy speak)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Jesus Christ Pillar. First and second, huge chance to get back into the game before Miller comes in, and you K on a ball in the dirt. Batting less than .100 in the postseason :facepalm:

Uggghh, I know. I was yelling at my tv after that. The whole team isn't hitting aside from Donaldson though. I guess EE has been good, but off hand I don't know his stats this post season.

No run support for Estrada in two starts :shakehead

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I hated being right about this.

Well done Jose...

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So over the last two ALCS... What was the average RISP for the Jays? Especially from the core of the order?

Feels like the bats just dried up again.

Though every game but this one I think, it seemed like there was one bad play that turned the game in Cleveland's favour...And every 7th inning we had a prime opportunity and couldn't cash in.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
My main FA target in the off season would be Josh Reddick. Perfect replacement for Bautista. Mashes RHP, younger, an upgrade defensively, and an awesome walk-up song:

I wonder how much money Reddick will want. It would be nice to have a strong left handed bat or two in the lineup. Not sure Sauders and Smoak are the answer.

Anyone know who the big free agents are this off season?

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't worry, Jose is done as a Blue Jay.

Hopefully. I'm worried they throw money at the wrong player.

Take the 14 and 10 you paid Jose and Edwin this year and offer 24 to Edwin.

Use Dickey's cleared up 12 with the other relievers cleared up money and re-build the bullpen.

If they keep Edwin, the lineup next year would be in good shape. Travis, Donaldson, Edwin, Tulo, Martin, Pillar, Upton, Smoak, Carerra/Pompey

That's not as horribly bad as people are making it sound when they say the Jays sold the farm and didn't win. We still have some really nice young pieces and we have our entire pitching rotation back (Stroman-Estrada-Liriano-Sanchez-Happ) and one of the best closers in the league (Osuna).

Could be a hell of a lot worst. The key is rebuilding the bullpen, but we have that issue every year.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Hopefully. I'm worried they throw money at the wrong player.

Take the 14 and 10 you paid Jose and Edwin this year and offer 24 to Edwin.

Use Dickey's cleared up 12 with the other relievers cleared up money and re-build the bullpen.

If they keep Edwin, the lineup next year would be in good shape. Travis, Donaldson, Edwin, Tulo, Martin, Pillar, Upton, Smoak, Carerra/Pompey

That's not as horribly bad as people are making it sound when they say the Jays sold the farm and didn't win. We still have some really nice young pieces and we have our entire pitching rotation back (Stroman-Estrada-Liriano-Sanchez-Happ) and one of the best closers in the league (Osuna).

Could be a hell of a lot worst. The key is rebuilding the bullpen, but we have that issue every year.

I don't think there's anything to worry about there. I've always been more of an Edwin fan, and I think at the beginning of the year I was in the minority on that, but its a tale of two seasons here. Nobody in their right mind would be throwing money at JB before EE after how this season played out.

Even if all the FAs leave the future is bright. At this time last season we were looking at a rotation where the only sure returning players were Stroman and Dickey. This year its the AL leading rotation all staying, plus you add in Liriano late in the season.
The bullpen needs to be rebuilt totally - but starting with Osuna and Biagini is better than nothing. Hopefully Grilli stays too.

For the position players - best case scenario to me is sign EE. Let JB and Saunders walk (or try and sign them but only if the price is right). Then sign a decent bat OF, and maybe look at an upgrade for Barney/Goins who can hit better (becuase Travis is looking a bit injury prone). Big focus definitely is the bullpen.

I'm disappointed in the end of the season but in September i thought they weren't going to make it at all. Taking out Baltimore and Texas was really awesome if you look at it that way

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The outfield decisions are going to be interesting. Even if Bautista and Saunders leave, I believe the Jays still have Pillar, MUJ, Zeke and Pompey. Ideally they still sign a left-handed bat (Reddick! Reddick!). Maybe they send Pompey down again (poor Pompey!) and go with a MUJ/Zeke platoon in left field? I'd rather let MUJ go and sign another big left-handed bat for left field, and start using Zeke as a platoon option for Pillar. Pillar is great defensively, but he's clueless offensively.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Upton is signed through next year, he will be around still IMO. (he makes 16.45 mill next year :amazed: but a lot of it is covered by his pervious team).

Pillar is on the team for run prevention. But I think at some point his lack of offence outweighs that.

Zeke has wheels, is a lefty bat, and is just decent in the field. I would keep him around.

Another thing that's awesome about baseball: once the WS is over, we get right into winter meetings and free agency.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's worth noting that with the 1992 Jays team, a lot of core players like George Bell, Tony Fernandez and Fred McGriff had moved on and Dave Stieb was a non-roster player in the post-season. In other words, this current Jays core could shed both Bautista and EE and still be a very good team, provided that they replace that with a bat like Joey Votto. I like the Jays' chances to stay VERY competitive in 2017...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's worth noting that with the 1992 Jays team, a lot of core players like George Bell, Tony Fernandez and Fred McGriff had moved on and Dave Stieb was a non-roster player in the post-season. In other words, this current Jays core could shed both Bautista and EE and still be a very good team, provided that they replace that with a bat like Joey Votto. I like the Jays' chances to stay VERY competitive in 2017...

Sure, but the 1993 Jays team replaced those players with Paul Molitor, Dave Stewart, Tony Fernandez, and Ricky freaking Henderson.

Just saying. Those 4 guys are:
- one of the most consistent hitters of all time and in the Hall of Fame (Molitor)
- one of the most dominant postseason pitchers of his era (Stewart)
- one of the best shortstops of his era (Fernandez)
- possibly the greatest 5-tools center fielder in MLB history (Henderson).

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

Listening to the Fan590 on the way to work this morning and the gang there was suggesting that a guy like Stroman might be moved for Votto in the off season - nothing but conjecture, but interesting. Would leave the Jays with Sanchez, Happ, Estrada, Liriano, and Dickey (there is a team option there) as the starting 5. They also talked about Dexter Fowler, CF and lead off batter for the Cubs, as a good target in free agency.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Listening to the Fan590 on the way to work this morning and the gang there was suggesting that a guy like Stroman might be moved for Votto in the off season - nothing but conjecture, but interesting. Would leave the Jays with Sanchez, Happ, Estrada, Liriano, and Dickey (there is a team option there) as the starting 5. They also talked about Dexter Fowler, CF and lead off batter for the Cubs, as a good target in free agency.

A good leadoff hitter is one of this teams biggest needs as far as I can tell.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

Where did you see Dickey has an option? Strotrac shows him as a UFA.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/toronto-blue-jays/r.a.-dickey-5288/

Either way, I don't want him back at all. Liriano makes for a fine 5 man rotation.

Completely agree about Fowler or Reddick as replacements. Would allow them to move Travis down the lineup or bat Travis 2nd with JD in the 3rd spot and hopefully Edwin in the clean up.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Where did you see Dickey has an option? Strotrac shows him as a UFA.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/toronto-blue-jays/r.a.-dickey-5288/

Either way, I don't want him back at all. Liriano makes for a fine 5 man rotation.

Completely agree about Fowler or Reddick as replacements. Would allow them to move Travis down the lineup or bat Travis 2nd with JD in the 3rd spot and hopefully Edwin in the clean up.

You are correct - this past season was the option year.

As for having him back, I'd take home for the right price - 200 inning pitchers are hard to find and if he was even remotely close to .500 it would be a decent investment to provide the bullpen some relief. More importantly though would be having a b/u for Martin not named "Thole" - one who could catch Dickey and spot him at other times without costing the Jays offense.

What about the idea of Stoman for Votto? The radio gang was tossing that around and it doesn't seem like an altogether terrible idea.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
You are correct - this past season was the option year.

As for having him back, I'd take home for the right price - 200 inning pitchers are hard to find and if he was even remotely close to .500 it would be a decent investment to provide the bullpen some relief. More importantly though would be having a b/u for Martin not named "Thole" - one who could catch Dickey and spot him at other times without costing the Jays offense.

What about the idea of Stoman for Votto? The radio gang was tossing that around and it doesn't seem like an altogether terrible idea.

It would be good asset management IMO.

A lot of people don't think Stroman is going ot have a successful career because it's easier to adjust to his delivery. He struggled early this season because hew as trying to change his mechanics (ball wasn't coming out high enough - this is the advantage tall pitchers have).

So, if you're looking at it from that lense it would amke sense.

Joey Votto is the same age as Edwin(33) and signed till 2024 at 25 per season.

I think if we can afford that we should offer a shorter term, but that amount of money to Edwin.

Votto would have a lot of success in the AL, just don't like the contract all that much, but if Edwin goes elsewhere it would be an intriguing option.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm not averse to Votto, but I'm not giving up a young asset to take on his salary at his age. Given his contract, Votto has no surplus value (or very little), so for the Reds to get anything back in return they'd have to eat up a massive amount of his salary.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Only 15,000 tickets sold for the Grey Cup and with Toronto and Montreal out that won't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad