Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Sabre Jr. is still gonna win.

Okada already has the "most days as champion" record, he's had that since just before Wrestle Kingdom. The record he's going for now is "most defences in a single reign". Tanahashi holds it at eleven, and Okada is on ten. So Okada vs Sabre Jr. would tie Okada with Tanahashi, then the Tanahashi match would be Tanahashi defending his record against Okada.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
They love Okada but I appreciate the fact they give so many different guys a shot at the title. It makes for a stronger brand overall even though it means Okada collects more scalps along the way instead of just beating the same few guys. He beat Kenny twice and Naito once...you don't have to have those top guys eating numerous losses to their champ if someone is eventually going over Okada.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They love Okada but I appreciate the fact they give so many different guys a shot at the title. It makes for a stronger brand overall even though it means Okada collects more scalps along the way instead of just beating the same few guys. He beat Kenny twice and Naito once...you don't have to have those top guys eating numerous losses to their champ if someone is eventually going over Okada.
He beat Naito twice. Naito is the one he took the title from.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
All the matches have been set up logically too:

Naito - Wins title
Marufuji - Beat Okada in G1 2016
Omega - Winner of G1
Suzuki - Invaded the night after Wrestle Kingdom
Shibata - Winner of New Japan Cup
Fale - Beat Okada in G1 2016
Omega - Draw. Okada called him out wanting a stronger opponent
Cody - Challenged Okada for the USA show
Evil - Beat Okada in G1 2017
Naito - Winner of G1
Sanada - Challenged Okada at New Years Dash
Sabre Jr. - Winner of New Japan Cup

I expect Tanahashi to be next to defend his record.

And the best part is that the next champion is going to have a massive pool to challengers. Everyone who's been built up to face Okada can easily be seen as a legit threat to any new champion.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
There was a fun fact in the Daily Update today. Sabre Jr. is the first Englishman to challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight title since 1995 when Shinya Hashimoto defended against Steven Regal.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
again, not my favorite, but i would be stupid to think this match against Okada wont be fun.
(did not follow the tournament at all either. he did go through people i love. im sure it was good. )

thats for when? (title shot)

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The match will be at Sakura Genesis, which is 1st April.

They've not announced the full card for it (the US show between now and then), but I'll post it when they do.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
And on the topic of cards, they've announced the card for the US show. Mysterio is off the show due to his injury, Ospreay is taking his place vs Liger.

Full Card:
Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs The Young Bucks
Jay White (c) vs Hangman Page - US Title
Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs Zack Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki
Jushin Thunder Liger vs Will Ospreay
Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi
Cody & Marty Scurll vs Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
Chuck Taylor & Toru Yano vss Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Lance Archer
Juice Robinson & David Finlay vs Hirooki Goto & Gedo
Rocky Romero, Sho & Yoh vs Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Been no bumps here all weekend, but NJPW's Strong Style Evolved from Long Beach is coming on in less than a half hour.

Really, kind of a strange show from what we're sort of used to, it's really more like a tour show as opposed to a real big show. Only Jay White vs. Hangman Page is a title match, but really the show is all about Bullet Club and their internal drama. Cody and Marty Scurll vs. GOD, and Golden Lovers vs. the Young Bucks is the main event. And the US Title match is really in a bad spot because it's going to be between the main event and Okada/Ishii vs. ZSJ/Suzuki.

This was also the show Rey Mysterio was supposed to face Jyushin Thunder Liger, but due to the injury, it's now Ospreay vs. Liger. And is the only other singles match. Everything else is a tag.

Really curious as to how this will be received because it is by no means a big show like the 2 shows were last year. I don't think it's one that will really appeal to new eyes looking to see what NJPW is all about. It's more like an old episode of Smackdown.

NJPW is supposed to be coming back later in the year, likely running the Cow Palace from what I've heard from Meltzer and Alvarez. Really testing the waters here for the California territory they've been wanting to set up. Okada did an interview with Meltzer this weekend where he said he wants to sell out Staples Center one day - something I think NJPW could do easily right now.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Been no bumps here all weekend, but NJPW's Strong Style Evolved from Long Beach is coming on in less than a half hour.

Really, kind of a strange show from what we're sort of used to, it's really more like a tour show as opposed to a real big show. Only Jay White vs. Hangman Page is a title match, but really the show is all about Bullet Club and their internal drama. Cody and Marty Scurll vs. GOD, and Golden Lovers vs. the Young Bucks is the main event. And the US Title match is really in a bad spot because it's going to be between the main event and Okada/Ishii vs. ZSJ/Suzuki.

This was also the show Rey Mysterio was supposed to face Jyushin Thunder Liger, but due to the injury, it's now Ospreay vs. Liger. And is the only other singles match. Everything else is a tag.

Really curious as to how this will be received because it is by no means a big show like the 2 shows were last year. I don't think it's one that will really appeal to new eyes looking to see what NJPW is all about. It's more like an old episode of Smackdown.

NJPW is supposed to be coming back later in the year, likely running the Cow Palace from what I've heard from Meltzer and Alvarez. Really testing the waters here for the California territory they've been wanting to set up. Okada did an interview with Meltzer this weekend where he said he wants to sell out Staples Center one day - something I think NJPW could do easily right now.
Yeah, it's an kind of an awkward show. Obviously there are stars and good matches, but it's not a clear "this is the world title and it's a big deal match" kind of card that you can easily sell to new fans. The last time with the tournament made it a really simple sell.

It feels like an indy show that's running a bit light on regulars and the champion is in the middle of a tag feud. The show's still good, but it's not a show you'd recommend people check out as a starting point to get them hooked.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fun opener, but the production from AXS is terrible. They just went to commercial but ended up back with a hot mic and Josh Barnett dropping a f-bomb. Missing a bunch of their graphic cues too.

Scorpio Sky also almost hit his head coming down on that tope.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lance Archer first person to make use of that low camera, including the guy holding it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
after that match and angle, sure doesn’t seem like Mysterio is coming to WWE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->