Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone remember the Cantlay predictions? I ended up being wrong. I said top 25, he's 38th. I predict top 10 by the end of 2018.

Where are all the younger golfers though? Youngest is 22, thats rather old for the youngest in the top 50. Where are golf's future stars?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Maybe not a future star but I'll predict that the next 21 and under guy to break into the top 100 is Marcus Kinhult. He's popped up once or twice as a teenager in some European Tour events over the past few years and had a solid amateur career. Finished 5th in the Challenge Tour points standings this year to get his European Tour card for 2018.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There really doesn't seem to be many up and coming stars in the young pro ranks right now.

Haotong, Kim, not exactly stars. I like Hossler's game, but lets see him prove himself this year in the same way Rahm did in his rookie season. If he doesn't, it probably tells us he's not that good. The stars, Spieth, McIlroy, Rahm, Thomas were really good right away as pros. Varying levels of really good, but a so-so season from Hossler won't be good sign. Same applies for Wise, although I don't think he's as good as Hossler. The names in Europe, Connelly, Rai, Paratore, Kinhult, Horsfield, Connor Syme, Jonathan Thomson all have to prove themselves. None are that young. The current stars all did right away. Im and Khongwatmai are under 20, and doing rather well in Asia. Now they need to come to the PGA Tour or European Tour, and prove themselves.

The next stars probably aren't pros yet. Spieth, Thomas, Rahm in a two year span is incredibly good, but they are already proven, so not really "young up and comers" anymore. The next crop seems a little weak. Fitzpatrick has kind of faded the last year or two. He's good, but he hasn't established himself as a top player. He's more in the in-between category.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Thomas was still the biggest surprise for me, he really proved me wrong this year. I thought his potential was something like 10-15th in the world, not top-3.

In terms of negative surprises, Rory is an obvious one but the guy who fell off the map the most this year was definitely Bubba. I think he's dumped the dumb Volvik balls that he played this year, so maybe he'll be back in form in 2018?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rahm at #4 in his first full pro season is very impressive. Could he contend for #1 on that list in 2018? I think he could, although he's not really that young. He's very good, but the youth thing no longer really applies for him. He's gotta start to defeat Spieth, Thomas, Johnson, McIlroy, Day, players like that. How will Rahm perform in majors next season?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
So uh,

This seems like an odd time to split with his swing coach. It looked great at the Hero.

@Pavel Buchnevich @Soliloquy of a Dogge
I think it's a good thing. Most people have said that Tiger needs to figure it out himself instead of getting enveloped in overly technical swing mechanics etc and while I have no clue what him and Como worked on, the swing we saw in the Bahamas was drastically different than anything we saw during his time with Como.

Perhaps the back surgeries were a blessing in disguise and he had time to go back and really study the good aspects of his earlier swing mechanics as an amateur and wet behind the ears professional. Healthy and finally able to play golf instead of golf swing, as it were.

If that was the case and Como didn't play an instrumental roll in him rediscovering and being able to implement what we saw at the Hero, makes sense to part ways amicably. Whatever transpired, I just hope Tiger bottles what he found and doesn't tinker with it too much. He's in a good place technically and found a swing that won't exacerbate his back issues. Do not touch it, please.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Wait, you're married?

You've never told us anything about yourself.

Yeah I think he could do better, but if they're happy, then that's what matters. Ain't all about looks.

Heck, maybe he'll break off the engagement to go marry someone who is even less attractive?
Yeah, I was just being silly... I'm not that shallow lol

I mentioned I was engaged to my fiance like multiple times over the past couple years. Finally got married at the end of Summer. You should know these things Wobbl :P

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah, I was just being silly... I'm not that shallow lol

I mentioned I was engaged to my fiance like multiple times over the past couple years. Finally got married at the end of Summer. You should know these things Wobbl :P

I'll probably ask you again in three weeks. What do you do for work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->