All Purpose PK Subban Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
But I can totally imagine scenarios where it would have become a focal point of fan and messageboard dissension. We're lucky/Poile is good so yay, we don't have to think about it. Yet.

2020-2021 will be interesting. Last year for Subban, Forsberg, and Ekholm. Josi, Ellis, Fiala all with new deals. Tolvanen a regular NHLer.

Tempfan99

Apr 16, 2017
Montreal
i still beleive that you cant look like a no1 d-man if they dont play you like a true no1 D-man. since hes in nashville subban have never been used like a real no1. im talking about his ice time and his pp ice time (playing mostly on the second wave). i dont know what happened but the last few games he was used little more (more than josi) and got good results. i hope they will finaly give him a real chance. a 9M d-man chance.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm going to go ahead and disagree. There will be times when Subban will need to shoulder more responsibilities (injuries, illnesses, when he is playing well and others are in a slump), but considering the way the defense was used last season played a giant role in them going to the Stanley Cup Final it's tough to make the argument that Subban should be given the undisputed #1D role every night.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
i still beleive that you cant look like a no1 d-man if they dont play you like a true no1 D-man. since hes in nashville subban have never been used like a real no1. im talking about his ice time and his pp ice time (playing mostly on the second wave). i dont know what happened but the last few games he was used little more (more than josi) and got good results. i hope they will finaly give him a real chance. a 9M d-man chance.
The nice thing with this team is that we don't really NEED to do that. In fact, having 4 guys who could be #1 in some cities takes the burden off everybody. Now personally, I believe Subban can indeed be a 28-min-per-night #1 guy, and I also believe (won't be popular) that even in his recent diminished state he's still (slightly) the best D on this team (better O than Ekholm, better D than Josi). But it's all close enough that it's win-win-win-win for us. And if he slots in on 2nd unit PP or just logs 23 minutes in a night, well, he's going to have more energy when it matters most, and so will the other big guys on D, and it will net benefit the team more than if he was getting that "9M d-man chance".

Reactions: E82

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I love the guy, but we aren't criticizing him just because he makes $9 mil, we're criticizing him because he leads the team in giveaways, averaging more than 1 per game, and isn't playing like a $9mil player.

All puck moving dmen are leading in giveaways. Doughty is too. That's the nature of the game. And imo ultimately it's a problem with the stats and the way people see hockey. A dman trying to get the puck out of zone while creating offense with a pass down the middle and his pass is intercepted. Statistically the result is a giveaway. A skill less dman like Josh Gorges tries to get the puck out of the zone using the board and the play is intercepted at the blue line. Statistically most of the nights the result is no giveaway. The reason? Because it's seen as a solid hockey play made by a defensive player.

The giveaway stats is the most ridiculous stats in the game. Travis Moen was turning the puck over 2-3 times a game and would not get a single giveaway because of his reputation as a solid defensive player and because he was using the board all the time.

Reactions: Peanut

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
All puck moving dmen are leading in giveaways. Doughty is too. That's the nature of the game. And imo ultimately it's a problem with the stats and the way people see hockey. A dman trying to get the puck out of zone while creating offense with a pass down the middle and his pass is intercepted. Statistically the result is a giveaway. A skill less dman like Josh Gorges tries to get the puck out of the zone using the board and the play is intercepted at the blue line. Statistically most of the nights the result is no giveaway. The reason? Because it's seen as a solid hockey play made by a defensive player.

The giveaway stats is the most ridiculous stats in the game. Travis Moen was turning the puck over 2-3 times a game and would not get a single giveaway because of his reputation as a solid defensive player and because he was using the board all the time.

It's about context though, look at the last night's game for legitimate criticism. He turned the puck over trying to pass through the crease instead of safely getting it out by playing it off the boards, that's incredibly frustrating for such a good player. I think his play over the rest of the game made up for it though.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's about context though, look at the last night's game for legitimate criticism. He turned the puck over trying to pass through the crease instead of safely getting it out by playing it off the boards, that's incredibly frustrating for such a good player. I think his play over the rest of the game made up for it though.

True but he also made an awesome pass on Watson's first goal. I think you kind of got spoiled by Josi and Subban. That kind of passes there might be 20 dmen in the league able to do it on a regular basis at ES. You got two of them. We got none in Montreal.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
True but he also made an awesome pass on Watson's first goal. I think you kind of got spoiled by Josi and Subban. That kind of passes there might be 20 dmen in the league able to do it on a regular basis at ES. You got two of them. We got none in Montreal.

Exactly, I'm not hating on him it's just saying that's why we can be frustrated by him some times, he'll make a killer play followed by a dud. I know everyone can't play great all the time, but his errors seem so easy to fix.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Exactly, I'm not hating on him it's just saying that's why we can be frustrated by him some times, he'll make a killer play followed by a dud. I know everyone can't play great all the time, but his errors seem so easy to fix.

I think he's been much better in the last 4-6 weeks or so though, right? We don't see as many "frustrating" mistakes now, compared to earlier in the season. I think this has to do with his summer training. He said he couldn't train like he used to last summer because of his lingering injury, but he said he felt 100% now (that was back in November). So it probably took him a little while to get his cardio and fitness up to where they should be, and find his groove. Now that he found his game, he seems much more solid in every aspect of the game.

Last night's turnover looked really bad, but it was mostly bad luck, Kempe didn't even touch the puck, Subban just fanned on it.

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
People criticize him for risky plays but the Kempe goal was a pure accident. He probably makes that pass 99/100 times.
Last night a few minutes before that he flat out got walked on our power play. They almost had a shorthanded goal as a result.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Last night a few minutes before that he flat out got walked on our power play. They almost had a shorthanded goal as a result.

Not sure I would blame Subban on that play. RyJo tried to pass the puck to him but Kopitar touched the puck before it got to Subban, and it caught Subban off guard. He wasn't sure if he should take a penalty on Kopitar or not, and he just kinda did nothing. Subban looked bad but it happened so quick, I would mostly put the blame on RyJo. Here's the play (at around 3:58):

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Congrats to PK! That's awesome.

I love it that the Montreal fans (who previously would always assure 4 or 5 Habs in starting roles when the voters picked all the starters) are obviously still voting for Subban.. Im sure it pisses off the Hawks fans who used to stack the western conference teams in the past

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think he's been much better in the last 4-6 weeks or so though, right? We don't see as many "frustrating" mistakes now, compared to earlier in the season. I think this has to do with his summer training. He said he couldn't train like he used to last summer because of his lingering injury, but he said he felt 100% now (that was back in November). So it probably took him a little while to get his cardio and fitness up to where they should be, and find his groove. Now that he found his game, he seems much more solid in every aspect of the game.

Last night's turnover looked really bad, but it was mostly bad luck, Kempe didn't even touch the puck, Subban just fanned on it.

For sure, he's certainly turned on the jets the last little while.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think we'll see more consistent play from PK once we get solidified as a top 4 now that Ellis is back. It may take a bit with the bye week coming in a few days but it'll be alright. The thing that's a bit odd to me is since his time in Nashville began, people have been waiting for the supposedly "offensive-minded" PK Subban they saw and heard about in Montreal. He comes here and does pretty well offensively but finds a role as a steady defenseman on a stacked defense, who doesn't have to do too much, just be solid, and people were a bit skeptical about the offensive prowess they'd heard about. Now, he's been a bit more like the PK of old, taking risks with the puck and while there are a few gaffes that come with it, his point production has certainly been good but yet some people still won't take the good with the bad. I laughed at all the polarizing opinions about him from Habs fans when he first came here but now I see it first hand and quite honestly I don't understand what it is that makes it that way. He's an excellent player but it seems that a lot of people just can't leave it at that.

(I'm not talking specifically about anyone here, I'm just pointing out things I read online or on social media or from friends and fans in general)

Reactions: E82 and RickP

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It still feels to me that some people on here are acting like he has been terrible this year, or at the very least mediocre. I don't agree with that at all. I think he has had a VERY good year, especially when you consider who he has been paired up with. He is on pace for 18 goals and 44 assists which would both be career highs for him.

Last night is a pretty good example- yes, he did commit a horrible turnover that led to a goal. That is an awful play no two ways about it. And it got a lot of talk. But the rest of the game? He was fantastic. Despite that play, he was awarded the 3rd star of the game with good reason. He also played 26 minutes, more than 3 minutes more than anyone else on the team. That is not by accident.

If it is true that PK will get better in the second half then we are in for some good times because he has been very good already, at least in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->