OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part IV (Summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I don't get it either. Literally not one recruit has ever cited the trip to Europe as a reason why they chose Michigan. Their basketball company uniforms have more of a pull in recruiting.

I have a feeling Khakis is in for another rough season in Ann Arbor.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't get it either. Literally not one recruit has ever cited the trip to Europe as a reason why they chose Michigan. Their basketball company uniforms have more of a pull in recruiting.

I have a feeling Khakis is in for another rough season in Ann Arbor.

If they finish third or fourth in the Big Ten East again I can’t imagine the boosters will still be happy paying for those trips.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Franklin really is doing well in the MDV area. DJ Durkin can't be happy. It's preventing him from springboarding the Maryland job into a premier one.

Seems like a lot of kids in this cycle are looking immediate playing time as a major factor.

Reactions: Cody Webster

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Maryland (along with Rutgers & Indiana) playing in the Big Ten East is their biggest problem. They’re all pretty much capped behind Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, & Michigan State.

I honestly wish every conference would just break away from divisions like the Big 12 does. The best two teams overall in the conference go to the championship game every year.

Reactions: Scotty Pucks

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
True freshmen Trevor Lawerence is already clearing out the QB depth chart at Clemson. Hunter Johnson & Zerrick Cooper both are transferring. Austin Bryant was the starter last year & he’s even apparently feeling some heat from Lawerence & not a lock to remain the starter.

Hunter Johnson is the tenth 247 composite 5* QB out of sixteen since 2010 to transfer

2010 - Phillip Sims Alabama to Virginia
2011 - Jeff Driskel Florida to LA Tech

2011 - Braxton Miller Ohio State
2012 - Jameis Winston Florida State
2012 - Gunner Kiel Notre Dame to Cincinnati
2013 - Max Browne USC to Pittsburgh

2013 - Christian Hackenberg Penn State
2014 - Kyle Allen Texas A&M to Houston
2015 - Josh Rosen
2015 - Blake Barnett Alabama to Arizona State to USF
2015 - Kyler Murray Texas A&M to Oklahoma
2016 - Shea Patterson Ole Miss to Michigan
2016 - Jacob Eason Georgia to Washington

2017 - Davis Mills Stanford
2017 - Hunter Johnson Clemson to ???
2017 - Tua Tagovailoa Alabama

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
5 star QB's want to play, and play right away anymore. I was as shocked as anyone to see Fields commit to UGA after he saw what Fromm did.

Lawrence is going to be really good though. He has some crazy underrated athleticism on top of a cannon arm.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Maryland (along with Rutgers & Indiana) playing in the Big Ten East is their biggest problem. They’re all pretty much capped behind Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, & Michigan State.

I honestly wish every conference would just break away from divisions like the Big 12 does. The best two teams overall in the conference go to the championship game every year.
Agreed. I think Durkin was looking to capture some of the local talent, exceed expectations for a couple of years at Maryland, and jump ship to a big job. He may still do that, but it won't be easy with the B1G and ACC schools raiding his local talent pool.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Agreed. I think Durkin was looking to capture some of the local talent, exceed expectations for a couple of years at Maryland, and jump ship to a big job. He may still do that, but it won't be easy with the B1G and ACC schools raiding his local talent pool.

They had a pretty lousy year last year. They were down to like their fourth/fifth string QB pretty early into the year. So they lost whatever shine they had to begin with.

I think Durkin will high tail out of there as soon as he can but who knows. He may never even get a chance. Even getting beyond the QB issues last year they didn’t have anywhere near the athletes those four teams in the division did & that’s not really changing.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure Tyrod Taylor was the last number one player from the state of Virginia that Tech has pulled, and that was over ten years ago.

VT not only bleeds away talent like crazy in Hampton Roads, but to make matters worse, it's often to other ACC schools. FSU has made a living pulling kids out of Virginia Beach.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Franklin really is doing well in the MDV area. DJ Durkin can't be happy. It's preventing him from springboarding the Maryland job into a premier one.

Seems like a lot of kids in this cycle are looking immediate playing time as a major factor.
James Franklin is just what this program needed. If they can sustain this success and regularly be a 9 to 10 win team with the potential to win the conference every year, what more could we have hoped for? Especially with the way things were a few years ago.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm pretty sure Tyrod Taylor was the last number one player from the state of Virginia that Tech has pulled, and that was over ten years ago.

VT not only bleeds away talent like crazy in Hampton Roads, but to make matters worse, it's often to other ACC schools. FSU has made a living pulling kids out of Virginia Beach.

They haven't found a balance between recruiting their top local talent, and recruiting nationally, which they want to do because they feel they should be on that level.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I’m not a geography expert so you can correct me if I am wrong but it appears Penn State generally does well in the northern part of Virginia (at least in recent years) which is where Smith & Ford are from in this cycle.

The southern schools whether ACC or SEC more so clean up in the VA Beach area which is more to the south east part of the state?

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
James Franklin is just what this program needed. If they can sustain this success and regularly be a 9 to 10 win team with the potential to win the conference every year, what more could we have hoped for? Especially with the way things were a few years ago.
Franklin is a good coach, but PSU is program that sells itself in a lot of cases. Very good school, committed boosters, great facilities, pedigree of producing NFL talent, electric atmosphere, etc. I think Bill O'Brien would have been successful as well had he stuck around past the sanctions.

It was just that bad at the end under Paterno.

Reactions: Scotty Pucks

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I’m not a geography expert so you can correct me if I am wrong but it appears Penn State generally does well in the northern part of Virginia (at least in recent years) which is where Smith & Ford are from in this cycle.

The southern schools whether ACC or SEC more so clean up in the VA Beach area which is more to the south east part of the state?
Yes, that is correct. The geography plays a big part in that. DC/NOVA is in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic. It feels like the northeast, hence why it's B1G territory. Alabama is really the only southern school that's had much luck breaking into the northern part of the state, but then again, they're Alabama. I don't think Bama even has a lead recruiter in VA; they just come take who they want.

Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Chesapeake is the south. Those kids, for the most part, want to play down south.

I'd say over the past 5 or 6 years, Ohio State, Penn State, and even ND have done the best job at recruiting the state as a whole, but Florida State owns Virginia Beach.

The problem with Virginia is the bust rate among players is really high once you get past about the top five players in the state in any given cycle, even for mid to highly ranked four star players. So despite the state's history of producing some uber talents (Vick, Harvin, Chancellor, Taylor), the amount of actual college talent is pretty low. Unfortunately for Virginia Tech (UVA and UNC), those are the guys they are going after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad