Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
His selling is what it is right now. It works, but I can understand complains. It's something he can tone down and work on for sure. But it's true for almost everyone, there's not universal rules for it so it's hard.
I can get why people don't like it either, but never really bothers me.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I was in the wrestling draft and had a blast. Now I will admit that my card was not that great but it was due to a lack of knowledge. I only really knew of wrestlers from early 90's until maybe 2003. I had picked watching wrestling off and on over the last year or two.

About a week ago I noticed Lucha Underground on Netflix. I thought I would give it a try. I have watched six episodes and all I will say is that I am throughly impressed.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I can get why people don't like it either, but never really bothers me.

Honestly...
It does not bother me too much either...
But I do find it a bit distracting at times.
Yes...
I get that it hurts...
But does he have to swear at all times?
Once or twice is fine...
But if he does it every single time...
That is just bad acting.
:laugh:

It is a minor issue though...
But I feel that if he learns to be more subtle...
It will just make his work that much better.
Heck...
I will even settle for Ziggler-style sells...
Because even if he is over-the-top too...
At least most of them are relatively realistic.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
First of all, Ospreay slays

Second of all, nothing even matters anymore after that entire show by New Japan

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Time limit draw with Omega and Okada. Cody Rhodes will challenge Okada in Long Beach.

It's really on more than one level they are building this up. Will Omega win, and will he stay in New Japan. Definitely makes G1 more interesting as well.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
God that match was insane. NJPW is hands down the best promotion in the world, I hope Kenny wins the inevitable Okada v Omega III and stays in Japan

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It sounded like it. Looking forward to devoting an hour to that.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
I don't think it indicates anything. They basically teased a draw in the first one anyway

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think it indicates anything. They basically teased a draw in the first one anyway

He keeps talking about wanting a big match with AJ Styles. He's building up enough where when he gets to WWE he'll have enough clout to keep everything that made him what he is. I think he's in WWE next year and it's why he hasn't won the belt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
i think nobody knows (njpw, Omega, etc)what they think will happen

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
He keeps talking about wanting a big match with AJ Styles. He's building up enough where when he gets to WWE he'll have enough clout to keep everything that made him what he is. I think he's in WWE next year and it's why he hasn't won the belt.

Omega also turned his WK loss into world wide speculation over whether this meant he was entering the Rumble, despite the fact it's completely unclear even now if Omega was even in a position to leave NJPW, and NJPW had already booked Omega into having a quiet month or two to assist the arrival of Suzuki-gun. It's completely impossible to tell the difference between Omega being sincere and trying to work you, particularly when he's taking about the present/the future. As Excalibur & Chuck Taylor said, he's just a weird dude. If Omega had been pinned at the 59 minute mark, then yeah I'd say the ghost is up. Instead everything is up in the air.

The other thing is that straight after the match Okada called himself the best IWGP Heavyweight Champion. This isn't true yet. But if he holds the belt until the 4th of January it will be. He'll have the longest title reign and he'll have the most combined days with the title. Having Okada to break these records now seems to make sense to me. I'm not sure giving the belt to Omega does much for the business for this year.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Fantastic match. Again. Okada is still the best in the world. Amazing. 10/10 will watch the next one.

Any yeah, it's really interesting thinking about how things will go. Obviously Omega is working everyone on every level right now, he's really good at it so we really have no clue at all what is really going to happen. I've always said he'll end up in WWE, but I don't think he's leaving until he defeats Okada for the title.

We know we're going to get a part three, and hopefully a part four too, and I expect G1 to play some part in it all. Lots of ways to set things up as you really can do anything in that tournament. Going to real fun to watch (again).

For what I'd do, I'd have Omega win the G1 again. Defeating Okada in the final. That gives you part four at Wrestle Kingdom where Omega can win the title. Part five can be Okada winning it back later. And if he isn't staying, then Okada wins at Wrestle Kingdom and Omega wins the Rumble and defeats Styles at 'Mania. I'm happy with both outcomes.

Also, **** those Japanese tables.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Omega may have been working people, but I think it was clear WWE was close to getting him, probably closer than he would've thought before. I think you keep Omega and Okada away from each other in G1 though.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The cards for the america shows:

Day One: (1/7)
1. Ten-Man Tag: CHAOS (Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe, Will Ospreay, Rockey Romero, & Beretta) vs Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yjiro Takahashi, Marty Scurll, Matt Jackson, & Nick Jackson)
2. Eight-Man Tag: Jushin Thunder Liger, Volador Jr, Dragon Lee, & Titan vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (Sanada, Evil, Bushi,& Hiromu Takahashi)
3. IWGP US Championship Tournament First Round: Jay Lethal vs Hangman Page
4. IWGP US Championship Tournament First Round: Juice Robinson vs Zack Sabre Jr.
5. Eight-Man Tag: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kushida, Jay White, & David Finlay vs Billy Gunn, Yo****atsu, Sho Tanaka, & Yohei Komatsu
6. IWGP Tag Team Championship: Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa) (c) vs War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe)
7. IWGP US Championship Tournament First Round: Tomohiro Ishii vs Tetsuya Naito
8. IWGP US Championship Tournament First Round: Michael Elgin vs Kenny Omega
9. IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Cody Rhodes

Day Two: (2/7)
IWGP Junior Tag Team Championship: The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (c) vs Roppongi Vice (Beretta & Rocky Romero)
IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Billy Gunn
IWGP US Championship Tournament Semi Final One: (Elgin OR Omega) vs (Lethal OR Page)
IWGP US Championship Tournament Semi Final Two: (Robinson OR Sabre Jr.) vs (Ishii OR Naito)
IWGP US Championship Tournament Final: (Semi Final One) vs (Semi Final Two)
(Card not fully set, probably more tags depending on the first day.)

EDIT:Heh, Yoshi Tatsu gets hit by filter. WTB fix.

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
G1 announcement dates:
20/6 Participants
26/6 Blocks
27/7 Cards

On Meltzer's show, he had a good idea for the america shows that I really like. You have Cody win the title from Omega, as Okada is worn out from the past matches he's had. Turns Cody into a heel to everyone as people know it's Omega's title to win, and sets up a ton of stories within Bullet Club that you can play out.

Not something I'd have thought of, but I like it.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Rosemary has really hit her stride on Impact.

I like Rosemary, but honestly the woman's division has become a train wreck compared to what it used to be. That last matchup between her and crazy drunk chick was garbage, not rosemary's fault though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dominion from Dave Meltzer (major matches):

Young Bucks/Romero & Beretta ****
GoD/War Machine ***1/2
Cody Rhodes/Michael Elgin ***1/2
Kushida/Takahashi ****3/4
Suzuki/Goto ***1/2
Tanahashi/Naito ****1/2
Okada/Omega ******1/4

That is not a typo.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Dominion from Dave Meltzer (major matches):

Young Bucks/Romero & Beretta ****
GoD/War Machine ***1/2
Cody Rhodes/Michael Elgin ***1/2
Kushida/Takahashi ****3/4
Suzuki/Goto ***1/2
Tanahashi/Naito ****1/2
Okada/Omega ******1/4

That is not a typo.

Any of these matches on youtube yet? If not when should we expect them on AXS?

I heard Omega-Okada 2 was somehow better than the first one.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
Essentially he thought it was even better than Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada from 1994 and the Tokyo Dome match, his previous two greatest matches ever, so I guess he felt the need to really record it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad