Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 stars for Kushida and Ospreay in the super junior final
Was surprised to see it was Kushia's first five-star match when I looked it up just now. He's had a lot of great matches, I had just assumed he had gotten one at some point. The O'Reilly match is prob my fav form him from a couple years ago, but that was 'only' 4.75.

And it's Ospreay's first singles 5-star match, first being the PWG six-man tag. But I knew that. Was never a doubt he'd get one, he's far too good not to. At the very least him and Ricochet would eventually get one when they decide to go all out for a match.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Kimi, as the UK expert when can I expect to see a card for RevPro Summer Sizzler?

Pretty keen to go see Mysterio vs Scurll but keen to see what else is on the card, all I can see is Rey and the ZSJ title match so far.

Also that British J Cup lineup is hot as **** as well.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
They'll probably announce things next week, the week after at the latest. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, the card is going to be good.

And ya, the J Cup is really stacked. But the match I'm looking forward to most from that is Riddle vs Ishii^^.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Thinking I might hit the J Cup as well. Still standing room seats for 20 quid or so, seems a good deal.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Was surprised to see it was Kushia's first five-star match when I looked it up just now. He's had a lot of great matches, I had just assumed he had gotten one at some point. The O'Reilly match is prob my fav form him from a couple years ago, but that was 'only' 4.75.

And it's Ospreay's first singles 5-star match, first being the PWG six-man tag. But I knew that. Was never a doubt he'd get one, he's far too good not to. At the very least him and Ricochet would eventually get one when they decide to go all out for a match.

I like Ospreay...
But he still needs to work on his selling.
He should realize that to convey pain...
One does not need to yell and swear all the time.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Meltzer - "Is there anyone you'd like to work with?"

Okada - "A few guys who have gone to WWE. Angle, AJ, Nakamura, Finn... no Karl Anderson."

:laugh:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Damn that match was terrific. Is Ospreay the best in the world?

He is probably the best high flyer in the world.
Ricochet has dropped to second...
And Ibushi is pretty much a heavyweight at this point.

For my money...
Okada is the best wrestler in the world right now.
He is on a historic run.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I re-watched the Omega-Ishii match...
And I am even more disappointed by it now.

I am fine with the result...
But Ishii should have been booked as a bigger threat.
Instead...
It was a glorified squash match...
At least for NJPW standard...
Because Omega just countered everything...
And that just feels wrong to me.
Ishii did have a victory over Okada...
After all...
And he deserved better.

Now...
It was a good match...
But it was probably 4 stars.

I will also be very surprised if Omega does not win the rematch at Dominion.
That Dontaku match pretty much telegraphed the result.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Can you watch the njpw ppv on a phone on njpw world?

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
He is probably the best high flyer in the world.
Ricochet has dropped to second...
And Ibushi is pretty much a heavyweight at this point.

For my money...
Okada is the best wrestler in the world right now.
He is on a historic run.
I don't watch much outside WWE, but man, force me to watch any person's matches and I'll pick Ospreay.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I don't watch much outside WWE, but man, force me to watch any person's matches and I'll pick Ospreay.

He needs to learn to slow down down though.
He is only 23...
But injuries has already piled up.
At this rate...
I am not sure how long before he will be forced to retire.

Unfortunately...
I feel he will be one of those wrestlers whose height is very short-lived.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
He needs to learn to slow down down though.
He is only 23...
But injuries has already piled up.
At this rate...
I am not sure how long before he will be forced to retire.

Unfortunately...
I feel he will be one of those wrestlers whose height is very short-lived.
I dunno.

While he does have to slow down, he is more than capable of having great non-flying matches too. He's not a one trick pony like a lot of guys are. I can see him reinventing himself down the line and still being really good.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I dunno.

While he does have to slow down, he is more than capable of having great non-flying matches too. He's not a one trick pony like a lot of guys are. I can see him reinventing himself down the line and still being really good.

All I have seen are high-flying matches though.
Which non-flying one would you recommend?

Personally...
He still has a lot to learn about in-ring psychology.
He is not the worst actor...
But he is a way too over-the-top seller...
And he can be a lot more subtle.

I think he will get there...
Because the potential is there...
But he definitely still has a lot of work to do.

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It's not really a single match or anything, just aspects of a lot of them from watching him for years now. He's good at wrestling, not just flips. But right now his gimmick is his match, so that's what you are going to get from him. Especially on the bigger shows.

His selling is what it is right now. It works, but I can understand complains. It's something he can tone down and work on for sure. But it's true for almost everyone, there's not universal rules for it so it's hard.

And yeah, he's still a mass of potential. I don't think he could walkout there tomorrow and be a totally different wrestler, but I think he's got the ability to become a different wrestler down the road.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't really dig Ospreay. If I hear of a good match I'll watch, but I'm usually left not liking it as much as others do. I just don't dig the style as much. Some of his work is awesome to me, but for the most part I'm left kind of "meh" on it. He's talented, don't get me wrong. Just not my favourite thing to watch.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dunno, I never use my phone for anything so I've never tried.

Blah, I'm bad at searching elsewhere although maybe I can find it. I'm away for the weekend and stuck without wifi

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
It's not really a single match or anything, just aspects of a lot of them from watching him for years now. He's good at wrestling, not just flips. But right now his gimmick is his match, so that's what you are going to get from him. Especially on the bigger shows.

His selling is what it is right now. It works, but I can understand complains. It's something he can tone down and work on for sure. But it's true for almost everyone, there's not universal rules for it so it's hard.

And yeah, he's still a mass of potential. I don't think he could walkout there tomorrow and be a totally different wrestler, but I think he's got the ability to become a different wrestler down the road.

I worry his body will break down before he gets there though.
He lands really hard on a lot of his moves...
And he already needs surgery at such a young age.

This is one instance I hope I am wrong.
It will be such a shame to see him retire early...
Or never reach his full potential because of injuries.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
so Okada/Omega at around 7AM ET? thats lunchtime for me, not too shabby

EDIT: Big Dave says 6am ET

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't really dig Ospreay. If I hear of a good match I'll watch, but I'm usually left not liking it as much as others do. I just don't dig the style as much. Some of his work is awesome to me, but for the most part I'm left kind of "meh" on it. He's talented, don't get me wrong. Just not my favourite thing to watch.
Did you watch this recent match?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->