All-Purpose Final Fantasy Thread

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm still on my way through the FFX HD Re-Master right now, just finished Zanarkand and got the Airship and have been powering up Celestials.

For the first time ever, I actually dodged the 200 lightning bolts and powered up the Onion Knight first of any of the Celestials. I wanted it to be my first one so that I didn't put it off like I usually do.

Had my first experience with a Dark Aeon too, and it didn't go well. I was going back to Besaid to get Al Bhed Primer II which I missed and upon re-entering the town, I was approached by some guy calling me and infidel, followed by getting game over'd in 3 turns... lol.

All I have to say is.... **** getting Lulu's weapon. I don't know what it is, I can't dodge those bolts to save my life. I think the longest streak I have had was 5?

I decided to finish up the Aark Aeons, monster capturing and beating Nemesis over the three day weekend. Got to Penance last night. I love the amp'd up version of Hymn of the Fayth for that battle. Actually not that difficult of a fight. Just takes a few tries to learn the mechanics.

This was #1 on my backlog of games I have to finish. Next is FF XII, BOTW (still work on that each week), as well as Horizon Zero Dawn. It is a beautiful game. Stunning. I just can't get that into it. Again, open world fatigue.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
All I have to say is.... **** getting Lulu's weapon. I don't know what it is, I can't dodge those bolts to save my life. I think the longest streak I have had was 5?

I decided to finish up the Aark Aeons, monster capturing and beating Nemesis over the three day weekend. Got to Penance last night. I love the amp'd up version of Hymn of the Fayth for that battle. Actually not that difficult of a fight. Just takes a few tries to learn the mechanics.

This was #1 on my backlog of games I have to finish. Next is FF XII, BOTW (still work on that each week), as well as Horizon Zero Dawn. It is a beautiful game. Stunning. I just can't get that into it. Again, open world fatigue.
There's a trick to it. There's a certain spot a little south of the rest stop that triggers a lightning bolt if you run between it and a nearby tower. It took me about 45 minutes to finish the challenge. I got stalled at 157 for a while... It's nearly impossible to do without a No Encounter piece of gear.

I hope to be ready to battle a couple of the dark aeons by this weekend. I've got a lot of monster catching to do, though. :\

Edit: As for Horizon Zero Dawn, like you said, beautiful game, but I just can't get into it for whatever reason. Maybe someday.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There's a trick to it. There's a certain spot a little south of the rest stop that triggers a lightning bolt if you run between it and a nearby tower. It took me about 45 minutes to finish the challenge. I got stalled at 157 for a while... It's nearly impossible to do without a No Encounter piece of gear.

I hope to be ready to battle a couple of the dark aeons by this weekend. I've got a lot of monster catching to do, though. :\

Edit: As for Horizon Zero Dawn, like you said, beautiful game, but I just can't get into it for whatever reason. Maybe someday.

Piece of advice, don't waste too much time on getting good armor. If you can get one piece of Ribbon armor to drop from Dark Valefor, customize another piece from the 99 dark matters you get and then have a third piece that is some combination of stoneproof/deathproof/confuseproof, you should be able to get by against the Dark Aeons & Monster Arena creations. You don't need Ribbon against Penance and unless you plan on having like 50k HP, you can easily get by against Penance with 9999 and 20% Defense + Auto Protect/Haste/Potion on the other three slots.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Piece of advice, don't waste too much time on getting good armor. If you can get one piece of Ribbon armor to drop from Dark Valefor, customize another piece from the 99 dark matters you get and then have a third piece that is some combination of stoneproof/deathproof/confuseproof, you should be able to get by against the Dark Aeons & Monster Arena creations. You don't need Ribbon against Penance and unless you plan on having like 50k HP, you can easily get by against Penance with 9999 and 20% Defense + Auto Protect/Haste/Potion on the other three slots.
Thanks for the tips, man. I was planning to try a variety of different armor builds for the different dark aeons just to toy around with the possibilities. I'm really really looking forward to these fights.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I didn't mean in terms of the story details, I just meant that the latter portion of the game knocks it down a tier for me. I found the whole open world find everybody again aspect tedious and boring. I didn't care nearly enough about anywhere near enough of the characters. VI is actually one of the few FF's I haven't beaten (only joined by VIII and XV among official releases in the states).
Oh, I see.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
This thread seems to be going pretty well. I'm thinking of starting a thread for a couple other series. I have a Metal Gear Solid thread prepared to post later.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm with you on XIII. I'm convinced there's a solid game in there, both in terms of battle system and plot, but as you said, the battle system takes way too long to open up and the dialouge/writing is largely subpar (although I will say I think the scene with Vanille and Sazh on their own is among the best in the series).

We were talking about VIII earlier and I feel much the same way about that game to an even greater extent in terms of the battle system. It's an example where a bad one (or even just a poor implementation of the junction system) completely broke the game for me.

Then there's XV, which has very few redeeming qualities IMO. Ironically, one is probably the writing and voice acting among your party, which is something they've struggled with in every game with VA's except XII.

I completely understand if people can't get into the battle systems of XII and XIII though.

XIII is another interesting case. So many things about that game I didn't like. The draw system most of all. Just tedious and boring

But the weapon and armor system stunk too. And the lengthy Summon animations.

I made it to the final boss, couldn't beat it and have never played through the game since.

The games only redeeming quality IMO was the normal battle music, which may be my favorite in the series.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
o8xjcy.jpg

I'd actually recommend this for those that have yet to play FFXV

The version that most of us played at the beginning was a bit of a mess, and a game I'd probably give a 6.5 or 7 out of 10

But with all the additions that were added to the Royal Edition, I think it's worth for first time players.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
o8xjcy.jpg

I'd actually recommend this for those that have yet to play FFXV

The version that most of us played at the beginning was a bit of a mess, and a game I'd probably give a 6.5 or 7 out of 10

But with all the additions that were added to the Royal Edition, I think it's worth for first time players.
Hmm. I may consider this... I've never played FFXV (haven't played much past XII tbh)

Reactions: X66

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Hmm. I may consider this... I've never played FFXV (haven't played much past XII tbh)

This is coming from a guy that was very critical on the version of XV that most of us played.

But they added a lot of content in this version, and cut down on some hated aspects of the old version.

You get a new dungeon, and they cut down on the worst part of the game(and the worst part of the entire franchise), chapter 13.
Bigger Map
First person mode
More gear
More bosses
New moves
All of the DLC, which is crucial because without it there were parts in the original play-through that made absolutely no sense lol. So you get 3 extra stories.
Multiplayer mode, which I've heard good things about.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
This is coming from a guy that was very critical on the version of XV that most of us played.

But they added a lot of content in this version, and cut down on some hated aspects of the old version.

You get a new dungeon, and they cut down on the worst part of the game(and the worst part of the entire franchise), chapter 13.
Bigger Map
First person mode
More gear
More bosses
New moves
All of the DLC, which is crucial because without it there were parts in the original play-through that made absolutely no sense lol. So you get 3 extra stories.
Multiplayer mode, which I've heard good things about.
Sounds like quite a bit of content there! I'm a lot more of an old-school FF player, but I wouldn't mind jumping into a newer title.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Finally got the Jupiter Sigil after grinding through about 30 Blitzball games... lol

Now I'll have more luck taking out the arena creations.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
IX, IV, XV, VII, X in some order like that.

IX was my first. Was 12 when it came out and I stayed up all night at a friends house watching him play it. Opened me up to console JRPGs and never looked back. Tales probably took over as favorite series though.
Pretty solid list. I've still gotta get into XV. Like we mentioned earlier in the thread, I think that most peoples' first is usually their favorite.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Not too happy about the FFVII Remake being a no-show at E3... Things must not be going too swimmingly...

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
Not too happy about the FFVII Remake being a no-show at E3... Things must not be going too swimmingly...
It is Square we're taking about. The Remake was announced in 2015 (?) , so I wouldn't expect any real news or a Release date before 2023.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Finally got the Jupiter Sigil after grinding through about 30 Blitzball games... lol

Now I'll have more luck taking out the arena creations.
I finally beat Penance on Saturday night. If you're prepared, the battle itself isn't difficult. What makes it difficult is that you must be very precise in your actions and because the battle drags on for so long, there is plenty of room to screw up. But, I have finally cleared all of FFX, including Nemesis.

The music when you fight Penance... outstanding. I don't know if they play that particular version of the hymn anywhere else in the game.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I finally beat Penance on Saturday night. If you're prepared, the battle itself isn't difficult. What makes it difficult is that you must be very precise in your actions and because the battle drags on for so long, there is plenty of room to screw up. But, I have finally cleared all of FFX, including Nemesis.

The music when you fight Penance... outstanding. I don't know if they play that particular version of the hymn anywhere else in the game.

That's pretty awesome, I'm looking forward to that. I've gotten to beating two of the Dark Aeons so far, Valefor and Ixion. I've gotten the gear that I'm going to use for most of the Dark Aeon fights, but I don't have any Ribbon gear yet.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That's pretty awesome, I'm looking forward to that. I've gotten to beating two of the Dark Aeons so far, Valefor and Ixion. I've gotten the gear that I'm going to use for most of the Dark Aeon fights, but I don't have any Ribbon gear yet.
You need it for Yojimbo, Bahamut and Anima. You get 99 Dark Matter at one point from the monster arena guy. That will customize one ribbon. You may be able to get away with Stoneproof/deathproof/etc. for the other two but I can't remember what particular status that Bahamut's Impulse and Anima's Pain inflict on you.

I also hope you did the O'aka side quests and gave him money. If you did, his brother Wantz sells blank 4 slot armors at the entrance to Macalania woods and you can customize those for the Penance/ other dark Aeon fights. If not, you may have to spend some time farming Dark Yojimbo.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
You need it for Yojimbo, Bahamut and Anima. You get 99 Dark Matter at one point from the monster arena guy. That will customize one ribbon. You may be able to get away with Stoneproof/deathproof/etc. for the other two but I can't remember what particular status that Bahamut's Impulse and Anima's Pain inflict on you.

I also hope you did the O'aka side quests and gave him money. If you did, his brother Wantz sells blank 4 slot armors at the entrance to Macalania woods and you can customize those for the Penance/ other dark Aeon fights. If not, you may have to spend some time farming Dark Yojimbo.
Yeah, I did the O'aka thing and have at least Auto-Haste customized on everyone and some shell/protect/phoenix throughout with empty spots for Ribbon or some other protections.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->