Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Nike needs to fix their shit. Like 1/3 of all the players out today are wearing some shade of pink. Why are they still doing this?

And I understand it's Mother's Day so they wear more pink than normal, but it's just even more pronounced today because of the extra Nike pink.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl
Jan 3, 2012
Sad to see Tiger double on 17, but I don't think it matters, it was an overall solid week. Nice that he is close to OWGR #50. Be nice if he can get into the field for bridgestone.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Webb doubled 18... worst case scenario. Not only was the tournament boring, but Webb couldn't even make it historically significant by murdering the field. Now instead of winning by 7 or 8 or 9, he wins by 4. Two bad unmemorable tournaments in a row for The Players.

Also, Thomas to #1 in the OWGR. Disappointed that he didn't really have to work that hard to earn it and got it mainly because of DJ's lackluster play lately. JT admitting that #1 was a distraction to him at the WGC Match Play could have made for some good theatre down the road. At least we still have Rahm, who's probably also distracted by the allure of #1.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I also don't want to offend or hurt anybody who frequents this thread, but Webb Simpson now has a better résumé than Rickie Fowler. Just putting that out there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I also don't want to offend or hurt anybody who frequents this thread, but Webb Simpson now has a better résumé than Rickie Fowler. Just putting that out there.

I get your point, but Simpson's resume is unimpressive. 5 years without a PGA Tour win means you pretty much suck, unless you are like Tiger where you are injured all those years.

Even without Fowler winning a major, I think he's had the better career. I also think Fowler's had an unimpressive career, so thats not to say Fowler's career isn't overrated.

Jan 3, 2012
Look at who wins the event. Look at how the best players in the world play the course.

I don't see how this is valid criticism of the Players. But I would agree that to some degree the Players is more hype than merit regarding its status.

On the topic of Webb Simpson, according to Wikipedia, he has the US Open win in 2012, and not a single other major top ten. That's crazy if you ask me. I definitely think he has to be Stewart Cink/Lucas Glover/ YE Yang tier major champion. I see the point that he now has a better career than Fowler but it is definitely been longer than Fowler's. I would assume that Fowler would be crushing him if you don't count wins.

However Webb did lose in a playoff last year at WMPO, so he definitely has been having a bit of a career resurgence the last couple of years. I don't think it is unreasonable to see him in a Ryder Cup spot if he keeps it up.

Despite the fact that I find myself constantly defending Rickie, I do somewhat agree with you guys that his career to this point has been a little underwhelming/not lived up to the hype. I don't think that takes away from the fact that he is a top 5-20ish player in the world these days.

Though if we are going to talk about underwhelming/disappointing careers, how does Kuchar compare to Fowler? Almost an identical resume minus minor tour wins.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Since I brought it up, these are the current USA standings. Honestly I don't think you can debate the top 8, except for Mickelson, even with his win, if he falls out of auto qualifying, I think there are better young players and he should hang up his hat and go as an assistant captain. As far as captain's picks, you know if he says healthy and wants to play, Tiger will get one. He can also definitely get top 8 if he grabs a win. As far as the second pick, I'm inclined to want to choose between Simpson, DeChambeau or Schauffele. I would take Schauffele if he grabs a win or closes out the season hot. Hard to know how the captains split their decision, whether they base it on recent form or reputation.

11PATRICK REED6,728.501
22JUSTIN THOMAS6,352.273
33DUSTIN JOHNSON5,161.597
44JORDAN SPIETH4,679.158
55BUBBA WATSON4,102.303
66RICKIE FOWLER3,815.197
78BROOKS KOEPKA3,712.548
87PHIL MICKELSON3,673.247
923Webb SIMPSON3,622.307
109Matt KUCHAR3,211.860
1110Brian HARMAN2,793.115
1212Bryson DECHAMBEAU2,264.505
1311Kevin KISNER2,240.882
1432Xander SCHAUFFELE2,143.524
1513Tony FINAU2,019.758
1614Luke LIST1,954.644
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jan 3, 2012
16 years since the Players and all four majors were held by Americans, crazy.

srz4n50nitx01.jpg

shamelessly stolen from r/golf.

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Lucas Glover's wife is charged with domestic violence after 'attacking' him for playing a poor round | Daily Mail Online

Lucas told deputies how 'when he plays a bad round of golf, Krista proceeds to start an altercation with him and telling him how he is a loser and a p***y, how he needs to fire everyone, and how he'd better win or her and the kids would leave him and he would never see the kids again,' the report reads.

'Wait till the tour (PGA) hears about this,' she yelled, according to the report. 'You will lose your job. This is why cops get shot in the face. Wait till I talk with the judge, you will be f***ng fired over this.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad