Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Would a golf event featuring Team International, USA and Europe work instead of the president's cup? Maybe have a team from each country in a group and have it skins style with carry overs. 6 PGA Players in a group would take forever though on the fourball days. I don't know but it seems like the President's Cup needs an overhaul.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I think the only way the Internationals can compete is if the teams are capped at 4 or 5 members. Hideki, Day, Leishman, Louis, and Grace/Scott can probably be competitive against a team of the Americans' top-5 (DJ, Spieth, Thomas, two of Fowler/Koepka/Reed) and the Europeans' (Rory, Rahm, Sergio, Stenson, Rose). Obviously they'd be the underdogs in this scenario but the point is that it's the depth for the Internationals that kills them. As somebody said earlier, a guy like Lahiri doesn't crack the Americans' B-team, and he probably wouldn't be on my European B-team either. Tough to overcome that.

Pretty much what I'd like to see is anything other than what they have currently.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Should be two or three player teams from different countries and called the Golf World Cup or something like that. Would be very fun to watch, that would be so much better than the Presidents Cup.

16 countries, lets say three man teams for now, this is how it could look. I'm gonna go by the World Rankings, top teams that qualify are 16 countries with the highest ranked players. Just went through the OWGR list, picked out the first 16 countries.

Countries: USA, Japan, Spain, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Australia, England, Italy, South Africa, Belgium, Austria, Venezuela, South Korea, Canada, Argentina, Scotland

We could seed it as well, gives us these groups

Pot 1: USA, Japan, Spain, Northern Ireland
Pot 2: Sweden, Australia, England, Italy
Pot 3: South Africa, Belgium, Austria, Venezuela
Pot 4: South Korea, Canada, Argentina, Scotland

Group 1: USA (D. Johnson, Spieth, Thomas), Italy (F. Molinari, Paratore, E. Molinari) , Austria (Wiesberger, Wiegele, Nemecz), Canada (Hadwin, DeLaet, Hughes)

Group 2: Japan (Matsuyama, Ikeda, Tanihara), England (Rose, Casey, Fleetwood), Belgium (Pieters, Colsaerts, Detry), South Korea (Kim, An, Wang)

Group 3: Spain (Rahm, Garcia, Cabrera-Bello), Australia (Day, Leishman, Scott), South Africa (Oosthuizen, Schwartzel, Grace), Scotland (Knox, Laird, Ramsey)

Group 4: Northern Ireland (McIlroy, McDowell, Hoey), Sweden (Stenson, Noren, Lingmerth), Venezuela (Vegas, Murillo, Velazquez), Argentina (Grillo, Romero, Gomez)

How it could play out?

QF's: USA vs. Northern Ireland, England vs. Australia, Spain vs. Japan, Sweden vs. Canada
SF's: USA vs. Sweden, England vs. Spain
F: USA vs. Spain

This could take like 10 days, but it would fun to watch.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If anyone wants to watch next year's Open venue, watch the Dunhill Links this weekend on the European Tour. It'll play much harder next summer, but still a good preview of Carnoustie.

Jan 3, 2012
It appears I cannot edit the thread title to update the year. I don;t know if I should bother with that now, or if we should ride this thread out until the new year when the real season starts then someone can contact a mod and start a new one.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
That was a fascinating listen. I really enjoy Rory's candidness and honesty. Very well spoken and intelligent when it comes to opining on separating athletes (as a fan) from the person too.

Most hilarious segment of the interview was Rors saying he'd like to switch places with Galileo standing at stud. :laugh:

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It appears I cannot edit the thread title to update the year. I don;t know if I should bother with that now, or if we should ride this thread out until the new year when the real season starts then someone can contact a mod and start a new one.
Not being able to edit thread titles is a crime. @Fugu, you are demanded... respond immediately.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was a fascinating listen. I really enjoy Rory's candidness and honesty. Very well spoken and intelligent when it comes to opining on separating athletes (as a fan) from the person too.

Most hilarious segment of the interview was Rors saying he'd like to switch places with Galileo standing at stud. :laugh:

I agree, very likable guy.

Now if he could start playing some better golf................

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I kinda wish Bethpage was in 2018 for the PGA. It'd make it the best year ever in terms of major venues. Augusta, Shinnecock, Carnoustie and Bethpage.

Instead Bellerive has to go and f*** it all up.

Jan 3, 2012
Keegan leading in Asia.

Does anyone know what happened to him after 2012? Great breakthrough then... nothing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Golf has two stars, Jordan and Rory, although that can change, you gotta maintain a good level. Phil is a star who's game has faded, Tiger will have to reprove himself as a star, although no one doubts he's one of the best ever. DJ, Day, Fowler, those guys are not stars. Adam Scott, Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Henrik Stenson, Justin Rose were never stars because of their world ranking or winning a major or this big event or this money title. That means nothing. If you are to ask someone who are the NHL's stars, they'd say McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, Karlsson, not Backstrom, Marchand, Burns, Simmonds.

Thomas will have to prove himself to be a star. Being a star likely means putting himself on a trajectory for a top 10-15 career in the sport. Can Thomas do that? Maybe, he'll have to prove that over more than one year. Same applies to Schauffele, although its way premature to say that, lets see him win a major first, same for Rahm, same for Berger, same for Matsuyama. They are all behind the trajectory of what one would normally consider a star, but ground can be made up. I think the best judge is usually history though. Thomas and Rahm are on trajectories where I think its possible, although I wouldn't even say 50% yet that either will be all-time golfers. I'd be shocked if any of the others become stars. Golfs next stars likely have not began their pro careers. This era is lucky though that it has two stars, the era following Tiger/Phil had none (Sergio was supposed to be that era's star), and the era before them probably only had one star (Faldo), borderline for Norman, although I'd lean no.

Thats only my opinion of course, but I think the term is thrown around way too loosely. Everytime Fowler gets a win, they say he's a star. His whole golfing career is worse than the season Thomas just had, which proves the point. No one's gonna care about the Fowler marketing machine at the end of his career. What are his numbers? These guys will be judged on numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad