Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I'm looking so forward to Jericho vs Omega. I really need to watch some NJPW, I've seen it on once in a while and love the old school basic ring and arena without all the lights and HD panels.

If anyone has some time and would like to list the best NJPW to watch, preferably guys that will be on the Jericho card I would love to watch some.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
kimi is stretching fingers for this post.

watch omega, kushida, naito matches, i guess. (you could keep it at 2016, 2017 and figure it out)
hard to get ready in a month, but if you like wrestling you'll like most of the suggestions that will be thrown at you.
lots of ROH talent will be in the card. if you're into that. there will be names you will recognize.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm looking so forward to Jericho vs Omega. I really need to watch some NJPW, I've seen it on once in a while and love the old school basic ring and arena without all the lights and HD panels.

If anyone has some time and would like to list the best NJPW to watch, preferably guys that will be on the Jericho card I would love to watch some.

Watch all 3 Kenny Omega vs. Okada matches and pretty much any match involving either of them. Naito and Kushida are awesome too. And I'm a big fan of Will Ospreay and Ricochet if you're in to crazy athleticism. Although Ricochet left NJPW in October.

Reactions: Belieber

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
kimi is stretching fingers for this post.
It almost feels like I've got a reputation to uphold...

...Which I will. 'Cos I like making lists and NJPW was amazing this year. There were an insane number of great matches, like not even insane insane, but insane insane insane. They literally broke Meltzer's ratings scale multiple times. A match of the year from a few years ago would be hard pressed to break the top 10 from NJPW this year, and I wouldn't baulk at the notion that it would be outside the top 20!

It's not hyperbole, there have been 46 matches rated 4.5 stars or above this year in NJPW. For comparison, WWE has six (not counting NXT); and four of those were big multi-man matches. NJPWs' are all singles matches. You need to list 100 matches before you drop below four stars, WWE goes to about 20. It truly is insane.

If you have the time, it's worth watching the past year of PPVs on NJPW World. Skip the tag matches and go right to the singles and title matches. And cherry pick the G1 cards for the ton of great matches there too.

For matches, you really can't go wrong by picking any match on this page. Everything is great. My list of 10 really isn't fair to guys who didn't make it, there just isn't room to list everyone who's had at least one amazing match this year.

Okada vs Omega - Wrestle Kingdom 11
Okada vs Omega - Dominion (Oskaka-Jo Hall)
Okada vs Omega - G1 Climax Day 18
Shibata vs Okada - Sakura Genesis
Okada vs Suzuki - G1 Climax Day 16
Omega vs Ishii - USA Day 2
Omega vs Naito - G1 Climax Day 19
Ibushi vs Naito - G1 Climax Day 1
Tanahashi vs Naito - G1 Climax Day 17
Kushida vs Ospreay - Best of Super Juniors Final

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
While not a workrate guy one of the most entertaining guys in the business is The Master Thief Toru Yano. His whole gimmick is ridiculous over the top cheating like tearing off the turnbuckles, using tape to tie his opponent's legs together, and of course his finisher: a low blow. He's a great comedy match guy. I'd recommend the match he had with Omega in the G1 that was a hysterical parody of NJPW big matches and possibly the greatest comedy match ever.

Reactions: Belieber

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
While not a workrate guy one of the most entertaining guys in the business is The Master Thief Toru Yano. His whole gimmick is ridiculous over the top cheating like tearing off the turnbuckles, using tape to tie his opponent's legs together, and of course his finisher: a low blow. He's a great comedy match guy. I'd recommend the match he had with Omega in the G1 that was a hysterical parody of NJPW big matches and possibly the greatest comedy match ever.

Yano is the man. His comedic wrestling is far beyond whatever attempts WWF/E has made, ever. His gimmick is essentially just troll.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If you have the time, it's worth watching the past year of PPVs on NJPW World. Skip the tag matches and go right to the singles and title matches. And cherry pick the G1 cards for the ton of great matches there too.

For matches, you really can't go wrong by picking any match on this page. Everything is great. My list of 10 really isn't fair to guys who didn't make it, there just isn't room to list everyone who's had at least one amazing match this year.

Okada vs Omega - Wrestle Kingdom 11
Okada vs Omega - Dominion (Oskaka-Jo Hall)
Okada vs Omega - G1 Climax Day 18
Shibata vs Okada - Sakura Genesis
Okada vs Suzuki - G1 Climax Day 16
Omega vs Ishii - USA Day 2
Omega vs Naito - G1 Climax Day 19
Ibushi vs Naito - G1 Climax Day 1
Tanahashi vs Naito - G1 Climax Day 17
Kushida vs Ospreay - Best of Super Juniors Final

Good list.

There's so much quality in the NJPW product right now. The top guys are brilliant but they've done a great job building a quality midcard. They lose a brilliant worker in Shibata but they've still got a stacked roster. When you let guys go all out...you can see how great these guys truly are.

WWE wrestlers always have a governor attached to them. I can't imagine what kind of magic you could get out of Owens, Rollins, Styles, Balor, Nakamura and Joe if they were in (or back in) Japan. Great wrestling matches need a sense of danger when you're watching two guys work towards a pre-determined result.

Working stiff is an art form...it needs to appear like they're taking a beating but you don't have to go all to get there. You can't just do some generic moves and slap your lame finish on a guy. You need to make the appearance they've truly beaten your opponent.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It's two different business models, so it's unfair to compare them really. NJPW work hard, but most the time they take it easy in tag matches during the tours. WWE work easy, but they always work singles matches on the house shows so that the fans get better shows. WWE guys can't work like Japan, and I'm sure a lot of guys don't want to either. Nakamura moved to WWE because he wanted to stop doing the hard matches and being constantly hurt.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Michael Elgin seems to be in trouble if anyone is following the story.
Sold Glory Pro Wrestling and deleted social media
He's been taking off shows here in Canada.

(GPW wrestler and student of Elgin's ,Sean Orlean,s allegedly sexual assaulted a fan. the fan claims to have contacted Elgin immidiatly, but him and the company waited 8 months before doing anything about it and only fired Orleans then, because it became a big story)

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
On Monday, EVIL/SANADA vs. Guerillas of Destiny in the World Tag League final and for a title match with Killer Elite Squad at WK12.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I wanted to watch that show to see the tag finals but hearing about Jericho going after Kenny...love it. Wondered if they would take this up to January without an actual encounter.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Michael Elgin seems to be in trouble if anyone is following the story.
Sold Glory Pro Wrestling and deleted social media
He's been taking off shows here in Canada.

(GPW wrestler and student of Elgin's ,Sean Orlean,s allegedly sexual assaulted a fan. the fan claims to have contacted Elgin immidiatly, but him and the company waited 8 months before doing anything about it and only fired Orleans then, because it became a big story)

Just read into this, and it's not a great look for Elgin. I was thinking of catching AAW on December 30th for Elgin/Fenix, but I think I'll wait for a show without him on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->